Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: McDavid might ask for $14M a season

  1. #11
    All Star
    salami's Avatar
    Karma: 1106072
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishMonger View Post
    If only other captains, perhaps one in the South Bay, would have been wise enough to consider NOT strangling his team with his contract.


    Nope, can't do it. Can't let you get away with it. That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've read yet on the subject...and that says a lot. Brown hate has clearly impeded not only your logic, but your memory as well.

    Here are some facts.

    1) Brown was underpaid (considerably) for 6 YEARS because he DID take a hometown discount in 2009 when he signed a deal with a $3.175 million cap hit (5.6% of the team cap) Note: this was after 33 and 24 goal first and second seasons in the league.
    2) Only AFTER leading the team to TWO Stanley Cups did he accept the offer (without an agent's representation, mind you) that was put in front of him
    3) Brown's contract, with a $5.875 million cap hit, is hardly "strangling" when the salary cap is $69 million, as it was when Brown signed (that's 8.5% of the team cap, when the limit is 20%, per the CBA), let alone when the cap is $73 million as it is now.
    4) Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million, signed when the cap was $64.3 million (13.2% of the cap, when he could have asked for $12.8 million)


    I'm by no means a Brownophile, and Brown is obviously no Crosby, but I have reached my limit with the idiocy around here surrounding his play and contract. For years all the pundits talked about how Dustin Brown was the best value in the league with a $3.175 cap hit. Don't blame the player for accepting the offer he had been due for years.

    If you're going to blame anybody, blame Dean Lombardi for having character and integrity, and ponying up when he had the opportunity.

  2. #12
    1st Scoring Line
    Troyvsc's Avatar
    Karma: 1063000
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,019
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Nope, can't do it. Can't let you get away with it. That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've read yet on the subject...and that says a lot. Brown hate has clearly impeded not only your logic, but your memory as well.

    Here are some facts.

    1) Brown was underpaid (considerably) for 6 YEARS because he DID take a hometown discount in 2009 when he signed a deal with a $3.175 million cap hit (5.6% of the team cap) Note: this was after 33 and 24 goal first and second seasons in the league.
    2) Only AFTER leading the team to TWO Stanley Cups did he accept the offer (without an agent's representation, mind you) that was put in front of him
    3) Brown's contract, with a $5.875 million cap hit, is hardly "strangling" when the salary cap is $69 million, as it was when Brown signed (that's 8.5% of the team cap, when the limit is 20%, per the CBA), let alone when the cap is $73 million as it is now.
    4) Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million, signed when the cap was $64.3 million (13.2% of the cap, when he could have asked for $12.8 million)


    I'm by no means a Brownophile, and Brown is obviously no Crosby, but I have reached my limit with the idiocy around here surrounding his play and contract. For years all the pundits talked about how Dustin Brown was the best value in the league with a $3.175 cap hit. Don't blame the player for accepting the offer he had been due for years.

    If you're going to blame anybody, blame Dean Lombardi for having character and integrity, and ponying up when he had the opportunity.
    I would think he was talking about the player making 10 mil for the next 8 years.

    I don't think to many people begrudge Brown for taking his deal. It was bad deal by DL but I don't recall anyone saying Brown was greedy when it was signed. Just that he would never live up to it and would hurt the team down the line. Unfortunately down the line happened way to quick.

    Now Kopitar's contract will help prevent the Kings from competing for years along with Browns and Gabbis.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    All Star
    salami's Avatar
    Karma: 1106072
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)

    Default

    God ****ing damn it! Maybe I'm too sensitive. Erasies! (and apologies)

    Yep, I'm a dick, so I'll leave it up for all to see.




    Last edited by salami; June 23rd, 2017 at 12:50 PM.

  4. #14
    All Star
    salami's Avatar
    Karma: 1106072
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    I would think he was talking about the player making 10 mil for the next 8 years.

    I don't think to many people begrudge Brown for taking his deal. It was bad deal by DL but I don't recall anyone saying Brown was greedy when it was signed. Just that he would never live up to it and would hurt the team down the line. Unfortunately down the line happened way to quick.

    Now Kopitar's contract will help prevent the Kings from competing for years along with Browns and Gabbis.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, back on topic for me I guess.

    Kopi's contract in this environment, is exactly what he deserved. Yeah, he had a **** year, but the whole team did (except for Budaj). There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't take Kopitar with that contract. Keep in mind he's only one season removed from winning the Selke and Bing.

  5. #15
    1st Scoring Line
    Troyvsc's Avatar
    Karma: 1063000
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,019
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    So, back on topic for me I guess.

    Kopi's contract in this environment, is exactly what he deserved. Yeah, he had a **** year, but the whole team did (except for Budaj). There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't take Kopitar with that contract. Keep in mind he's only one season removed from winning the Selke and Bing.
    Yeah but 8 years? 10 mil wrapped up in physical center above 35 is going to really suck. Not to mention Drew has his contract coming up, can't imagine what he is going to ask for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Bring on Vancouver!
    USCKingsFan31's Avatar
    Karma: 8742960
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,292
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1198 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    God ****ing damn it! Maybe I'm too sensitive. Erasies!

    (and apologies)
    The Brown situation is 110% a Lombardi screw-up.

    "Brown haters" (myself included!) are completely within their rights to be upset that a power forward that was already very clearly on the decline got signed to one of the worst deals in modern history. And the fact that that deal continues to haunt the team (and will do so for years to come) is extremely frustrating.

    But I don't really think anyone blames Brown. He gave a hometown discount on the previous contract. He captained the team to two Cups. As you say, he accepted the offer he was given, no agents driving up the price or holdouts or drama. Throughout his decline, he's seemingly put in hard work, been a gym rat. His game is gone and he's grossly overpaid, but the effort is still there. He developed into a great captain from a community outreach perspective, was great to the fans, has been nothing but professional.

    I appreciate your sensitivity, but don't mistake the hate on Brown the grossly overpaid third liner for hate on Brown the man. Don't think there's much (or hopefully any) of that in these parts.

  7. #17
    I revoke Man Cards
    FishMonger's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,314
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1102 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Nope, can't do it. Can't let you get away with it. That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've read yet on the subject...and that says a lot. Brown hate has clearly impeded not only your logic, but your memory as well.

    Here are some facts.

    1) Brown was underpaid (considerably) for 6 YEARS because he DID take a hometown discount in 2009 when he signed a deal with a $3.175 million cap hit (5.6% of the team cap) Note: this was after 33 and 24 goal first and second seasons in the league.
    2) Only AFTER leading the team to TWO Stanley Cups did he accept the offer (without an agent's representation, mind you) that was put in front of him
    3) Brown's contract, with a $5.875 million cap hit, is hardly "strangling" when the salary cap is $69 million, as it was when Brown signed (that's 8.5% of the team cap, when the limit is 20%, per the CBA), let alone when the cap is $73 million as it is now.
    4) Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million, signed when the cap was $64.3 million (13.2% of the cap, when he could have asked for $12.8 million)


    I'm by no means a Brownophile, and Brown is obviously no Crosby, but I have reached my limit with the idiocy around here surrounding his play and contract. For years all the pundits talked about how Dustin Brown was the best value in the league with a $3.175 cap hit. Don't blame the player for accepting the offer he had been due for years.

    If you're going to blame anybody, blame Dean Lombardi for having character and integrity, and ponying up when he had the opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    God ****ing damn it! Maybe I'm too sensitive. Erasies! (and apologies)

    Yep, I'm a dick, so I'll leave it up for all to see.




    Well, shoot. If you're going to be all responsible and accountable for what you say, how am I going to respond with an overreaction that only ups the absurdity?

    I guess I'll have to got back to work now.

    Jerk.

  8. #18
    1st Scoring Line
    05/29/93's Avatar
    Karma: 1427000
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Nope, can't do it. Can't let you get away with it. That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've read yet on the subject...and that says a lot. Brown hate has clearly impeded not only your logic, but your memory as well.

    Here are some facts.

    1) Brown was underpaid (considerably) for 6 YEARS because he DID take a hometown discount in 2009 when he signed a deal with a $3.175 million cap hit (5.6% of the team cap) Note: this was after 33 and 24 goal first and second seasons in the league.
    2) Only AFTER leading the team to TWO Stanley Cups did he accept the offer (without an agent's representation, mind you) that was put in front of him
    3) Brown's contract, with a $5.875 million cap hit, is hardly "strangling" when the salary cap is $69 million, as it was when Brown signed (that's 8.5% of the team cap, when the limit is 20%, per the CBA), let alone when the cap is $73 million as it is now.
    4) Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million, signed when the cap was $64.3 million (13.2% of the cap, when he could have asked for $12.8 million)


    I'm by no means a Brownophile, and Brown is obviously no Crosby, but I have reached my limit with the idiocy around here surrounding his play and contract. For years all the pundits talked about how Dustin Brown was the best value in the league with a $3.175 cap hit. Don't blame the player for accepting the offer he had been due for years.

    If you're going to blame anybody, blame Dean Lombardi for having character and integrity, and ponying up when he had the opportunity.
    Rack him!! The huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge call of the day.

  9. #19
    Nyssa's Minion
    jammer06's Avatar
    Karma: 2037683647
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,727
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2984 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post
    The Brown situation is 110% a Lombardi screw-up.

    "Brown haters" (myself included!) are completely within their rights to be upset that a power forward that was already very clearly on the decline got signed to one of the worst deals in modern history. And the fact that that deal continues to haunt the team (and will do so for years to come) is extremely frustrating.

    But I don't really think anyone blames Brown. He gave a hometown discount on the previous contract. He captained the team to two Cups. As you say, he accepted the offer he was given, no agents driving up the price or holdouts or drama. Throughout his decline, he's seemingly put in hard work, been a gym rat. His game is gone and he's grossly overpaid, but the effort is still there. He developed into a great captain from a community outreach perspective, was great to the fans, has been nothing but professional.

    I appreciate your sensitivity, but don't mistake the hate on Brown the grossly overpaid third liner for hate on Brown the man. Don't think there's much (or hopefully any) of that in these parts.
    Didn't Lombardi specifically say he could have signed Brown for less?

  10. #20
    All Star
    Ice24's Avatar
    Karma: 44247143
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1987 Post(s)

    Default

    Brown deserves every penny he gets. This contract was signed years ago. Stop living in the past and move forward. The only good thing about this contract is that we get to see #23 until 2022 in a Kings uniform!

    Yes I said it, now hug a cop!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •