Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    I was referring only to 2016-17 ("to make up for injuries and roster shortfalls")?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    Yes. In 2016-17, after Quick was injured, Kopitar was encouraged to take less offensive chances. This isn't that controversial a stance. They were clearly holding back offensively in front of Budaj in order to minimize chances for their opponents. It's a huge part of why they eventually traded for Bishop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Sorry but catastrophe is correct. The coaching staff fully admitted they were in a defensive shell to coddle the goalies and young defense.
    Okay. Explain to me Jeff Carter, also playing center in the same system, but scoring 30 goals, 10+ more points, and having a better plus/minus by more than 10.

And why tell your best two-way player to back off on the offensive end, where the team was hurting WAY more, to cover for a d playing in front of a goalie who was having a borderline all-star first half?

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Schadenfreude
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Kopitar clearly went rogue. Against the team's wishes he decided to try and score on occasion. Not often, mind you, but just enough to remind us that he could if he wasn't shackled by such an evil miser.
    But can he claim to see Russia from his house...?

Quote Originally Posted by MiketheKing View Post
    I've never seen such a piss-poor effort as this last year when Kopitar lost the faceoff in ot, looked completely lost as the other team walked in and scored effortlessly with no back check. It might have been against the Minnesota Wild I can't remember, I'm trying to repress those memories but that was the worst single hockey play I've ever seen on the Kings I've ever witnessed in recent years, especially from a star player getting maximum salary.
    Pretty sure Kopitar looked over both shoulders and did a pirouette as Granlund went by him on a breakaway while making race car zooming noises.

I have the best words
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)

Definitely a better hire than Andrew Cassels, per John Shrader.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    807 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChilledAgua View Post
    Hope the Kings aren't interested in signing Dale Hunter for some type of position.
    I was wondering which old schooler was going to make the first dale hunter reference....touche!
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    I think this signing shows that Blake doesn't have a lot of confidence in Stevens ability to fix the offense. He has two assistant coaches and usually one for the offensive side and the other for the defensive side. But now they have an additional offensive side assistant coach
    There was some mention a while back of them wanting an "Eye in the Sky" coach so either Don Nachbaur or Turgeon will fill that spot with the other on the bench.
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    591 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Please, find me something, anything, that supports that belief.

It's something you guys assumed to be the case, and wasn't. He just stopped trying to score. He wasn't the only one, but as the focal point he bears the most responsibility. Some of the vets on the team quit on Sutter, they didn't somehow shift their offensive focus to defense.

Kopitar played exactly like he always plays when he struggles. The only difference was that he played like that for 75% of the year instead of just six weeks.
    It's not that the coaching staff encouraged him to play perimeter. It's that they discouraged sacrificing his defense in order to get his offense going. The constant mantra about defense-first approach wasn't just a media spin.

When Kopitar is in a funk offensively, he settles for safer perimeter play and trying to shift offensive focus to his wingers while being in a defensively more sound position. A different, more offensive minded coach would instruct him to drive to the net hard and to find his offensive groove back, regardless of his defensive play. He would likely cut down his defensive zone starts and maybe even PK time.

I don't see Sutter doing that. I think Sutter supported Kopitar's style of play (at least most of the time) during his slumps because it (in their minds) minimized the risks. The risk of Kopitar focusing more on offense in order to get out of his funk and not producing still is greater than him playing safe and contributing to that 1-2, 2-3 league defense while hoping that the "bounces go in". Of course the disadvantage that they seemingly overlooked until this last season is that the funk can then drag on too long, making him effectively a Handzus for almost an entire season.

I think this is also one of the reasons a good scoring winger with chemistry with Kopitar was always a commodity that was sought after. Kopitar wasn't supposed to carry the offense while being in a funk. The wingers were relied upon when Kopitar would hit a rough patch. Eventually he breaks out of it (with the help of his wingers making his line productive still) and starts producing at a very good rate again, being confident that him attacking the net hard and being the focal point of offense is actually helping the team.

The problem last season (as I see it) is that the added pressure of $$$ (his fault for not taking a discount) and a C (not really his fault, as it was going to happen either way) pushed him into a far greater and longer funk than ever before. Perhaps it didn't take that long for him to realize he hosed the team by taking 10M for 8y instead of something a bit more reasonable, which made matters only worse. And both the coaching team and Kopitar were ill-equipped to battle such a funk due to their mishandling of them in the past.

It's not entirely the coaching fault at all. He's not the strongest person mentally, I think we all figured that much out already. But I still believe he'll get his s*** together, especially with a fresh coaching approach. We have to admit that while Sutter was able to get a heck of a lot out of this team during the 2 Cup runs, he is a stubborn MF-er with an outdated approach and mentality. Not the best recipe to shake up the bad habits in a 29yo player whose last offensive minded hockey played was, what, 9 years ago?
    Last edited by Bollocks; July 11th, 2017 at 12:03 AM.

Schadenfreude
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    It's not that the coaching staff encouraged him to play perimeter. It's that they discouraged sacrificing his defense in order to get his offense going. The constant mantra about defense-first approach wasn't just a media spin.

When Kopitar is in a funk offensively, he settles for safer perimeter play and trying to shift offensive focus to his wingers while being in a defensively more sound position. A different, more offensive minded coach would instruct him to drive to the net hard and to find his offensive groove back, regardless of his defensive play. He would likely cut down his defensive zone starts and maybe even PK time.

I don't see Sutter doing that. I think Sutter supported Kopitar's style of play (at least most of the time) during his slumps because it (in their minds) minimized the risks. The risk of Kopitar focusing more on offense in order to get out of his funk and not producing still is greater than him playing safe and contributing to that 1-2, 2-3 league defense while hoping that the "bounces go in". Of course the disadvantage that they seemingly overlooked until this last season is that the funk can then drag on too long, making him effectively a Handzus for almost an entire season.

I think this is also one of the reasons a good scoring winger with chemistry with Kopitar was always a commodity that was sought after. Kopitar wasn't supposed to carry the offense while being in a funk. The wingers were relied upon when Kopitar would hit a rough patch. Eventually he breaks out of it (with the help of his wingers making his line productive still) and starts producing at a very good rate again, being confident that him attacking the net hard and being the focal point of offense is actually helping the team.

The problem last season (as I see it) is that the added pressure of $$$ (his fault for not taking a discount) and a C (not really his fault, as it was going to happen either way) pushed him into a far greater and longer funk than ever before. Perhaps it didn't take that long for him to realize he hosed the team by taking 10M for 8y instead of something a bit more reasonable, which made matters only worse. And both the coaching team and Kopitar were ill-equipped to battle such a funk due to their mishandling of them in the past.

It's not entirely the coaching fault at all. He's not the strongest person mentally, I think we all figured that much out already. But I still believe he'll get his s*** together, especially with a fresh coaching approach. We have to admit that while Sutter was able to get a heck of a lot out of this team during the 2 Cup runs, he is a stubborn MF-er with an outdated approach and mentality. Not the best recipe to shake up the bad habits in a 29yo player whose last offensive minded hockey played was, what, 9 years ago?
    While it looks like you took some time to construct a reason to explain Kopitar's struggles, it somehow still feels like you are building me a suspension bridge over the Grand Canyon with macaroni and edible glue.

I don't think the Darryl Sutter Meat Shield affords him much protection against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune as you might think.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3583 Post(s)

What ever happened to Bernie and his PP consulting services?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    Okay. Explain to me Jeff Carter, also playing center in the same system, but scoring 30 goals, 10+ more points, and having a better plus/minus by more than 10.

And why tell your best two-way player to back off on the offensive end, where the team was hurting WAY more, to cover for a d playing in front of a goalie who was having a borderline all-star first half?
    The reason is yet another of the mantras of us brainwashed Kopi defenders--Carter often got to play with two actual top-6 forwards, while Kopi was often given grinders. Plus, having your best two-way player back off on the offensive end would be the exact reason the aforementioned goalie was having a borderline all-star first half in the first place. They didn't think they had enough offense to win without Quick, so they became (even-more) defensively minded in hopes of scraping up enough points to hang in the playoff chase. Hopefully, the other team would score two goals or less and we might pick up a point by hook or by crook. To clarify, I'm not saying this is a good use of our best two-way center. I'd imagine it also might have played a role in the locker room discord we all heard so much about--not changing things up enough when it was clear more offense was needed.

jammer's overlord
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2948 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    What ever happened to Bernie and his PP consulting services?
    he woke up and smelled the coffee?

If you're gonna stop me, you're gonna have to whack me - Jim Fox 1/5/19