Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how is it working out with Kopi wearing the C?

Take a big quaff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    The LA Kings before Williams, Richards and Mitchell, and the LA Kings after Williams, Richards and Mitchell.
    Yeah. I remember oh so clearly when Smyth was on the Avs and he bent, then broke his stick, stabbing it into LaBarbera who had already covered a puck. The rest of the team stood around and did nothing to defend their goalie.

The team last night had that same worn down, apathetic look.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    646 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    I think this is the key, and has been since they won the Cup the 2nd time. Playing Sutter's system is hard both physically and mentally and it takes total buy-in from everyone to work. The Kings had that buy-in and don't anymore. At least not consistently.
    Is it less belief or less talent. I think it's clearly the latter, maybe a bit of the former. Gotta believe it's just a matter of time before it's clear to management that the players no longer can or will work within this system. The other challenge is that Sutter's system is being utilized with Ontario as well, right? If a change is made with Sutter, do they also change the system (not the coach) with the Riegn?

Team LGK
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1610 Post(s)

I think you have to separate the issues. This team has lost it's identity with the departure of some of those veterans with grit and winning pedigree. So, with respect to that, you can't replace that by switching the C. The second issue is that Dustin Brown was a quiet, lead by example captain. Once you stop leading by example, it's time to step down. The move to switch the C was a good one, but it's only going to go so far. Replace Setoguchi and Purcell on offense, and Guys like Greene/Scuderi/Gilbert on defense with quality players and this team would be at a different level. Not to mention our goalie issues right now. You can say what you want about Quick and where he ranks among the league's top goalies, but he's far better than Zatkoff or Budaj.

So i think the individual leadership at C isn't really and issue now with Kopitar at the helm. What is an issue is team wide drive and skill level. You can't plug in bottom tier players and journeymen and expect them to run at the same level as your conn smythe types. We have legit holes in our top 6 and top 4. We also have a distinct lack of identity. This team used to be tough to play against and rock solid on D. Where is that?

All Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingSteve View Post
    Is it less belief or less talent. I think it's clearly the latter, maybe a bit of the former. Gotta believe it's just a matter of time before it's clear to management that the players no longer can or will work within this system. The other challenge is that Sutter's system is being utilized with Ontario as well, right? If a change is made with Sutter, do they also change the system (not the coach) with the Riegn?
    Probably both belief and talent, but more belief. Sutter's system can work with less talent because it emphasizes hard work and team effort, not individual performance, but his motivational tactics have a shelf life. You can only push the same button so many times and it is even harder to make a group of guys who have won 2 Cups hungry to put in that sacrifice. That's not a knock on the players, it is just human nature.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gretzky99 View Post
    kopitar sucks .

ftfy.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4206 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewCastle View Post
    Yeah. I remember oh so clearly when Smyth was on the Avs and he bent, then broke his stick, stabbing it into LaBarbera who had already covered a puck. The rest of the team stood around and did nothing to defend their goalie.

The team last night had that same worn down, apathetic look.
    Same thing with the puck - everybody is waiting for somebody else to do something.

That speaks towards leadership. Somebody has to step up and lead, right now it's a game of hot potato. Hopefully that can be Anze, because based on the C and his ungodly contract, it should be Kopitar.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

I don't see any changes to this mess happening until attendance drops and this Organization starts losing money big time. Then ownership will start bitching and want something done. Hit em' where it hurts....in the ole bank account.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post

That speaks towards leadership. Somebody has to step up and lead, right now it's a game of hot potato. Hopefully that can be Anze, because based on the C and his ungodly contract, it should be Kopitar.
    So much this! That is what inspired my thread, it appears to be the same ol' Kopi out there on the ice. No we aren't in the locker room, no we aren't there at the off-ice workouts, etc. But, what we, or at least what myself and some friends have seen, or I should say haven't seen is a fire lit under his butt during this current pathetic no goals for three games losing streak. There has been no attempt by him to take over a game per say. Just look at Doughty when things aren't going good, you can see him start carrying the puck coast to coast and try to make things happen, he gets fired up!!! Again I'll reference Kopi getting plastered last night, no response from the team, and no response from him. Nearly every other captain in the league would have shown at least one ounce of FU after that hit. What kind of message is that sending the team? Hell Toews is small, but he doesn't take crap, he took matters into his own hands after James Kneel took a cheap shot at him behind the play.

Is it asking too much for the new captain to show some balls out there on the ice!!?!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    537 Post(s)

I don't know how it's working because I don't "C" any goals lately.

Reptilian Ambassador
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)

Kings could use some offense?

And doesn't Kopitar start off every season like this?