waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    761 Post(s)

Default Post 2014-A Legacy of Bad Decisions

From DL to DS....lots of room for blame. Sutter should have been fired after last years playoffs quite frankly. If not last year-certainly at some point this season. Does it not bother anyone just a bit the same issues we talked about in game 10 are still issues now and we are playing the same system with the same results? It was clear that Sutter had lost his touch and the players had tuned him out. Other teams made coaching moves with success....the St Louis Blues for starters. I really blame DL for not pulling the trigger while the season was still salvagable. He was content to wave the white flag on the season out of loyalty to Sutter. He was willing to gamble with Iginla and Bishop-but not with the one position where it actually mattered.

Taking a look at some of my previous posts....

From Nov 27th-

Thoughts about last nights game....

Gaborik with Nolan? Really? Putting our most injury prone player out with Nolan, whose inability to play a traditional fourth line role resulted in Nick Shore getting his ass kicked against the Ducks just doesn't seem at all like a good, rational idea.

On that same note....the LA Kings 3 most expendable players.

1. Nolan
    2. Purcell
    3. Shore

As someone mentioned in another thread about the Hawks good young players, I really think its time Michael Mersch get the call up to the big club. Bottom six could be better and he could get a little time on 2nd PP unit. He's got NHL skills and size, skating is a question mark but the league is filled with many players of that ilk and worth the gamble IMO.

The more I watch Forbort, the more I think he is a better NHL dman than McNabb. Not knocking McNabb, but Forbort has poise and looks to always be positionally sound and counted on to make the right play. Mcnabb, while being more physical, also plays a bit more riskier type game and with that I think Forbort has been solid for sure. Given the choice of the two I think Forbort is going to a better dman across the board.

Speaking of Dmen....Gilbert sucks. Between him, Greene, and the late season re-acquisition of Scuderi; DL really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I guess we will be that much better when McNabb comes back....or at least until the expansion draft.

Not sure why Sutter went away from the Dowd, Brown, Seto line. Have to be impressed with the play of Dowd, which really makes Shore semi-expendable, just not Nolan/Purcell expendable.

From January 23rd-

Average Shooting% this season for all NHL players 9.07%. The number of LA Kings players over that average? Just 3 in Carter, Pearson & Mcnabb. Carter is 23rd in the league with 17.1% and Pearson is 71st with 14.3%. After that and w/McNabbs limited playing time....there are no other Kings players shooting above 8.6%. Think about that for a moment-every single player on the Kings roster not named Carter, Pearson and Mcnabb are shooting significantly less than the entire league average.Stole this from twitter, but Patrick Marleau scored as many goals in the first period of last nights Sharks game as Kopi has all season long. Been one of those years.

From February 19-

Not afraid to say it...

If Kings cant win tonight Sutter should be fired. Not that I think hes a bad coach, not that I dont respect what he has done, Not that I have anything else remotely bad to say about him...but he has lost the team and they are routinely losing games they should win, routinely losing games they had a chance at winning. Not saying a coaching change will win us the Cup...but with Quick coming back you need a different voice and a different perspective to try and spark something while there is still some time left. Not even sure who is out there, but given we are 2/3rds through the season and are talking about the same issues we did at the start of the season leaves me to wonder how we can realistically expect different results in the final 1/3 of the season.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    774 Post(s)

Other teams which benefited from a mid-season coaching change are the Islanders and Bruins. Montreal has done pretty well too but Ottawa is still catching up.

The good news is there should be no more hope for a quick fix and hopefully the rose colored glasses finally come off. Honest assessments and honest changes need to be made. DS is one hell of a coach but changes have to be made. The offensive woes are horrible and, IMO, it isn't like they are completely unfixable. I've never seen a 2017 team with disdain for driving to the slot like the Kings. I haven't watched as much other team hockey this season due to work but the Kings seem unique in their zeal to take a multitude of extremely low percentage shots, like unscreened point shots and unscreened blasts from the half-wall, that any NHL goalie should stop.

As I said last night, the Kings are on pace for 86 points. That is never going to make the playoffs. Don't get delusional and think that the problem is CGY winning 10 straight and now St Louis winning 5 in a row. Those teams are just helping the West revert to the mean where 90+ points are required to make the playoffs. In the East, the Kings would be in 11th with their current record.

Anyhow, back to your point, yes I think hopefully Dean stops trying to piddle around with minor changes and takes a tough look at addressing the organizational problems.

On another topic, what do you do with Toffoli? He has been underwhelming this season and could become the next bad long-term contract. I love his skill and how he's stayed in LA for multiple summers to improve his game. But the production has not been there this year. And at some point the Kings need to start grading on results rather than effort and hope.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    761 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post

On another topic, what do you do with Toffoli? He has been underwhelming this season and could become the next bad long-term contract. I love his skill and how he's stayed in LA for multiple summers to improve his game. But the production has not been there this year. And at some point the Kings need to start grading on results rather than effort and hope.
    Totally agreed...Pearson has shown a lot more than Toffoli this season. Said at the trade deadline Kings should be sellers and have a blowout on all their forwards.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

It's very hard for me to just say go trade Carter. Trade Pearson, trade Toffoli if they want more than $5 per....

...Before seeing what a coaching change and system tweak would do first.

Problem is, we have kinda run out of time here to see what that ^ could've done.

Another thing, this could be an insane summer with this expansion draft and all of the fallout from it. How truly comfortable are we with handing the keys over to someone else making the decisions at this time? I'm not sure

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2464 Post(s)

Firing Sutter wouldn't have done squat. Well, maybe it helps them get into the playoffs. But they don't have the players to make a lot of noise there. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****. So ultimately, that's not the decision that mattered. The bad decisions involved handing out huge, multi-year contracts to players, culminating with Kopitar last summer. That legacy will prevent the Kings from being contenders for years. Sad!

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Random thoughts:
    No question Dean's made a bunch of mistakes. I cringe every time I see Kyle Connor highlights, thinking how obvious and avoidable that deal for Lucic was, and what we could have drafted in that spot or with the picks obtained with Jones and Miller. And, yet when I marvel at the scouting and development side he's developed when compared with so many other organizations.

It's been obvious for a while that this team wasn't going to win a Cup this year. I just have to think the allure of that playoff money makes it difficult for Dean to tank. Somebody's got to pay Mike Richards! I guess in his defense its not clear that teams were willing to pay a premium at the deadline this year as they have in years past.

Would love to see us bring up and play some kids and maybe switch up some roles in the games we have left. Id like to see them try Shore on the wing a little bit. Offensively he is so deferential at center but he has good hands, and can make a move or two. I suspect we might get a little offense out of him that way.

I remember seeing Dean at the meet the GM event last and thinking that Dean regretted making the offer to Daryl after he dragged it out.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1139 Post(s)

Sutter should have NEVER been offered 2 more years. That was a disastrous decision.
    The fact that Sutter and Deano had to talk it over before the commitment was quite telling.

Sutter's system is not something that a team or players can run on and on and on.
    It's a system that will wear a team down over time. It's great when it works, but it does not last forever.

Sutter lost the room 2 seasons ago.
    With the exit of many role players, and leaders, the problem of losing the room only compounded.

There is great talent on this roster, but that talent will continue to either erode, or never reach its potential in this system.

Say what you will for Deano's horrible contracts, and cap hell, but Sutter is the giant fly in the ointment.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3373 Post(s)

Sutter's 1990s system is still grinding away in the corners while the rest of the NHL has left the zone.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

I've given DL pretty much every benefit of the doubt to date, but it's to the point here, with them likely missing the playoffs again, that he's going to have to demonstrate that he can make the moves necessary to right the ship, or he's gonna have to go. As of right now, i'll be withholding judgement on things until i see what transpires before next season starts. That's pretty much the make or break point for me. Come the start of next season, im going to want to see a clear direction with steps taken to make it happen. None of this one foot in approach.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

I mean just look at the Wild. before BB took over they were a mess. now they play some good exciting hockey. I know his record in game seven's isn't pretty but any team he takes over they do well. Kings have some talented players and now adding in Kempe and Ladue makes it even better. If Kings can get a Bruce Boudrou type coach, they will thrive.