Thread: Lakers 2016-2017 Thread

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

This is what a really dislike about the Buss family. They don't get along that then these types of stories are released trashing one another. Jeanie has the sympathetic ear of Ramona and a couple other writers. I think Kevin Ding is one. (There's article out there from a while back which includes an account of the tragedy of her dog dying.) She gives these reporters access and they provide her with good coverage. But the whole "woe is me" angle and the tough decisions she had to make, etc., is pure spin.

Again, that is her MO. When Kobe got his extension, Jeanie originally defended it as a prime example of what her father stood for and would have done. When Kobe sucked, she turned around and said the contract was Jim's and Mitch's idea, not hers. She was a big time supporter of trying to re-sign Howard and now this article claims she asked Jim and Mitch why they didn't trade him when they had the chance. It was crystal clear at the time what Jim and Mitch had decided to do: re-sign Dwight or use the cap space to try to sign someone else. Obviously, it didn't work, but there was no mystery to what the plan was. Mitch discussed it openly with the media at the time.

The fact that the article implies she was for signing Carmelo Anthony is very telling. We dodged a bullet there. Had they signed him and the team wasn't successful, Jeanie would be blaming it on her brother now.

Ramona is a good writer and it's pretty clear its a 4 vs. 2 situation in the Buss family and Jeanie will win in the end. But if this team doesn't succeed under Magic, Jeanie's not going to have anyone left to blame.

Not trying to suggest that Jim should have been retained. He was a disaster. But Jeanie's need to get stories like this one out about the family's squabbles is part of the problem.

Edit: By the way, Magic making claims of what Jerry Buss supposedly told him from his death bed (pro-Magic, anti-Jim) is a pretty classless move. Does anyone not understand that this is a hit piece orchestrated by Jeanie and Magic?
    Last edited by HeadInjury; March 8th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)

None of us here knows the real story. If Jim thought there were fabrications in the story, he would certainly want to tell his side. I don't see him doing that. His silence speaks volumes.

Bottom line is Jim is gone. We all wanted that.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

And right on cue, Jeanie's other favored reporter, Kevin Ding, comes out with an article trashing Mitch Kupchak. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...a-front-office

Ok, I'm done with the Jeanie bashing, as I've made whatever point there is to make. Like I said, I hope it works out. We will need a good deal of luck to keep our draft pick this year, but if we do we will have a nice young core, including a youngster or two available in trade for an upgrade. We've got a promising albeit inexperienced coach. And of course Jim being out of the picture won't hurt either.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Lakers lose to Philly when Randle's buzzer beater doesn't connect. Lakers are 1.5 games ahead of Phoenix in the tank standings. Next closest team is Orlando, 3.5 games behind. 10 of the Lakers' last 16 games are at home, but aside from one game against Sacramento (who is terrible without Cousins), the Lakers won't be favored in any of their remaining games. Phoenix has two remaining games with Sacramento, and a game each against Brooklyn and Orlando, plus are 4-6 in their last 10, so there's a pretty decent shot Lakers will hold onto the #2 worst record.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Lakers lose to Philly when Randle's buzzer beater doesn't connect. Lakers are 1.5 games ahead of Phoenix in the tank standings. Next closest team is Orlando, 3.5 games behind. 10 of the Lakers' last 16 games are at home, but aside from one game against Sacramento (who is terrible without Cousins), the Lakers won't be favored in any of their remaining games. Phoenix has two remaining games with Sacramento, and a game each against Brooklyn and Orlando, plus are 4-6 in their last 10, so there's a pretty decent shot Lakers will hold onto the #2 worst record.
    Still can't believe that out of all the games they won, it was stupidly against Phoenix.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Zubac with 25 points and 11 rebounds last night in 30 minutes. Nothing else worth mentioning.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Lakers lose to Cavs 125-120. D'Lo went off for 40. Irving had even more.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Orlando beats Philly and both are now 6 ahead of the Lakers in the win column. So now just a battle with Phoenix for the second worst record. Lakers 2 games ahead with 12 left.

Note there is no tiebreaker. If Lakers and Phoenix end up tied they will just split 2nd and 3rd place odds evenly.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Orlando beats Philly and both are now 6 ahead of the Lakers in the win column. So now just a battle with Phoenix for the second worst record. Lakers 2 games ahead with 12 left.

Note there is no tiebreaker. If Lakers and Phoenix end up tied they will just split 2nd and 3rd place odds evenly.
    There is no way the Lakers **** this up right? Other than the lottery screwing us over. But even then, I think we're due for a #1 pick. The NBA still owes us from that Chris Paul fiasco.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Odds wise, it's basically just a coin flip's chance that we keep our pick.