Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post
    So dramatic.

If Kopitar was having even a mediocre season (say 18 goals?) the Kings would be comfortably in a playoff spot.

The team has one of the best defenses in the NHL. A solid core. Expansion draft protection issues handcuffed the team's flexibility this season.

Once the expansion draft is out of the way, the Kings can make a few tweaks... trade a D-man for a forward. Buyout Gaborik. Etc.

This team is more than capable of still competing for the Cup with a few minor tweaks. The days of them being a favorite are over... but there are still plenty of playoff berths and deep runs in this team's near future. Blowing it all to hell wouldn't be wise.
    "So dramatic." - So true.

"If Kopitar was having even a mediocre season (say 18 goals?) the Kings would be comfortably in a playoff spot." - So true.

Besides the typical "tweaks" any team is always looking for, there are 3 main problems holding the Kings back from being a bubble team, to a playoff team.
    - Kopitar having his worst season in the NHL (9g, 31a, 40p, -9)
    - Gaborik's production/contract (9g, 9a, 18p, -4)
    - Brown's production/contract (11g, 18a, 29p, -6)

You have to think this is the bottom of the barrel for Kopi, I don't see it getting any worse moving forward.
    Even with Gaborik's and Brown's contract, if just one of them produced like they "should" or both of them produced just a little bit more, we probably aren't having this conversation (but we are).
    Between these 3 players, it is the perfect storm of badness all in one season.
    We should also expect between the expansion draft and the option of a buyout, Gaborik and Brown will likely not be on the roster next season.
    Anyone wanting a full blown rebuild or anything overly drastic with a team that is basically terrible offensively and still somehow only 5 points out of a playoff spot, needs to take a step back and a deep breath. Kopitar will be back, and at least Iginla, Gaborik, and Brown will likely be gone. Just with that right there, the roster is going to look pretty different next season.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1573 Post(s)

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wives. They trading everybody up in here...

You guys are losing your minds.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4095 Post(s)

This is a poor team, fellas. The immediate future is looking even worse.

Every team that misses the playoffs is just one or two "if's" from making it. But missing two out of three years, with a squash in-between, isn't indicative of a team who is s still capable.

You are being overly optimistic. Lombardi hasn't made a net positive decision in almost three years. The run is over, it's dead and done. But the crippling contracts remain, and remain, and remain.

Doughty is the best player in the history of the franchise. His level of play here exceeded even what Gretzky and Dionne brought. But it may be a very difficult job convincing him to stay here with this mess. If he indicates even hesitation at re-signing, you must deal him. You can't afford to wait until mid year when interested parties may have limited manuverability.

They made a massive mistake in keeping Kopitar. The only thing worse would be to lose Doughty and to do so for less than full value.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2626 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    If you're going to trade Doughty because you don't feel we'll be competitive again, you might as well deal Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, Clifford, and Nolan too. I mean, why do a half assed job when you're going to go full rebuild anyway?
    None of those guys are on terrible contracts and you need someone to show the kids the ropes. Trading away Lewis, Nolan and Clifford is really not going to do much for you.

I also liken this idea to the Wings dealing Lidstrom after the 2000-01 season, or the Penguins dealing Crosby after the 2014-15 season.
    Seriously. Really. Come on.

2000-2001 Detroit: Made the playoffs for the 11th consecutive time, only losing in the first round once during the prior 10 consecutive playoff appearances. Lost in the first round in six games to the Kings in a huge upset. Finished second in the NHL in the regular season. Finished either first or second in their division in the regular season every single year during those eleven years, except for the 90-91 season, when they finished third. No Brown, Gaborik and Kopitar contracts.

2014-2015 Penguins: Pittsburgh made the playoffs for the ninth consecutive time that season and lost in the first round (in 7 games). Finished fourth in their division, the only one of those nine consecutive playoff years in which they did not finish either first or second in the division in the regular season. Crosby had just signed a new long-term contract and was in no danger of walking as a UFA. No Brown, Gaborik and Kopitar contracts.

2016-2017 Kings: about to miss the playoffs for two out of three years, sandwiched around a first-round exit with one win.

One of these things is not like the others.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3082 Post(s)

Not questioning your intelligence, but rather your short attention span.
    Wondering out loud what Doughty could realistically fetch us = short attention span? I guess no one has an attention span then.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1573 Post(s)

You guys are depressing the **** out of me...

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1613 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    They made a massive mistake in keeping Kopitar. The only thing worse would be to lose Doughty and to do so for less than full value.
    If he'll resign next summer, then he's a King for life, and everyone will start bitching about his new contract being worthless when he's 35.

If he wants to test the UFA waters and won't sign an extension before the start of the season, then you deal him to the highest bidder.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Vive La France
    Images
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)

I have a great proposal for Dea

Doughty, Brown, 3rd to NYI
    For
    Ho Sang, Hamonic, 1st + 2nd

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1613 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    None of those guys are on terrible contracts and you need someone to show the kids the ropes. Trading away Lewis, Nolan and Clifford is really not going to do much for you.

Seriously. Really. Come on.

2000-2001 Detroit: Made the playoffs for the 11th consecutive time, only losing in the first round once during the prior 10 consecutive playoff appearances. Lost in the first round in six games to the Kings in a huge upset. Finished second in the NHL in the regular season. Finished either first or second in their division in the regular season every single year during those eleven years, except for the 90-91 season, when they finished third. No Brown, Gaborik and Kopitar contracts.

2014-2015 Penguins: Pittsburgh made the playoffs for the ninth consecutive time that season and lost in the first round (in 7 games). Finished fourth in their division, the only one of those nine consecutive playoff years in which they did not finish either first or second in the division in the regular season. Crosby had just signed a new long-term contract and was in no danger of walking as a UFA. No Brown, Gaborik and Kopitar contracts.

2016-2017 Kings: about to miss the playoffs for two out of three years, sandwiched around a first-round exit with one win.

One of these things is not like the others.
    They're more alike than you would care to admit. The point is, there's no point in going into a panic and trading the best defenseman in the league until he demands it or because he won't agree to an extension in a reasonable amount of time.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom