Thread: Will KINGS make the playoffs ?

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    370 Post(s)

Goaltending tandem of PB&J wins the cup.

I've got Myxomatosis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WstCoastFlyer View Post
    It's funny because so far this season I've read nothing but pessimism on here.
    I think most people's worst case scenario is to make the playoffs and get bounced quickly. Whether you're building or contending, you want both feet under you instead of having one on either side of a philosophical divide. It's debateable wether the Kings could re-tool over a couple years (even though the odds of success are slim), but it's pretty obviously this team has too many holes in the roster and bare of resources to fill them in the short term.

At this point, the reality is these players (some maybe more than others) play with A LOT of pride, and it's unreasonable to expect them to accept a late season fire sale to gain future assets, even if it's the more logical and measured response. You have to imagine DL and co have both eyes down the road at the next doughty contract, and the team will need to be competitive when they be begin to negotiate if they expect him to stick around.

Really difficult questions lie ahead...
    Last edited by BDTR; February 13th, 2017 at 11:16 PM.

Go Kings Go!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

I know this won't sit well with others when I say this but, if John Quick comes back before season ends and even though knowing it is J. Quick's team at the end of the day, but the way P. Budaj has been playing, he should continue to finish what he started. It would be just be good story to look back on knowing "A Goalie Who Was Destined AHL Bound, Until Called Up By Kings."

Personally, I think if the Kings are continuing doing good, just let J. Quick rest up for the rest of season. I know he wants to get back out there and battle it out. I would LOVE to see him play, too, because I LOVE watching him play, but to just make sure of things, let him sit out rest of season for the better of him.

I've said all season long that the Kings defense is gonna be too thin with just Doughty, Muzzin, and Martinez anchoring the back-end. That it will depend if McNabb progresses along with if Forbort/Gravel can keep up with the pace of the NHL and by handling their own business. But as of how the defense stands, NOW, it has been a real surprise knowing how Forbort & Gravel have came along that has really helped solidify the defensive end.

But then when looking who the Kings have up front. I was worried about Brown not producing, Kopitar going through the Captaincy that will probably hurt his numbers, Gaborik being inconstant and/or injured all the time, and the bottom six not producing much offense of just who would we get it from. So for the majority part I am still right. The team still has trouble scoring as usual.

I wasn't worried about the goalie situation all so much, other than J. Zatkoff of what will the Kings get out of him because I'm not the biggest fan of his to begin with, neither were the Penguins for reason being he only played 35 games or so in past 3 seasons with them. I got even a clearer picture of how Zatkoff is when I went to the Frozen Fury in Las Vegas where he looked horrible. But when J. Quick got injured is when I did get worried about the Kings goalie situation and their season. But out of the middle of NO WHERE, came PETER BUDAJ, who has been nothing but a real shining star between the pipes who has helped keep the Kings in the pack of things. Dean Lombardi odd to be counting his blessings because if it wasn't for P. Budaj, what would of Dean Lombardi done? He didn't have the salary cap room, unless to trade a player on Kings roster to get a goalie.

So to answer will the Kings make the playoffs? if the Kings can do something about their lack of offense (other than J. Carter scoring), along with their defense and goaltending remain solid---I say the Kings can make the playoffs, but will be a first round exit team, unfortunately.

Go Kings Go!!!

And I've been a fan of Kings since 93', so spare me if to try and flame me for any reason!

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

They're on pace for 90 points. That won't be good enough. Gotta pick up points more consistently.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

IMO the Kings will make the playoffs because the teams below them I don't think will be able to keep up the rest of the way. If they do, they will still end up falling short by 3-7pts. The problem is, with the Kings making the playoffs and a likely 1 and done again, DL will feel the team is fine with Sutter's system and the players and not much will change in the off season.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2872 Post(s)

The website that all the blogs and some of the reputable columnists use is here:

Los Angeles Kings Playoff Chances

Currently the odds are in the kings favor to make the playoffs.

I personally think they are going to make it, particularly with such a heavy home schedule to finish out the year. There are legitimate scenario's where they miss of course. The issue most people have is that with the margin so thin on how they play the game right now its hard to tell on the scoreboard when they are playing well vs when they are not. I don't have it handy but I would love to see their record in games where they score first this season. If it were possible their record when they don't give up a goal in the first would also be handy.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)

Does it really matter if the Kings make the playoffs? Do they have the right personnel to win one round or even one game?

They still have not replaced the heart and soul of the team. Williams, Stoll, Richards and Mitchell types of players are not on this team so to win one game it will be extremely difficult and to win a series that would be an epic feat.
    I would love for them to prove me wrong!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)

Remember when they made the playoffs last season? ummm....yea.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2872 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Remember when they made the playoffs last season? ummm....yea.
    I do in fact remember that, and if Quick hadn't decided to win each and every game by coming out so aggressively that he gave up goals on the first or second shot 3 times it probably would have been a long enough series for you to remember it as well.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I do in fact remember that, and if Quick hadn't decided to win each and every game by coming out so aggressively that he gave up goals on the first or second shot 3 times it probably would have been a long enough series for you to remember it as well.
    Quick was a mess, but that wasn't the entire picture of why they failed.
    Keep in mind they were out coached. We rarely saw Sutter's system in full effect for that series.