Thread: All Things: LA Galaxy, LAFC and MLS

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    799 Post(s)

I couldn't really tell live if Lampson had any chance to stop any of the Vancouver goals, but after seeing the highlights, yeah, he probably should have stopped at least one of those, if not two. On the good side, his distribution was excellent.

I don't mind going for all the points at the end, even though it ended up costing the Galaxy. Except for the result, it was a pretty fun and exciting match.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    I couldn't really tell live if Lampson had any chance to stop any of the Vancouver goals, but after seeing the highlights, yeah, he probably should have stopped at least one of those, if not two. On the good side, his distribution was excellent.

I don't mind going for all the points at the end, even though it ended up costing the Galaxy. Except for the result, it was a pretty fun and exciting match.
    Excellent point! Bingham usually is crap regarding distribution. Lampson had some very well placed balls.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)

facepalm

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

So yea, that happened.

Why does GBS think it's a good idea to tinker with the roster when home field for the playoffs is at stake?!?!?
    Why put Dan on the bench and put in Gonzalez?!?!?!? Gonzalez is trash. Pretty much the only acquisition DTK made that has turned out poorly.

Gotta say, for somebody who was pursuing the golden boot, Ibra sure left a lot of EASY goals on the table. When I say EASY, I mean EASY.

I have to say that I am nervous about GBS tactics or lack-thereof for the match against Minnesota on the road.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Why can't GBS (and especially Dom...because he saw it and fixed it last year) see that there are really only two options for the back four:

Romney - Polenta - Steres - Araujo (Rolf)

or

Polenta - Romney - Steres - Araujo (Rolf)

Any other mix is horrific.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    799 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Tell me if I'm wrong.

Why can't GBS (and especially Dom...because he saw it and fixed it last year) see that there are really only two options for the back four:

Romney - Polenta - Steres - Araujo (Rolf)

or

Polenta - Romney - Steres - Araujo (Rolf)

Any other mix is horrific.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

It's food for thought, for sure. I think it' a matter of how they fit with GBS expectations. Here's how I see it:

Much of this boils down to Skjelvik. When he was first brought in, Galaxy had Cole on the left and had need for a CB. At that point, some of Skjelvik's defensive problems were explained by him being played out of position. When the club let Cole walk (which I think was a mistake, but I'm a big Cole and Chelsea fan, so anyway...), the upside was that now the big investment, Skjelvik could play at his more natural position at full back or wing. Once there, Skjelvik proved to be a great asset going forward but still a liability defending. Depending on the personnel and/or tactics, this is not necessarily the worst situation, but in the case of GBS and the Galaxy, I think it's creates a problem. I think the best Galaxy backline that incorporates Skjelvik is:

Skjelvik - Gonzalez - Steres - Feltcsher

I think you must partner Skjelvik with Gonzalez, because Polenta will go forward more than Gonzalez, and if you leave Skjelvik to defend any counters on the left, he's going to get burned.

However, I don't think this necessarily works great, because I think GBS likes to activate the CBs to be pretty aggressive in roaming forward. Polenta does it with great aplomb. Steres doesn't do so frequently, but for sure he seems way more willing to go forward than he had before. Gonzalez seemed happy, too, to be given the green light to attack, but when he very first joined the club, he was much more frequently a responsible defender, sweeping up attempted counterattacks. The thing, though, is that without cheating back, Gonzalez also can get burned.

So, yeah, all things considered, I think that

Romney - Polenta - Steres - Feltscher/Araujo

has proven to be the best option for the Galaxy right now under GBS. I think Romney works much better at FB than CB.

Did the Galaxy use 3-man back line when Lleget was healthy? It was surely before Pavón arrived. I would be so curious to see how that could function now.

Before I forget, assuming that Coie would still be keen to play if Galaxy had retained him, how does this look:

Cole - Polenta - Steres - Feltscher/Araujo

In any case, I really hope we do some damage in the playoffs. Galaxy are playing some sexy football at the end of the season, despite the results. They just need to bury a couple more of their chances, and I think they will be okay.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

^^ Agreed, the G's are in transition from former players, players to be gone soon, and new acquisitions....all this tied into GBS new system.

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

My source says the Romain played 90 min in a closed door scrimmage yesterday with Xolos.

Looked pretty solid, shaking off the rust.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)

welp here we go sunday

All Star
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2182 Post(s)

Win it on the road!!!

JDS, Pavon, Ibra, F. Alvarez, Antuna.....I hope they turn themselves up to "11" for this match. They really have not choice.

MUST play with a lead.

I feel MU will sit back for the first half. If the G's don't capitalize, they will have a tough match.

You know you have the sinking feeling MU will get a couple of counter-attack goals on the Galaxy defense.

Assuming the G's win, I say it will be 3-2.