Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    491 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Why delay the inevitable?
    I think the delay option for a couple of years of "feel good" hockey- maybe make the playoffs for one round and out is only going to make things worse in the long run.

Deano incredibly hand-cuffed the Kings with his bad deals. The salary structure of the Kings is among the worst in the league in terms of cap/contract value versus player performance.
    Deano played to the worst of the current CBA. He did EVERYTHING he said he would never do: He made it so the Kings cannot compete year over year. He put the team in Cap hell.
    Deano was like a gambler at the craps table who won big....not only once, but twice! Everything in his head is telling him he should walk away with the winnings, but he had to scratch that itch, not once, but a few more times.....before he knew it, all the money is gone.
    Deano got caught up in his hubris. We saw it with his team USA disaster, and of course with the Kings.

I hope Blake takes the smart path and thinks about the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    You are delaying the inevitable and inviting the best player in the history of the organization to walk as a free agent unless you change the trajectory of the team.

What Blake has accomplished this far isn't anything special, he just made the right decision when presented. That in and of itself is more trust-inspiring than the last two years of Lombardi, but it's not really an improvement, it's just stopping the bleeding.

Deciding to stop spending $20 on lunch everyday when you are near broke is a smart decision. Moving off of the dole is another thing entirely, and unfortunately it looks like the only way the Kings can do so is by making the harder choices that we haven't seen Blake make yet. It's only been a couple of months, so it's not a judgement on him, but it's not as though things have somehow gotten better. They just stopped getting worse.

Kopitar should have been traded. Carter and Muzzin should be traded. Unfortunately, moving Doughty before he is making $11 million MIGHT be the right move. I would hate to see it, and I have no doubt that he will be a quality player for another decade. But, having $21 million in two players without being a playoff level team is bad business. It's the kind of tough call where we can really evaluate Blake's performance.
    1.) Drew is very likely going to walk if the rebuild starts now. If the new management somehow makes this transition from a depleted franchise on a decline into a semi-contender that has at least a borderline shot at the Cup every year, he might not. Although he will be super expensive to resign. I wonder how Rob will be able to handle that, if it comes to that.

2.) He signed a bunch of young kids that were not drafted by this team, negotiated some really nice and reasonable contract extensions and made some significant coaching changes to bring in a breath of fresh air for this team. Sure, it ain't "special", but these I consider major steps in breaking that moldy crust that was formed around this team with that stale regime of Lombardi. We yet have to see the results of this, sure, but you can't deny it's more than just "pulling the trigger when opportunity presents itself".

3.) I agree. But trading Kopitar, if it were to be a wise decision, would have to be before he signed the extension. Now, it is what it is. Lowest value possible. The best you can do is hope he bounces back properly. The situation now is that at least one more season should be given to this core, maybe 2, for this reason alone. Then you sell the farm if they fail to produce entirely. Not sure that would in fact happen or if Luc and Rob would still try to find ways to fix the mess, as they seem pretty hell-bent on trying to make the playoffs year in, year out. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And, perhaps most importantly to address your concerns about "the inevitable" - this team, if properly coached and motivated and if we're lucky to avoid major injuries, has:
    - Arguably the best defenseman in the world.
    - Arguably the top 3 two way center in the world.
    - A top 5 goalie.
    - A very good and Cup-experienced extended core in Carter, Muzzin, Toffoli, Pearson and Martinez.

What this team now needs most is some young players to make an impact and the support cast to bring it. With a refreshed game plan that maybe happens with one or two forwards, rounding up the top 6 nicely. The defense core looks pretty stacked if they continue to develop steadily.

What if Brown and/or Gabbo decide to show up and be healthy?

Maybe they manage to sign and/or trade for the "right piece" (i.e. Richards, Carter trades) if some of the young kids they draft/sign prove promising enough to have good value in a trade.

Sure, there are a lot of ifs. But this core is still capable of being the Cup winning core. You take that chance. There are ~20 other teams having big appetite for the Cup every year. How many of those "preparing" for the big jump at the Cup for years via tanking and such actually succeed? Kings, Penguins and Blackhawks did in the Cap era and no one really came close yet to these teams when it comes to proper rebuilds. Because they struck gold in draft and because their plan was solid, and they made the right moves. We seem to take that for granted now, but the perfect storm you need to form such a core is rare. It's much more important to draft smart and make good moves than it is to just sell your farm every once in a while and suck for 3-4 years to stockpile all kinds of talent. That talent might be a bust or might just not gel properly. The Kings still have some potential in that already proven core that took years to build and develop.

So I think you definitely take that chance. You tell the team to pull the Penguins and win it one more time. What is delaying 1-2 years trying a few more times with your already Cup-winning core with a fresh approach compared to a potentially flawed or just simply unlucky rebuilding process that could take years before producing an actual Cup winner-worthy team?

And don't forget that:
    - if the Kings struck gold and some very promising players emerge in these 2 years,
    - if the new CBA enables cheap exits to ****ty contracts,
    there may be no need for a rebuild at all. But as soon as you sell the farm, your path is set in stone. The ship is sunk and you can only hope that the new one is capable to confront the winners of this league. Try to think how painful this process was for teams that weren't as lucky as the Kings were with the rebuild.
    Last edited by Bollocks; July 15th, 2017 at 03:38 AM.

Don't Make Me Destroy You
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Not sure that would in fact happen or if Luc and Rob would still try to find ways to fix the mess, as they seem pretty hell-bent on trying to make the playoffs year in, year out. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Pretty sure most GM's would take this "mess" as a place to start, in a heart beat. Many of them would probably strip down the core and supporting cast just to supplement it and make it extremely competitive with half of the league, aka the contenders.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    491 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crapola View Post
    Pretty sure most GM's would take this "mess" as a place to start, in a heart beat. Many of them would probably strip down the core and supporting cast just to supplement it and make it extremely competitive with half of the league, aka the contenders.
    No, what they have now is a very good place to start a new chapter. But if this core s*** the bed for the most part for two more seasons, then they're clearly done for and should be scrapped for good. But I really doubt that will be the case.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    You are delaying the inevitable and inviting the best player in the history of the organization to walk as a free agent unless you change the trajectory of the team.

What Blake has accomplished this far isn't anything special, he just made the right decision when presented. That in and of itself is more trust-inspiring than the last two years of Lombardi, but it's not really an improvement, it's just stopping the bleeding.

Deciding to stop spending $20 on lunch everyday when you are near broke is a smart decision. Moving off of the dole is another thing entirely, and unfortunately it looks like the only way the Kings can do so is by making the harder choices that we haven't seen Blake make yet. It's only been a couple of months, so it's not a judgement on him, but it's not as though things have somehow gotten better. They just stopped getting worse.

Kopitar should have been traded. Carter and Muzzin should be traded. Unfortunately, moving Doughty before he is making $11 million MIGHT be the right move. I would hate to see it, and I have no doubt that he will be a quality player for another decade. But, having $21 million in two players without being a playoff level team is bad business. It's the kind of tough call where we can really evaluate Blake's performance.
    This is classic. So glad this is in writing. Unlike the Cup you predicted in 2012.

Although I do think we have you on record saying Bernier would be a better goaltender than Quick. I know we have you on record saying the goaltender position isn't that important.
    Last edited by nillson; July 17th, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Shepard4Kings
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Luc, you are trying to sell a liability as an asset.
    It worked for ENRON! (for a while, at least)

Quote Originally Posted by EDITMAN2411 View Post
    Great. So we're going to be the F-35 of the NHL.
    I'd prefer going back to being the A-10 of the NHL. Big, powerful and protective. Not necessarily fast. That won us da Cups. BRRRRTT

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nillson View Post
    This is classic. So glad this is in writing. Unlike the Cup you predicted in 2012.

Although I do think we have you on record saying Bernier would be a better goaltender than Quick. I know we have you on record saying the goaltender position isn't that important.
    Lol. I would say try again, but we already know the result. You can't even remember stuff we talked about last month much less understand what we were talking about years before you showed up.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1388 Post(s)

Oh the irony.....See Peter Budaj.

Great defense with "serviceable" goaltender > standard defense with world class goaltender

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Oh the irony.....See Peter Budaj.

Great defense with "serviceable" goaltender > standard defense with world class goaltender
    And did we make the playoffs with Peter in net?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1388 Post(s)

And did we make the playoffs with Peter in net?
    Please do go on and tell us all how goaltending last season was the BIG reason why the Kings did not make the playoffs!!!

Do tell!!!!

For crying out load....the local rags called him the "season savior"
    http://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/05...season-savior/

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Please do go on and tell us all how goaltending last season was the BIG reason why the Kings did not make the playoffs!!!

Do tell!!!!

For crying out load....the local rags called him the "season savior"
    http://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/05...season-savior/
    You were the one who said "Great defense with "serviceable" goaltender > standard defense with world class goaltender". We had the same defense but our "serviceable" goaltender couldn't make up for the lack of offense.

But let's stick with your logic. That means you would trade Quick to Tampa for Budaj straight up to save money. I bet Tampa might take you up on that offer!