Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Credit Card Debt of Deceased Husband/Father in California?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2782 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Well, your initial argument is that he and his mother shouldn't be on the hook for it because of the actions of other companies. Knowing that you are well aware of the fact that the two situations are unrelated, it could be argued that you believe it's acceptable to allow the emotion of "us versus the evil companies", as opposed to the rule of law, to dictate what is and isn't right...notwithstanding the fact that bankruptcies are within the bounds of the rules. Now, in retrospect I'm sure the statement was tongue-in-cheek, and thus I'm equally certain you're really not devoid of character.

It appears that the real transgression was on the part of the deceased, as he encumbered his wife by running up debt without his wife knowing about it. If she is legally obligated and really can't pay it, she has bankruptcy as an option. It's a ****ty option, but bankruptcy should never be an easy decision.
    Its entirely possible that a debt was taken on honorably and an untimely demise would tender this statement worthy of a metal gauntlet to the face.

Most people would only suggest such possibilities when they knew the involved parties, and then only when they wanted to reveal their utter contempt of the deceased.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1255 Post(s)

Well, your initial argument is that he and his mother shouldn't be on the hook for it because of the actions of other companies. Knowing that you are well aware of the fact that the two situations are unrelated, it could be argued that you believe it's acceptable to allow the emotion of "us versus the evil companies", as opposed to the rule of law, to dictate what is and isn't right...notwithstanding the fact that bankruptcies are within the bounds of the rules. Now, in retrospect I'm sure the statement was tongue-in-cheek, and thus I'm equally certain you're really not devoid of character.

It appears that the real transgression was on the part of the deceased, as he encumbered his wife by running up debt without his wife knowing about it. If she is legally obligated and really can't pay it, she has bankruptcy as an option. It's a ****ty option, but bankruptcy should never be an easy decision.
    You have written twice of transgression: on my part, and the deceased.
    The only demonstrated impropriety is thine.
    Good day.

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

Forgive the unsympathetic overtone of this, but how about doing the honorable thing and paying it off? If daddy didn't have the $ to pay it off, then he screwed his heirs. Tell your friend to pay the debt rather than passing it on to all the consumers via increased interest rates.
    Seriously friend? $8,000 is a drop in an ocean of money passing through the modern financial system, and has little affect upon your or my interest rates. Wealthy corporations and some individuals have a much more profound affect through daily dealings than a widow's ability or inability to repay $8,000.

That says a lot about your character.
    And yours, kind sir, is duly noted as well.

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

To OP, the friend should be off the hook.

The wife and or estate will probably be liable. However, it is a matter of who and when and how and if any kind of payment will or should be made. The advice of a professional, perhaps an attorney or CPA or both should be considered. Self education can also be helpful in this matter as well since professional help in a "one time" matter is generally expensive and adds up fast.

Credit card companies also have been known to make "deals" for lesser amounts (ask), but be forewarned that the wife and or estate could receive a 1099 in the amount of any forgiven debt, thereby changing tax ramifications. As an example, $8,000 could be "cured" for an amount between $1,000 - $3,000 (guessing amount here) with a "taxable income" to wife or estate for the balance. The tax on the "income" is frequently cheaper than paying the entire amount outright.

I, of course, am not an attorney or CPA, and I haven't played one on TV either!