O Captain, My Captain!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)

Default Levity

How about, we don't fire the GM and coach. How about we don't invoke the nuclear option and summarily dismiss the core of players that actually won us 2 cups. How about we make some little adjustments to the system for personnel changes.

The only part of this season that has been entertaining to me was that it forced Lombardi and Sutter to play the prospects. Many of them have graduated to trust level. I think one season of off season moves could still potentially re-animate this team.

There isn't a Doughty in many drafts.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

But what happens if the teams sucks balls next 2 seasons and he declines signing here?

WereApe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)

If? When.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    But what happens if the teams sucks balls next 2 seasons and he declines signing here?
    Then you trade him and collect assets before he departs. This is no different than any other player.

The question is do the kings want to pay him 10-12 million a season for 8 years, because he will be asking to be the highest paid defensemen. He will also be 30 years old. Remember he started playing as a pro at 18. A lot of miles will be on those tires with all the minutes he plays.

Hyperbolic V.I.P.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stadlere View Post
    Then you trade him and collect assets before he departs. This is no different than any other player.

The question is do the kings want to pay him 10-12 million a season for 8 years, because he will be asking to be the highest paid defensemen. He will also be 30 years old. Remember he started playing as a pro at 18. A lot of miles will be on those tires with all the minutes he plays.
    Hard to trade a player that's a UFA at the end of the season. The only current GM willing to take on those types of situations is DL. lol

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    How about, we don't fire the GM and coach. How about we don't invoke the nuclear option and summarily dismiss the core of players that actually won us 2 cups. How about we make some little adjustments to the system for personnel changes.
    This is likely going to be AEG's directive. For all the angst, propositions, lamenting, recriminating and kvetching that we engage in, AEG directs the GM's broad approach which will likely be along the lines of "if it aint broke (read:still selling tickets) why fix it". From their perspective, it ain't broke but what do they think of the near future? All the options we clamor for cost them money (harder to sell tix during a rebuild) with the exception of changing the GM. The only uncertainty I have in my mind as to their direction is whether they intend to extend him as his contract expires at the end of the current season. His extension or lack thereof will tell us whether AEG is even willing to rebuild or significantly retool and they are the only ones who control whether and to what extent that happens.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1570 Post(s)

lot of what if's going on here...

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post

The only part of this season that has been entertaining to me was that it forced Lombardi and Sutter to play the prospects. Many of them have graduated to trust level. I think one season of off season moves could still potentially re-animate this team.

There isn't a Doughty in many drafts.
    Sutter's gotta go if Dean wants to re-animate this team. Coaching does matter, and coaches do have a shelf life. When they reach that point where your best guys aren't performing you can assume it's a coincidence or you can look at who's leading them. It's past time tbh.

And if Dean isn't willing to do that then he probably needs to go too.

All Star
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)

I was just wondering what the thread title had to do with the content of the thread?