2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

Default Most Frequently Called Penalties

I was having a discussion/debate with someone and found that it would be helpful to have some statistics about which penalties are called most frequently. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that cross-checking, hooking, interference, and tripping are probably at the top of the list, followed by boarding, charging, high sticking, elbowing, and roughing.

I tried googling but didn't come up with anything. Anyone know a reliable source.

Also, while PIM is obviously a readily available statistic, does anyone know of a source that tracks numbers of penalties and/or PIM incurred for fouls committed against a particular player (e.g., in 2016-17 Kings opponents incurred X penalty minutes on account of people slashing, tripping, hooking, interfering with, etc. Anze Kopitar)?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3059 Post(s)

I dont know of a public site that has it listed that way but the information should be scourable from the official game reports

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

I'm not sure this would be even close to relevant, i.e. depending on who is the referee. IMHO, it sure seems that no matter what the "real" infraction was, some ref's call, hooking, slashing, tripping etc like it's their favorite call. Watching so many games when an infraction occurs, and I think to myself that's a hook and the next thing I see is an interference called and so on.
    I'm thinking more D men will be called for slashing and wingers for interference

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

At Staples Center, two minutes for Leaning is most common infraction against fans in the 300's.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2018 Post(s)

My wife calls quite a few, off sides on me.

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

Probably 1,2,3 in this order 1) Tripping, 2) Slashing, and 3) Cross Checking.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I dont know of a public site that has it listed that way but the information should be scourable from the official game reports
    My thinking as well. With all of the statistical analysis done these days, I have a hard time believing someone hasn't culled the data, but maybe you're right that it's just not public.

Quote Originally Posted by jccawdrey View Post
    I'm not sure this would be even close to relevant, i.e. depending on who is the referee. IMHO, it sure seems that no matter what the "real" infraction was, some ref's call, hooking, slashing, tripping etc like it's their favorite call.
    A different issue that what I'm talking about, but if NHL teams aren't analyzing each referee's tendencies, then they're dropping the ball (or...the puck, I guess).

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pg1067 View Post
    A different issue that what I'm talking about but if NHL teams aren't analyzing each referee's tendencies
    How so? If a ref calls a hook on what should have been an interference infraction then the data is skewed. I'm not sure why a team would monitor each ref's "tendencies" when the NHL ref's bosses are supposed to be doing this. The way I understand it, they look at each game and "rate" the refs. That's how then end up with the refs and linesmen for the finals

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jccawdrey View Post
    How so? If a ref calls a hook on what should have been an interference infraction then the data is skewed. I'm not sure why a team would monitor each ref's "tendencies" when the NHL ref's bosses are supposed to be doing this. The way I understand it, they look at each game and "rate" the refs. That's how then end up with the refs and linesmen for the finals
    I don't know what sort of info is collected by the league and the extent to which that info is disseminated to each team. That said, what I'm talking about in terms of "tendencies" is this. Let's say that the median number of penalties called in each game is X, that the standard deviation is Y, and that the range is X - 1.5Y to X + 1.5Y. If my game is being refereed by the guy who calls an average of X + 1.5Y penalties or the guy who calls an average of X - 1.5Y penalties, I sure as heck want to know that. A similar analysis could be done for any given type of penalty or category of penalties. For example, maybe Referee A is on the high side for interference, hooking, and holding penalties, but tends to look the other way on roughing, boarding, and charging penalties, then that should influence how your team plays in that game.

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

So I'm getting that you want a "Moneyball" guy on your staff to track Ref's performance over each year. The tendencies would change if they are on the right coast as opposed to the left coast, away from home, how many days on the road, etc.
    You could get this guy to do all this, then Cliffy gets pissed on his 1st shift and the fight is on. In order to hope for some semblance of order for the rest of the game, the Ref's are calling everything.
    Too many variables for me, but that's my opinion