Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2526 Post(s)

Default Time to trade Doughty

The party's over. There is no magic bullet for fixing this mess. Just getting a new GM and a new coach without addressing the fundamental problems with the team would be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They will only be able to do so much with this personnel. It's not the system. They don't have the horses to play any other. The system they are playing now is the only hope of winning for a team that doesn't have speed. If they tried to change the system to a more offensive one, they're would get blown out most nights. They don't have near enough players who can run and gun to win against the good teams. The big difference from the Cup years is not that anyone "solved" their system. It was never a big mystery. Everyone knew exactly what the Kings were going to do. That's what makes really good teams really good. You know exactly what they're going to do and you have no way of stopping it. No Richards, no Mitchell, no Scuderi, no younger, still-effective Brown, Greene, Gaborik. That's the difference between those teams and this one.

They need to trade Doughty this summer. Doughty is all-world, but he will no longer be in his prime when this team is ready to compete for the Cup again. That's if he sticks around when he becomes a UFA - which seems unlikely, given where the team is going to be when he is ready to hit the market in a couple of years. Why does he re-sign here if he has no chance at another Cup? He is one of the most competitive guys on the team. I don't see him being satisfied finishing out his career just playing for the money with no chance of winning. You can't take a chance on him just walking, that would be a disaster.

Doughty is still in his prime and will bring a huge return. Trade him along with Carter, Quick and Kopitar (yes, I realize he has a NMC - but he's almost certainly going to waive if he is asked and realizes the team will suck). Maybe trade Toffoli.

You get enough in return for these guys, you can try to package prospects/picks with Brown and Gaborik and still have some picks/prospects remaining. The team is going nowhere with those boat anchor contracts, and there is no way to get rid of them otherwise. If you keep Brown/Gaborik/Kopitar/Quick, there is no light at the end of the tunnel for 8-10 years. If you get rid of them, maybe you shorten that time period by 2-3 years. Yes, the team is going to suck. But it will pick high and will have a chance to get cheap talent with those high picks. Otherwise, it's the black hole for a few years first, and only then the full-on suck. Might as well skip the black hole and get straight to taking your medicine.

Not that I think any of this is going to happen. I think this will play out in the worst way possible because they will still try to play for the few home playoff games which bring in the dollars. In which case, if things go well, we may see a Cup competitive team around the 2027-2028 season.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)

So if you do trade all or most of those players, do you stick with Lombardi and Sutter? Or jettison them as well? Just curious.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)

The home playoff games part is all the money men care about.

That just sounds weird.

Just as trading all of your top guys sounds weird.

Until you really think about it.
    Last edited by eddieshack23; March 14th, 2017 at 10:10 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I think we should move to Kansas City.

Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

Doughty for Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamkos!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1222 Post(s)

LOL Fire Sale thread arrives.

Trade em all but keep the system and GM?!?!?

Now there's a new one. Double down on crazy is usually not the answer.

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Can we speculate wishful thinking. Doughboy and carter for matthews and nylander

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)

No to trading Doughty.

Successful teams' best players play like their best players. For whatever reason, Kopitar, Toffoli and Muzzin have had very poor years. We can't afford that with dead weight contracts to Gaborik and Brown eating up cap space.

A coaching change should be tried before a fire sale. Not even convinced it's the coaching, but you make a change there before blowing the whole thing up.

The one good thing about this year is we've injected a lot of youth into the club via the rookies, who are all showing promise.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3025 Post(s)

I really do wonder what we could fetch for him though. He's certainly going to want money in the Kopitar level after all.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2526 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    So if you do trade all or most of those players, do you stick with Lombardi and Sutter? Or jettison them as well? Just curious.
    I would get rid of Lombardi and let whoever comes in make the decision. I assume he would want to hire his own coaching team.