Thread: Lakers 2016-2017 Thread

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3054 Post(s)

Kind of wish we could see what the healthy Lakers could do. But nooooooooo, always gotta have injuries. It's like we're cursed.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Lakers started the season with a record of 10-10. They will reach 20-20 if they can win 9 games in a row.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

I'm starting to get a little annoyed at Jose Calderon. He got zero points last night. Had he scored 41, we would have won.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

After starting 10-10, the Lakers have gone 6-24 and now have the second worst record in the League.

Russell is injured and the team usually isn't competitive without him.

On the bright side, Zubac is getting minutes now and looks promising. Nance is also back from injury.

Interesting choice to be made on Lou Williams. Might be able to get a late first rounder for him. Team's leading scorer even though coming off the bench.

Note that if the lottery balls are kind again and the Lakers keep their first round pick (top three protected), Philly will get the Lakers' 2018 pick and Orlando will not get the first round pick the Lakers still owe them from the Dwight Howard trade. Instead it gets converted to two second round picks. So keeping their pick this year is actually a big deal.

Absent trading Williams, there isn't much the Lakers can do to tank since they are already playing their young players a lot. There isn't much difference in production between the young players and the vets. I guess they could throw MWP out there for 30 minutes a game, but the young players need those minutes.

If they start winning again and lose the pick fine, but there is a potential silver lining in this.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Russell returned to action and the Lakers won. I don't think it was a coincidence. Their starting lineup is a disaster without him.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Jeanie Buss has hired Magic Johnson as a special advisor. He has no defined role really, but will report to her.

As low of an opinion that most have of Jim Buss, I think even less of Jeanie. She has no BB acumen whatsoever. When she's interviewed she tries to avoid getting into a discussion of basketball X's and O's. When she does, she can barely form complete sentences, let alone make any sense.

Hiring Magic is a classic Jeanie move because everything is PR with her, so she goes with the most popular person she can think of. Plus Phil Jackson is unavailable and broke her heart.

Magic has had zero success in basketball operations. He was a horrible coach. He's a terrible BB commentator too.

My guess is that Jeanie wants someone with some gravitas "advising" her so that when she pulls the plug on Jim Buss it looks like she's doing it for reasons other than her personal problems with her brother.

I'm fine with Jim Buss getting the axe, but the Buss family could learn something from Phil Anschutz. Put all of the business and BB operations into competent hands and stay out of it.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

And now Magic confirms that he wants to call the shots for the team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...angeles-lakers

#1 fan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

No amount of top draft picks are ever enough to turn things around with bad management. I was hoping a few years in the basement to re-stock the talent pool would work but I don't see any change in the near future unless the front office gets a complete overhaul. Amazing how quickly the model franchise in all of sports has turned into the Titanic.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Lakers beat the Bucks. They are 3-3 since Russell returned from injury.

Deng with zero points in 29 minutes. Mozgov did not play - coach's decision.

Zubac with 15 points. He may be better than Ingram.

This team drafts well. Historically, trades have been good, except for Nash of course. Although that only happened because Stern nixed the CP3 trade.

They haven't been able to sign high-end free agents in years and the new CBA makes it even harder now. The Deng and Mozgov contracts are really bad. The 4-year terms are brutal.

The Williams signing was excellent though. Ironically, the Young contract we all complained about is now below market, and he'll probably opt out. Had 26 points tonight.

Team still with the 3rd worst record, but I think they'll end up passing some teams and the chances of retaining the pick will be slim.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)

Rumor is that Lakers are actively shopping Lou Williams. Lou is instant offense and almost won the game last night with 29 points in 24 minutes. However, with the Lakers still a few years away from contending at the earliest and with Lou's poor defensive game, if they can get a 1st rounder for him, I think it's the right move. Might even be able to get a young player on top of a pick.