Thread: Post 2014-A Legacy of Bad Decisions

Take a big quaff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

What would have helped Dean and us, as fans, is if the league was in the 3-2-1 points model.* (3 points for regulation win and 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss)
    This team would be far back enough where hope would be even slimmer.** Maybe that would have signaled to him to finally sell. But Dean thinks, like this core, that they have some switch they can flip near the end of the season. Winning those Cups so close together conditioned some very bad habits in this organization, from the top on down.

* I really wish all games were worth the same amount of points. But the league won't switch to it as the playoff races are tighter without it.
    **In fact, the Kings and Winnipeg would be tied for the same amount of points in 9th place in the Western (5 regulation wins back from overtaking Edmonton in 8th)

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

I've never subscribed to the knock on Boudreau for playoff failings. IMO, Game 7 is on the players and their locker room leaders.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    693 Post(s)

If you fire Sutter....we never see CHRIS doing his thing!
    Kid is the highlight at Staples...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    got to give to get. That a sacrifice I am willing to make

Win it again..for Tanner!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie-Vachon View Post
    just sign him to a 10 year contract. he will be worth it for sure!

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)

The worst of it was retiring Blake's jersey... That #4 hanging there is a more than a curse than anything else...and it coincides to the crappy play the last two seasons (including this one)...

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1443 Post(s)

Keep on renewing your season seats = nothing will change.

So long as they keep getting "sell-outs" and the coin keeps coming in, there is no panic for ownership.

Go back and read what happened when Deano got the boot from San Jose, it was the season ticket holders call for change that put his head on the chopping block.

Why now? Why did the Sharks fire Dean Lombardi just days after the trading deadline, but only weeks before seasonís end?

There is no need to ask, really. Lombardi was given his unexpected pink slip because of a metaphoric blue line ó the one season-ticket holders are rapidly skating toward, as they decide whether to renew for 2003-04.

ĒWe felt very good about the timing of this decision,Ē said Greg Jamison, the teamís major domo, and that tells you everything you need to know.

Itís not merely that the Sharks have failed to sell out 10 of their past 19 home games. Over the past few weeks, as the team has skated in quicksand, Jamison has played host to focus-group breakfasts with the teamís regular customers. He must have spent the past few weeks being confronted with the same pointed statements the teamís loyal fans have thrown in my face:

ĒIím not buying tickets next year unless Lombardi is gone. How come everybody else with the Sharks gets fired or traded, but Lombardi sticks around?Ē

It was a legitimate question. Through good times and bad, Lombardi always caught more flak from fans than he ever did from the media ó I canít recall any columnist or talk-show host ever calling for his head ó and people wondered what made him so bulletproof.

I can only answer in my case. While I frequently criticized his decisions, I found it difficult to totally savage and dismantle Lombardi as an executive. I saw a man who worked long hours, agonized over every decision, and was the first one to flog himself after a mistake, usually harder than anyone else did. It was oddly endearing. His bosses must have felt the same way. Lombardi is the most tortured soul I have encountered in sports on a daily basis.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/purdy/2...-of-the-moves/

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    902 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Keep on renewing your season seats = nothing will change.
    Ok, I'll be doing my part for change next season.

Judging by my StubHub results today and browsing the ticket forum, many STH are losing 75% or more today.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    802 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gokor84 View Post
    I mean just look at the Wild. before BB took over they were a mess. now they play some good exciting hockey. I know his record in game seven's isn't pretty but any team he takes over they do well. Kings have some talented players and now adding in Kempe and Ladue makes it even better. If Kings can get a Bruce Boudrou type coach, they will thrive.
    This....I dont expect some coach to take them to the cup but we are certainly good enough to make the playoffs.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Sutter's 1990s system is still grinding away in the corners while the rest of the NHL has left the zone.
    The most excruciating example, dump and chase on a PP.

The NHL has become more athletic while the Kings have grown old, big, and slow. Perhaps the only NHL team that can regularly put 40 SOG with actual scoring opportunities that can be counted on a couple fingers. Must get younger and faster. Build a new core around the athletes, Amart, Pearson, Quick, Carter, Doughty, Lewis, along with the kids Kempe and Ladue. Sutter's dump/chase/crash offense is ineffective and boring, relatively easy to counter with today's mobile defenses. Adjust the system and/or Sutter.