1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Default Temecula Wineries?

Gonna check out some of the wineries. Any recommendations?

I heard Doffo was pretty good.

Team Melf.
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    594 Post(s)

I have gone to two weddings at Ponte. Actually, my family go there regularly. I'm assuming it's good.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    I have gone to two weddings at Ponte. Actually, my family go there regularly. I'm assuming it's good.
    Thanks for the response? What does the fam like? Chardonays, pinots?

Driver, Assload Wagon
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingnut View Post
    Gonna check out some of the wineries. Any recommendations?

I heard Doffo was pretty good.
    I thought they were OK. They did have a rather pricey port which was excellent (we did end up buying a bottle).

My wife and I used to go every year for a weekend, sometimes with friends. She is currently on migraine medication, with which alcohol is contraindicated, so we haven't been down there in a while. She would focus on the dessert wines and rosÚs and, since I like pretty much everything, I'd sample anything they'd put in front of me.

It's fun to taste the wares at just about all the wineries in the valley; most of them have at least a couple of worthy offerings in their tasting menu.

NOT A FAN

The Two that I never go to any more are Wiens and Foot Path (aka Hooterville); Undistinguished and, in some cases, just plain bad wine. Starting to also feel this way about Bel Vino (formerly Cilurzo Cellars in the good ol' days). They were serving reds that tasted like raisins the last time we were there (works with dessert wines, but UGH in red table wines).

FAN

Monte de Oro - One of the few places where I've like literally everything on the menu, every time I've gone, anywhere. Excellent reds, whites and dessert wines. Personal Fav

Cougar - Interesting selection of Mediterranean (mostly Italian) varietals which aren't commonly available. We used to belong to their wine club.

Chapin - Nice reds and whites. Rather pricey when we were there last, but well-made wines.

Hart - One of the old time wineries in the valley. Our personal favorite is their Aleatico, a port-style dessert wine. Very rich and smooth.

Mount Palomar - Solid offerings in both white and red, but our favorite was the Cream Sherry (raisin-y and rich - where raisin is proper!)

Palumbo - I Remember this place for its reds; couldn't leave w/o grabbin' a few for myself (particularly their Syrah which was fabulous).

Renzoni - Lots of good ones (Italian varietals, plus Tempranillo, Zin, Viognier and some other common ones). Two that are worth noting are their terrific Moscato (really fragrant Orange nose) and their La Rosa (a Rose of Sangiovese), but sample everything they pour - they know what they are doing here.

Have Fun. A votre SantÚ!

devenir gris
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

i liked Mount Palomar, Palumbo and Briar Rose. i thought Callaway was meh.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

+1 for Mount Palomar. the winemaker is Jamie Rutherford, he's a good guy and knows a ton about the industry. His family was one of the original families to start making/growing wines in Napa in the 1800s

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Thx everynody for the input. We went to Doffo anf spent a long time there. Palumbo was reccomended and will trtand get there next. Currently at ponte.

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

I don't know if Wilson Creek winery is still doing tours, but their Almond Champagne was outstanding. Callaway was blah. Don't waste your time

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChilledAgua View Post
    I thought they were OK. They did have a rather pricey port which was excellent (we did end up buying a bottle).

My wife and I used to go every year for a weekend, sometimes with friends. She is currently on migraine medication, with which alcohol is contraindicated, so we haven't been down there in a while. She would focus on the dessert wines and rosÚs and, since I like pretty much everything, I'd sample anything they'd put in front of me.

It's fun to taste the wares at just about all the wineries in the valley; most of them have at least a couple of worthy offerings in their tasting menu.

Have Fun. A votre SantÚ!
    Hope your wife gets better.

Yeah, we bought a bottle of the pricey port also. Loved that the owner is a motorcycle aficionado.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jccawdrey View Post
    I don't know if Wilson Creek winery is still doing tours, but their Almond Champagne was outstanding. Callaway was blah. Don't waste your time
    Wifey loves almonds, will have to check that out next time. We joined the Doffo club so we will def be back in a few months