Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Corsi Isn't Everything: Why the Kings Are Struggling to Make the Playoffs"

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)

Default "Corsi Isn't Everything: Why the Kings Are Struggling to Make the Playoffs"

devenir gris
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1560 Post(s)

Default "Corsi Isn't Everything: Why the Kings Are Struggling to Make the Playoffs"

well now that it's in the hockey news...

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3983 Post(s)

Hockey isn't a numbers sport. There is no correlation between success and advanced analytics. It's such a young discipline that happened to coincide with the Kings style of victory that folks put too much faith in the numbers as gospel.

The Kings play low event, control hockey. Of course that is going to result in numbers that bear that out. They happened to win two Cups due to being incredibly deep, with a roster full of known killers. Once the killers moved on, the success left while the style remained. The players that won those Cups have never really received the credit they deserved, and too many of the accolades (or blame depending on the viewpoint) went to the numbers.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1222 Post(s)

Hockey News gave the Kings a 38% chance to make the playoffs.
    That is quite a generous "stat".

In other news, the rest of the world is waking up to the reality that has been discussed for going on three seasons.

I've got Myxomatosis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Thanks for the post AngelEyes. I have to admit though, after I saw the photo of the author I became very skeptical of the content, and stopped reading after the line that said "everyone thought they would be contenders". Despite a few left field story lines, this is EXACTLY the kind of team those who follow the Kings closely expected to be watching; a playoff bubble team with some great pieces, but no cohesion and no killer instinct.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1306 Post(s)

For the record, Dom is for real.
    He also publicly puts his money where his mouth is as a successful bettor.

I take the article as a warning that a drastic overhaul isn't necessary (For example, don't trade DD). The bones of winning are present, and marginal improvements can return the team to Cup contender.
    In that vein, I'm encouraged by the progress of the young D, Dowd, and Kempe.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

And yet another writer/commentator/prognosticator alludes to the Kings as a team built for the playoffs that no one wants to face if they got there. I wonder if the Sharks would have an issue facing them again. With one playoff win in what will likely be 3 seasons, doesn't the record speak for itself?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2923 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    For the record, Dom is for real.
    He also publicly puts his money where his mouth is as a successful bettor.

I take the article as a warning that a drastic overhaul isn't necessary (For example, don't trade DD). The bones of winning are present, and marginal improvements can return the team to Cup contender.
    In that vein, I'm encouraged by the progress of the young D, Dowd, and Kempe.
    I wouldnt call them marginal improvements. I would say that though the flexibility to follow a path to ultimate success is narrow, it exists.

I would bet my last dollar that in Deans mind his priorities are:

Maintain a culture of the core developing as players and leaders
    Promote from within to the organizational culture to relieve salary pressures
    Reward loyalty with available roster moves to make runs

While there is a distinct possibility the emperor has no clothes there is no doubt that if hes aware of that fact he's going to double down on nudism becoming all the rage.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I just heard a stat that the Penguins are 35-3 in games where they were outcorsi-ed.
    Take your corsi and shove it.
    It makes for some fun reading and heated discussions but I am not sold on it.....not even close.
    The game is played on the ice with real men and real emotions. Corsi doesn't know **** about the heart and desire that is inside a man.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2923 Post(s)

The biggest complaint i have about sutter hockey is that emotion is outside the system. The even keel mantra is good for a gambler at the table, but eliminates peak performance for certain atheletes.