Marc Crawford anyone?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

This team is definitely playing below their potential. They are playing to get Sutter and Lombardi fired.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Keep on renewing your season seats = nothing will change.

So long as they keep getting "sell-outs" and the coin keeps coming in, there is no panic for ownership.

Go back and read what happened when Deano got the boot from San Jose, it was the season ticket holders call for change that put his head on the chopping block.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/purdy/2...-of-the-moves/
    Mark Purdy's blog was never a good source, but even as he's throwing out a false theory he came up with about fan ennui driving the decision, you'll notice that the whole point is that it was a mistake to fire those 2.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewCastle View Post
    ... But Dean thinks, like this core, that they have some switch they can flip near the end of the season. Winning those Cups so close together conditioned some very bad habits in this organization, from the top on down.
    Yeah. The swagger that they worked so hard to develop went too far. They to some degree can still flip the switch, and they keep flipping it. Problem is they keep expecting the opposition to be psyched out and stay down and there's not a team in the league that does anymore. I looked at the clock tonight and said out loud, **** there's over a minute left, don't give it away. Because they just stop. It's what they've done all year. "Ok, sigh of relief, we're still great. Wait woops."

Original Bandwaggoner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

It's time for the coaching staff to move on. But I think DL stays and makes the changes. The team needs a new identity and I think it should come from the players, not the management. A rookie coach who is more analytics focused than systems focused and an advocate for the best players may be what guys like Kopitar and Doughty need at this point in their careers.

I'd like to see Dean get more aggressive with filling the roster with prospects and restockimg the pipeline for 1-2 seasons. With the parity in the league I think they could still be competitive while trying to offload vets and keep players that are talented.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    693 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ludwig View Post
    The worst of it was retiring Blake's jersey... That #4 hanging there is a more than a curse than anything else...and it coincides to the crappy play the last two seasons (including this one)...
    TAYLOR SWIFT banner...Lakers, Clippers, Kings...even the other events blow.

For King, Ace Whole
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

Personally, I don't like or agree with comments that say Sutter has "lost the room" or "the players are playing to get Sutter and Lombardi fired".

Where's the supposed character this team is supposed to have and the tattoos on their collective asses? Are they professional or are they children who are selfish and immature? Two plus seasons with the same problems stemming from lousy effort from those that are paid handsomely to put that effort forward.

Furthermore, I don't like rash decisions when it comes to two people who arguably have done more in 10 years than anyone even came close to doing for the previous 40 years, quite an accomplishment.

That being said, I agree that sometimes it isn't wise to rest on your laurels, and I understand the best of us can be overwhelmed by success and thoughts of our own infallibility.

The day you fire Sutter, and that day will come, or his contract will expire and he will choose cows over hockey, will be the day that you watch the best Kings coach ever walk down the hallway forever. Coaches are a special breed, and good ones don't grow on trees, and also usually don't last forever. Sutter has long proved he's above the standard expiration date stamped on even some of the brightest and best coaches that the NHL has seen the last ten years.

Still, as they say, you can't fire the team, and sometimes, firing the coach is the perceived answer to a teams problems. But no matter what happens with Sutter's employment, he has been dealt a bad set of cards by the General Manager.

Big money paid to presumably a cast of players that should by all analysis (and salary) be far superior to what we have witnessed this year. Starting with Kopitar, and going down the list with Brown and Gaborik, three top paid players not performing up to expectations. Even a lesser paid Toffoli has half the goals of last year.

Add to that the number one goaltender getting injured for the first 3/4 of the season, figuring a way to succeed with three rookies on defense in Forbert, LaDue, and Gravel. Then McNabb stalling and Muzzin partially regressing and it gets really interesting, right?

But wait, that's not all; the rest of the cast can't even remotely be expected to carry the team in the interim as the "stars" flounder around. Andreoff, Dowd, Clifford, Nolan, King, and Lewis aren't any more than a solid supporting cast at best. Kempe is a breath of fresh air, but not yet a difference maker and Iginla is a rotted life preserver that can barely save himself.

What is a coach to do under these circumstances? He has to play the players he is given by management, and presumably play the ones that make the most, most of the time!

So, fire the coach, his system sucks and is outdated, blah, blah, blah. BS. If you think our team is slow and old, and the prospect of changing the personnel is problematic due to silly contracts handed out like candy, what difference is the coach going to make? Are you sure that a different coach will get different results from Kopitar? Gaborik? Brown?

If you said fire the GM, I might be more inclined to agree, but to hurry and rid the team of Sutter only serves to empower these lazy asses pulling down big bucks to simply either cruise along, or just not have the juice that they once did. How can you blame the coach?

I've been to a handful of games this season and last season, and if anything, I have seen a fairly good effort from the secondary players mentioned above. I've watched rookies and other youngsters make what would be considered their fair share of errors, but a lack of effort hasn't been their issue.

Most glaring, however, has been that lack of effort on the part of the "top players". Frequently, I have seen no real distinction between them and supposed lesser players. Sure, Carter and Pearson have looked good and been good, but two out of six isn't the right recipe for success.

With the tricky expansion draft coming up, and the unlikelihood of being able to move some bad contracts anytime soon, I am inclined to let Lombardi stew in his own gravy for another season and see what he can pull out of his once pristine, yet now crumpled hat to turn some things around.

Furthermore, I am old school and believe that Sutter is getting nearly the most out of what he has been given, and it is unlikely a replacement would be able to change anything for the better while there is no prospect for a change to the roster.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    802 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAK1ngs View Post
    This team is definitely playing below their potential. They are playing to get Sutter and Lombardi fired.
    they tuned out Sutter a while ago....everyone could see it-well everyone but Kings mgmt that is.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    551 Post(s)

Team check out from the system years ago, who would want to endlessly grind the corners with no likelihood of getting a quality scoring opportunity. I think there is some talent of this team if they were aloud to check out of the defense first mentality that Sutter has pounded into them. look at the players that came on to the team with offensive numbers only to see them drop over time as the defense first push started to cause player to overthink every play. TT, Pearson, Dowd all looked like quality offensive players until the system pulled the plug on their natural abilities. Sutter needs to go first and a new direction set before the new talent is giving up on.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1443 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Mark Purdy's blog was never a good source, but even as he's throwing out a false theory he came up with about fan ennui driving the decision, you'll notice that the whole point is that it was a mistake to fire those 2.
    No. The point was that the fans outcry got them fired. That is the truth.
    Your are mixing in the retrospective.
    If the fans revolt the team changes things.
    In pro sports follow the money.