Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Nipple biter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

Bob's announcing style is so unique...when he used to announce some of the games on radio only, he really used a lot more words to transmit what was happening on the ice. Once he started doing simulcast (radio and TV) only, his style changed and he eased up a bit. Not taking anything at all away from him, just saying that announcing TV is easier than announcing radio only where the announcer has a lot more work to do to get as accurate an image of what's happening on the ice as possible.

Back in the mid 80s my girlfriend and I would drive in my mini truck up to the hills to listen to Bob's broadcast whenever the game wasn't televised. Yeah, there was sex too, but it was more about the broadcast.

Whatever happens, it's tough to imagine a Kings without Bob Miller. Thanks for the years.

Arf!
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1136 Post(s)

Props to Bob for his amazing career. The two Championships were perfect timing for his career. One of the best.

Expected to announce retirement.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/...228-story.html

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1281 Post(s)

Bummer for us fans.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)

Wow, in six months time, Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, and now Bob Miller (presumably) all have retired. The world of sports will never be the same. At least we aren't mourning their deaths.

All Star
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    845 Post(s)

Truly sad that Bob couldn't at least end the season but his health comes first.

All Star
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05/29/93 View Post
    Wow, in six months time, Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, and now Bob Miller (presumably) all have retired. The world of sports will never be the same. At least we aren't mourning their deaths.
    Still adjusting to the loss of of Chick from the Lakers too although it was a long time ago. The LA icons of sports play by play are not easily replaced

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5072 Post(s)

A couple of years ago when moving, my mom found an old Casio tape recorder that she got in the late 70's. She used to record my sister and I as kids running around the house. The tape in the recorder didn't last long when she hit play, but it was of my sister reciting something from kindergarten while my dad and I are in the background doing what always did in between periods during the games on channel 9. Playing hockey with wiffle ball bats, a wiffle ball, using his drafting table as the goal. I alternated between Dave Taylor and Mario Lessard, depending on whose turn it was to shoot. I was inevitably running around in my yellow and purple sweats, doing what so many of us of did - constantly shouting "he shoots, he scores, he shoots, he scores, he shoots, he scores".

The Kings have been a vital part of our lives for so long that we can't think of them without hearing that thought in our head's in Bob's voice.

No matter how hard life gets, no matter what got in the way, the Kings have always been there. Anger, frustration, conflict, always the Kings there to be that higher plane where it was always okay when the game was on. And always Bob - confident, assuring, pleasant and steadfast. The voice of the calm in our lives, no matter how poorly they may have played, it was always a hug from THE old friend.

My dad suffered a massive stroke during a routine back surgery three weeks ago. He is paralyzed on his left side, drifting in and out of cognitive awareness, in terrible pain. He has had a couple of hemorrhages in the last week, and is fighting for his life. Every conversation we have had in those three weeks, but never been able to finish, begins with how the Kings are doing. I broke the news to him tonight in one of those precious, few coherent moments, and he reflected for a second, then said "you don't know how lucky we were to have Bob Miller".

I do, Dad, I do. I can't help but think that while fans in other markets may love their teams, nobody has ever been so blessed to have a relationship with OUR team like WE have had. Announcers come and go, good ones, bad ones, in between. Bob made us all family.

I am not sad that he is stepping down, that time may have come a little while ago. I am so unbelievably happy that he got to see the Kings win the Cup, and another, getting to experience that feeling, not just of the shock of winning, but finally, after all of these years, the expectation of winning.

All things do move towards their end. Our time with Bob wasn't just entertainment, it was the steady, unwavering presence of support and comfort, but at a skill level the players themselves could only dream of achieving.

So long, Bob.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1581 Post(s)

How the **** am I supposed to make a joke at Mondo's expense after that?

Seriously, best to you and your Dad, Mondo.
    Color me jealous, my father and I never shared a shred of sports memories.

And I will not be watching Bob tomorrow. As far as I know, he's coming back any day along with Deader and Allison. End of story!

Cardiac hockey
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)

Default Bob Miller Status

Wow, nailed it Mondo. All my best to you and yours right now.

All Star
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1022 Post(s)

Now, with our beloved Bob retiring, maybe it's time to start a whole new direction with a new GM and Coach.