Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Default MLB: The Official 2017 and now 2018 Angels Thread

Yes, I forgot to make the thread this spring haha, but does it really matter anyways? The Angels still suck in 2017 :(

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3478 Post(s)

We were using the 2016 thread =P

Honestly I expected the suckage since there was no improvements made to the team. But at the same time, very surprised that we're like 1 game under .500 considering Trout has been out for 6 weeks now. They're not very good but they're fighting.

We're only 2.5 games out of the Wild Card spot That's a win in my book. lol
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Oh I should had checked the old thread then! You make good points my friend, but the Angels farm system is pretty weak right now :(

I don't see them improving anytime soon, and those bad contracts sure don't help the cause either haha

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)

When the Angels are playing, I have a hard time figuring out what team the announcers are talking about. I don't know many players on the Angels roster anymore.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Melfice View Post
    Oh I should had checked the old thread then! You make good points my friend, but the Angels farm system is pretty weak right now :(

I don't see them improving anytime soon, and those bad contracts sure don't help the cause either haha
    We now have seen Eppler conduct two potentially excellent drafts with a proper approach that discards Dipoto's horrible high floor, low ceiling (safe) approach. I'm especially excited about 2017 2nd rounder Griffin Canning (UCLA) who would have been a mid 1st rounder had concerns about the manner in which UCLA used him not caused him to drop into the 2nd rd. My guess is that we'll see Canning in an Angels Uniform faster than anyone from the 16 or 17 drafts. Everything I've seen from Eppler makes sense in the light of building a consistent contender while not exceeding financial constraints (luxury tax, draft, int'l). It's just that it takes a lot of time to build from ground zero with bad contract baggage.

Some more silver lining: something like 68m is coming off the payroll at the end of this season including Hamilton's contract. Now among that 68m are guys that they will want to re-sign, like Maybin and possibly Escobar (unless they are going to go all in with Cowart). The bullpen will need a minimum of 5m of that money. Obviously, starting pitching is still a huge concern because so many guys are a question mark in terms of health (Richards, Skaggs, Heany, Tropeano) and development (Meyer, Middleton, Bridwell).

Things I'd like to see:
    -I'd like for them to sign Maybin and buy out an arb year of Maldonado and give him a 3/4 year deal.
    -Dump Espinosa and Valbuena at the deadline even if they have to eat 70% of the contracts. Valbuena more than Espinosa because Val has another year at 8m on the books.
    -I'd like to see them go after a starter a cut or two above the journeyman type in free agency because no way are all the rehabbing starters going to pitch a full season.
    -Mostly, I'd like to see them go with 13 pitchers the entire season unless they have 4 SOLID starters. They really do have to start embracing shorter starts for their pitchers with injury history and those who are only effective the first 2 times through the order, which is almost the entire staff. It will pay more dividends than having 1 more bad hitter for MS to play lefty/righty matchup with.

Eppler makes the future bright. Hopefully they become legit contenders before Trout's contract year but even if he does sign elsewhere I believe that Arte has found the right GM and learned his lesson about getting involved in the front office decisions.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    When the Angels are playing, I have a hard time figuring out what team the announcers are talking about. I don't know many players on the Angels roster anymore.
    Don't sweat it. Next year Trout and Simmons will have their name on their jersey. Everyone else:

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1277 Post(s)

Does anyone else here catch flack or get questioned by people on how we can be Kings fans but not Ducks fans, but be Angels fans?

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3478 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Does anyone else here catch flack or get questioned by people on how we can be Kings fans but not Ducks fans, but be Angels fans?
    Doesn't seem like it.

The majority of Halo fans I know grew up in the OC and that was before they got the Ducks. So naturally they were Angels fans and then Kings fans. I also know a bunch of Angels/Lakers fan for similar reasons as well.

For me personally, when I got into baseball in 1999, I tried watching both the Angels and Dodgers and always found the Angels more fun to watch compared to the Dodgers. I guess you can say I prefer AL over NL by a mile. Of course, thanks to the World Series win in 2002 that really made me pumped that I made the right choice. =P

Even when you go to Angels stadium, there are a good amount of people who wears Kings stuff too so it's no big deal to me. I'll get the occasional "Go Ducks" when I'm there but whatever right?
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Yes. Many of my Kings fan buddies are also Dodger fans and to them it's a package deal. I grew up in Orange County so I was an Angel fan from my childhood. When I started to be interested in hockey, the Ducks didn't exist so naturally I was a Kings fan. Really, I'd probably have considered myself a fan of both the Dodgers and the Angels if Dodger fans didn't tend to be dicks about my Angel fandom over the years. Up until inter-league there really wasn't any real rivalry.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1277 Post(s)

I grew up in Seal Beach and went to more Angel games than Dodger games. I'd say I'm a fan of both teams, Angels being my American League team and the Dodgers being my National League team. But when they play each other, Angels all the way.