Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2321 Post(s)

Everything Blake has done as GM actually has me excited for Training Camp for the first time in a LONG time.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    I mean, it seems way more likely that Kopitar was instructed to focus on a conservative offensive gameplan that kept him in a strong position defensively (to make up for injuries and roster shortfalls) than it would be the case that he just decided to do it on his own against the coaching staff's wishes.
    The next coach who tells his No. 1 center "Don't go to the net" will be the first coach to do that. And Kopitar ended up in a worse defensive position half the time by not taking the puck to the net. Not to mention that he would go to the net for extended periods of time when playing well.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

I think this signing shows that Blake doesn't have a lot of confidence in Stevens ability to fix the offense. He has two assistant coaches and usually one for the offensive side and the other for the defensive side. But now they have an additional offensive side assistant coach

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    You realize your exact criticism of Kopitar is very likely a direct result of the conservative coaching strategy he was following, right?
    Again, if he was coached to stay away from the net, and that kept him from scoring goals and points for long bits of the season, then explain to me what was happening every year under Sutter (except last) in those stretches when he was going to the net and scoring goals and points in the same system.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Default Pierre Turgeon to be hired as assistant coach

Did someone ACTUALLY suggest that the reason Kopitar no longer drives to the net is because Sutter discouraged it? Really..??

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeftHand View Post
    Did someone ACTUALLY suggest that the reason Kopitar no longer drives to the net is because Sutter discouraged it? Really..??
    He was coached...
    It's the system...
    His wingers...
    He was injured...
    His wife had a baby...
    The groomer used the wrong conditioner on Gustl...

The list of excuses for his periods of non-production is long and constantly expanding.

"It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    Again, if he was coached to stay away from the net, and that kept him from scoring goals and points for long bits of the season, then explain to me what was happening every year under Sutter (except last) in those stretches when he was going to the net and scoring goals and points in the same system.
    I was referring only to 2016-17 ("to make up for injuries and roster shortfalls")?

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

Oh. As for Turgeon, my take is: whatthef***ever.

If it'll help, fine. I guess we'll see if it'll help. I don't see how it could hurt unless all of the guys behind the bench aren't on the same page.

As it is, though, nothing so far has materially changed my outlook for the season. I'm expecting it to be much the same as last season, only without the sideshows (All-Star Game, anniversary, Bob, etc) that made last season more interesting than it otherwise would have been.

That said, we haven't seen the new system or approach from the new staff, so who knows? But it's the same set of stiff in the uniforms.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)

I was secretly hoping Dave Tippett would be hired back in some kind of coaching their Consulting capacity

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1725 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenhole View Post
    Turgeon needs to ride that horse
    Turgeon needs to RIDE IS ASS LIKE ZORRO!

Quote Originally Posted by ChilledAgua View Post
    Hope the Kings aren't interested in signing Dale Hunter for some type of position.
    Although I realize you're trying to be funny, Dale Hunter is a fantastic coach. Turgeon has also come out and said that he holds no grudge against Hunter.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom