\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    I guess we will see in the next 18 months or so. A NMC is great and all, but when your GM approaches you and says he wants to ship your ass out for lack of production (or something more pc and mild) I'm guessing you might think about waiving that perk.
    Also, I see more perceived value up and down the Blackhawks roster as opposed to the Kings.
    Time will tell.
    For both teams, for sure. I don't argue that DL handed out some contracts that he really shouldn't have, but I just see the virtual lack of NMCs as at least a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Sure, it would probably be a real pain in the ass to move the likes of Gaborik, but if a deal can be done, there's no NMC obstacle there. Hossa could be easier to move, but not if he won't waive. A GM can threaten to move him for lack of production, but that NMC gives the player the final say, and IMO, the upper hand.

Like I said, I wish DL would have done things differently. But he at least didn't hand out NMCs like candy. The next couple seasons will tell...and should be interesting. For both teams.
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

Bring on Vancouver!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1192 Post(s)

The point of this thread wasn't really to point out that the Blackhawks are broken beyond repair. They aren't. I don't believe that the Kings are, either.

The point was to show how much of a difference perception makes. Plenty of you are happy to jump to a bunch of conclusions to defend the Hawks, while on the other hand jumping to a bunch of conclusions in the other direction to put the Kings down.

It's annoying. The reality is, variance/luck plays a huge role in sports, especially in a statistically tiny period of time like 3-5 seasons. My argument is simply that you can't have it both ways. If a couple of bad seasons in a row = KINGS ARE DONE FOREVER, then apply that rule to everyone. It makes no sense to nitpick positive aspects of the Hawks (and others) while ignoring positive aspects of the Kings. Be consistent.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1953 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post
    The point of this thread wasn't really to point out that the Blackhawks are broken beyond repair. They aren't. I don't believe that the Kings are, either.

The point was to show how much of a difference perception makes. Plenty of you are happy to jump to a bunch of conclusions to defend the Hawks, while on the other hand jumping to a bunch of conclusions in the other direction to put the Kings down.

It's annoying. The reality is, variance/luck plays a huge role in sports, especially in a statistically tiny period of time like 3-5 seasons. My argument is simply that you can't have it both ways. If a couple of bad seasons in a row = KINGS ARE DONE FOREVER, then apply that rule to everyone. It makes no sense to nitpick positive aspects of the Hawks (and others) while ignoring positive aspects of the Kings. Be consistent.
    One team easily made the playoffs and one team didn't sniff the playoffs. The Hawks were swept by a good hungry physical team. The Kings didn't have a shot to be swept. The Hawks have made some bad player decisions just the like the Kings, however at least one team gives themselves a chance each year to compete for the Stanley Cup.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    822 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    I was pretty thrilled when Panarin scored that late game goal against us, in a game that was meaningless for both teams, Bob Miller final home game aside. That point cost the Blackhawks an extra 2 mill(roughly) in cap space next year, right?

Edit: For the capologists out there,can anyone clarify how this will affect Chicago's cap next year? Do the performance bonuses apply directly to their cap total, which would equate to Panarin being a 6mill + 2.5mill cap hit?
    those bonus payments can be delayed through the next season through the effect of the daily average calculation. So if they are under and can afford it, it happens retroactively. If not it gets applied through the next season.
    They only had like 10k remaining for 16-17 so it all rolls into next season. The Hawks have 3.5 million in bonus overages to absorb next year. That's a lot of dead space for a disappointing finish to the season. Bowman is going to be busy trying to squeeze that in along with the raise to Panarin. Boo hoo.

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    472 Post(s)

They couldn't stand the heat and fired the Kitchen...

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1556 Post(s)

The Kings are definitely in a worse off position than the Hawks. While I think the Kings management made a kneejerk decision in firing Lombardi and Sutter, my belief is that they wanted to get rid of Sutter, and Lombardi said no way, so they were both shown the door. I don't love the coaching change, but i'm ok with it. Having had time to consider everything, it looks like a move that makes the most sense. Chicago on the other hand is not stuck trying to figure out how to score goals. They are strong defensively, and also capable of getting the goals they need in close games. And while they have a lot of money tied up in a few contracts, nobody is looking at those contracts (yet) as a massive anchor on the team's success.

No doubt that Kopitar's contract will be a burden towards the end of it's term, just like Toews and Kane. I'm not really worried about either of Kopitar's or Tew's down season this year. Both are almost certain to bounce back. The issue though is Brown and Gaborik, who i suspect will see similar point totals next season. So while it might hurt to consider the future of Toews and Kane's contracts, you can at least justify them right now. You can't do that with Brown or Gaborik. And it doesn't really matter who does and doesn't have NMC because you can't ****ing give Brown or Gaborik away. They are, for all intents and purposes, just as untradeable.