3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Default Stories While Representing the Kings

So WstCoastFlyer's amusing tale posted in another thread about getting dissed in the coffee shop while representing in Kings gear made me think: This illustrious group of Kings Fans must have some great tales to tell about something that happened to them because they represented the Kings. Did you get a perk at a business because the employee was also a fan? Free stuff? Get punked? I'm obviously very bored at work and we need something to talk about while we wait for playoffs or more substantial Kings news.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2923 Post(s)

Wearing my Kings hat in the water in Hawaii playing with my then toddlers. Canadian chap was near me in 2011 and he was rather proud his Canucks had just made it to the final. Asked me how long I'd been a fan and I told him I got on the bus in the gretzky years and forgot to fall off. He chuckled good naturedly and mentioned how it's been some rough times, I said yeah there were a couple decades that weren't too bright but things were looking up. He proceeded to bask in the glory of his Canucks....Wonder how that worked out for him.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)

Once during the Gretzky years my wife and I were traveling with a LA Kings Booster Club on a trip where we hit New Jersey, Hartford and MSG. Yes it is was an 0-3 trip but the best part of the trip was a week in NYC and the game against the Rags at MSG. If you have never seen a game there I would recommend it to anyone. Intimate and huge at the same time. Not a bad seat in the house unless you are in a luxury suite, which are located at the roof of the building (where all suites should be IMHO). We are sitting in the last row of a same section with a group of about 8 of us Kings fans. Kings hold a 2-1 lead late in the third and pull the usual mid-90's Kings fold job and end up losing 3-2. Right after the third goal there is a group of 8 female Ranger fans in the row directly in front of us. They are whooping it up and having a great time and ragging on Gretz and the Kings. Finally one of the females whispers (loudly enough for all us Kings fans to hear) "the folks behind us came all the way from LA for this game." The most loud Bronx accented lady then yells,

"AAAWWW SUCKAS!!!!!!!!! CAME ALL THIS WAY FOR NUTHING!!!"

There was a brief silence as we all couldn't really believe she said it. And then we all started laughing as did the group of Rags fans. Still one of the funniest moments I have ever had at a hockey game. My wife and I talk about it to this day.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Only thing I've gotten since 2012 is respect. Even when they don't make the playoffs, or when another fan is giving me a ration, you can see the respect behind the hate or BS.

Now prior to 2012, yeah. This is why I have such respect for Dean and what he did. Nothing lasts forever though right.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Once during the Gretzky years my wife and I were traveling with a LA Kings Booster Club on a trip where we hit New Jersey, Hartford and MSG. Yes it is was an 0-3 trip but the best part of the trip was a week in NYC and the game against the Rags at MSG. If you have never seen a game there I would recommend it to anyone. Intimate and huge at the same time. Not a bad seat in the house unless you are in a luxury suite, which are located at the roof of the building (where all suites should be IMHO). We are sitting in the last row of a same section with a group of about 8 of us Kings fans. Kings hold a 2-1 lead late in the third and pull the usual mid-90's Kings fold job and end up losing 3-2. Right after the third goal there is a group of 8 female Ranger fans in the row directly in front of us. They are whooping it up and having a great time and ragging on Gretz and the Kings. Finally one of the females whispers (loudly enough for all us Kings fans to hear) "the folks behind us came all the way from LA for this game." The most loud Bronx accented lady then yells,

"AAAWWW SUCKAS!!!!!!!!! CAME ALL THIS WAY FOR NUTHING!!!"

There was a brief silence as we all couldn't really believe she said it. And then we all started laughing as did the group of Rags fans. Still one of the funniest moments I have ever had at a hockey game. My wife and I talk about it to this day.
    Roenick: Did the same trip this year isles and rangers. Effing suuuuucked. Man did our boys not show up, duh. Sat next to a guy who looked like Drop Dead Fred at the Barclay center. Positive I made an ass of myself and "fred" took the brunt of it.

Starting Keeper
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I went to game one of the Ducks Flames series sporting my Quick jersey. While waiting in line in the bathroom, guy behind me starts telling me how Quick is his favorite player, and he loves watching him play, etc, etc. Guy is wearing full Ducks garb. Then later in line to get a beer guy wearing one of the free shirts they gave away said, I was going to wear my Kings stuff, but my wife told me we were with the in laws so you're going to have to blend in. I got some ribbing about golfing or whatnot, but really got a lot of respect from the Duck fans I sat around. I did have a drunk girl scream at me on the way to my car telling me look at this effing guy, we won it first, all as her boyfriend was telling her to shut up.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fivehole32 View Post
    I did have a drunk girl scream at me on the way to my car telling me look at this effing guy, we won it first, all as her boyfriend was telling her to shut up.
    She sounds like a keeper lol.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    693 Post(s)

So, I go to Disneyland tonight. Heart of Orange County. BUT, I decided to wear my Kings jacket.

There I am, walking down Main Street, Kings logo right there on my chest, on my way to meet a friend who wants to see the parade. All of a sudden, there she is!

We got sandwiches for dinner. Saw the parade. We had a nice time.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Good stories so far, folks, thanks for sharing. My turn isn't much, though, but here it is:
    So a few years ago I lived in Rancho Cucamonga and was at a park with my young kids. Nobody else was there at the park except this father and his kids so naturally, as the kids started running and playing together, the two dads started a conversation. I was interested in his dog, he had some kind of poodle mix and my son had just been diagnosed with dog allergies so I asked him about hypo-allergenic dogs and he was happy to talk about it. Well, that's when we both noticed I had my Kings hat and he was wearing a Kings polo shirt. We started talking about the Kings and then he told me who he was - Karl Taylor, the (then) coach and GM of the ECHL Ontario Reign. Really cool guy, gave some insights into the business, but all I remember is talking about dogs, lol.
    So not exactly a brush with greatness- I'm amazed living in SoCal my whole life how few celebrity sightings I've actually had but that's my story.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)

There was this one girl who wanted to be intimate and role play. I told her I'll be the Kings and she'll be the Rangers. She was done in 5.

REPRESENT!