Thread: Time to trade Doughty

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1613 Post(s)

If you're going to trade Doughty because you don't feel we'll be competitive again, you might as well deal Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, Clifford, and Nolan too. I mean, why do a half assed job when you're going to go full rebuild anyway?

I also liken this idea to the Wings dealing Lidstrom after the 2000-01 season, or the Penguins dealing Crosby after the 2014-15 season.

We suck, I'm not going to deny that, but there is a way out of the darkness without completely dismantling this team. It could involve a GM change, because the ****pot we're in now hangs all on Lombardi and his design of "Keeping the band together" instead of incorporating some new blood here and there and letting people walk. It may also involve a coaching change, although Sutter's just playing the hand he's been dealt by Lombardi and from what I've seen in LaDue and Kempe in their short time with us, Sutter hasn't been afraid to play the kids.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Bring on Vancouver!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1198 Post(s)

So dramatic.

If Kopitar was having even a mediocre season (say 18 goals?) the Kings would be comfortably in a playoff spot.

The team has one of the best defenses in the NHL. A solid core. Expansion draft protection issues handcuffed the team's flexibility this season.

Once the expansion draft is out of the way, the Kings can make a few tweaks... trade a D-man for a forward. Buyout Gaborik. Etc.

This team is more than capable of still competing for the Cup with a few minor tweaks. The days of them being a favorite are over... but there are still plenty of playoff berths and deep runs in this team's near future. Blowing it all to hell wouldn't be wise.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2969 Post(s)

Recent marquee players have shown up in 1 for 1 deals. Not certain the last fire sale star...Kovalchuk?

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1613 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    I really do wonder what we could fetch for him though. He's certainly going to want money in the Kopitar level after all.
    Coming from you, this idea doesn't shock me.

Oh look,

at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Bring on Vancouver!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1198 Post(s)

I really do wonder what we could fetch for him though. He's certainly going to want money in the Kopitar level after all.
    The difference being, he's actually worth it.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2626 Post(s)

He's certainly going to want money in the Kopitar level after all.
    I think that if he becomes a UFA in a couple of years, someone will offer him enough to make him the highest-paid player in the NHL. The cap should be up at least a bit by then and he would be the best UFA available in many years.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    679 Post(s)

Quick is great...keep him
    Muzzin is still horrid...

Kopi is trade bait...

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3082 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Coming from you, this idea doesn't shock me.

Oh look,

Huuuur derp.

Just wondering out loud JayBird. But it almost seems like you feel the need to insult my intelligence. But I'm not going to go there.
    Last edited by TooCool; March 14th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    The party's over. There is no magic bullet for fixing this mess. Just getting a new GM and a new coach without addressing the fundamental problems with the team would be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They will only be able to do so much with this personnel. It's not the system. They don't have the horses to play any other. The system they are playing now is the only hope of winning for a team that doesn't have speed. If they tried to change the system to a more offensive one, they're would get blown out most nights. They don't have near enough players who can run and gun to win against the good teams. The big difference from the Cup years is not that anyone "solved" their system. It was never a big mystery. Everyone knew exactly what the Kings were going to do. That's what makes really good teams really good. You know exactly what they're going to do and you have no way of stopping it. No Richards, no Mitchell, no Scuderi, no younger, still-effective Brown, Greene, Gaborik. That's the difference between those teams and this one.

They need to trade Doughty this summer. Doughty is all-world, but he will no longer be in his prime when this team is ready to compete for the Cup again. That's if he sticks around when he becomes a UFA - which seems unlikely, given where the team is going to be when he is ready to hit the market in a couple of years. Why does he re-sign here if he has no chance at another Cup? He is one of the most competitive guys on the team. I don't see him being satisfied finishing out his career just playing for the money with no chance of winning. You can't take a chance on him just walking, that would be a disaster.

Doughty is still in his prime and will bring a huge return. Trade him along with Carter, Quick and Kopitar (yes, I realize he has a NMC - but he's almost certainly going to waive if he is asked and realizes the team will suck). Maybe trade Toffoli.

You get enough in return for these guys, you can try to package prospects/picks with Brown and Gaborik and still have some picks/prospects remaining. The team is going nowhere with those boat anchor contracts, and there is no way to get rid of them otherwise. If you keep Brown/Gaborik/Kopitar/Quick, there is no light at the end of the tunnel for 8-10 years. If you get rid of them, maybe you shorten that time period by 2-3 years. Yes, the team is going to suck. But it will pick high and will have a chance to get cheap talent with those high picks. Otherwise, it's the black hole for a few years first, and only then the full-on suck. Might as well skip the black hole and get straight to taking your medicine.

Not that I think any of this is going to happen. I think this will play out in the worst way possible because they will still try to play for the few home playoff games which bring in the dollars. In which case, if things go well, we may see a Cup competitive team around the 2027-2028 season.
    I was feeling kind of down after last night's game, but then I read this. Thanks for the good laugh - I needed that.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1613 Post(s)

Huuuur derp.

Just wondering out loud JayBird. But it almost seems like you feel the need to insult my intelligence. But I'm not going to go there.
    Not questioning your intelligence, but rather your short attention span.

---gescom