21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1427 Post(s)

Default What happened to Anze Kopitar?

A fair and interesting read.
    http://www.tsn.ca/talent/what-happen...pitar-1.841044

....I noted earlier that last year’s failures – particularly across the top six – seemed to be more about the Kings than Kopitar, but I purposely did not absolve Kopitar of blame. The hallmark of any bona fide top-six centre (or any top-four defender, for that matter) is that he generally boosts the numbers of those around him. Kopitar’s done that for about a decade, but last year was an exception. Even though we can reasonably conclude that throwing a bunch of checking-line, offensively limited forwards on Kopitar’s side was a poor bet, it doesn’t seem that Kopitar – like he has in years past – was able to improve their overall game.

To me, the key for Los Angeles going forward is surrounding Kopitar with as much talent as possible. If we are in the twilight of Kopitar’s career, and he’s devolving from a superstar centre to just a very good one, then he’s going to need some help from time to time. Players like Brown, Iginla and Gaborik simply cannot handle that role in 2016-17.

The concerning part to me is that little has changed up front for the Kings heading into next season. Outside of playing Toffoli more with Kopitar (which seems like a decent option, though it leaves them vulnerable down the lineup), what can the Kings do? Newly acquired Michael Cammalleri can still shoot the puck, but at the age of 35, where is his game going? It strikes me as very possible he goes down the Iginla road – a road where offence can die very, very quickly.

Keep the above in mind as next season progresses. The Kings, for the first time in what feels like forever, actually have some cap space (just under $7 million). If they’re a playoff contender, it seems to me that the obvious add at the trade deadline is a winger for Kopitar – one that can give them the scoring depth they need to return to the postseason

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    774 Post(s)

I will continue to dispute the notion that Kopitar makes the players around him better. Usually, in fact, I argue quite the opposite*.

I will also continue to suppose that the drop off in Gaborik's game is the result of a change in the Kings' overall style of play (as well as Anze's) that strayed further from a "front of the net" mentality. A return to a system where the puck is more often loose in front would, I expect, result in the recovery of some of Gaborik's numbers as he is once again given the chance to be a very well paid garbage goal scorer.

*[edit] In that the players around Kopitar make him better. I re-read that sentence and saw that it could also have been interpreted as "Kopitar makes players around him worse," which wasn't my intention and is not my belief.
    Last edited by darby; August 29th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Gold Plated Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Gaborik is old and injured and we all knew the extension he signed as a "thank you" for helping us win the second cup was going to bite us in the ass, numerous times. And it continues to.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1355 Post(s)

The Myth of Kopitar's Wingers

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    The Myth of Kopitar's Wingers
    Is Kopitar Sisyphus in this metaphor? Are the wingers the rock? Does that make you Camus? Does that mean we're all in the underworld?Somehow life totally makes sense right now, good times.

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

NOBODY on the Kings team last year played well. Carter had a Carter year, which is to be expected, but nobody else helped out. Gabby,...nyet

I hope to see a big difference this year

Team Melf.
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    587 Post(s)

LGK told me he has sleep apnea.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Taken with a grain of salt, considering the author thought Iginla didn't play well. Had he played the whole season with LA, he would have put up 25+ goals. Players have off years, and the whole team was subpar except for Carter and Budaj. Cut Kopi some slack.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2721 Post(s)

We haven't discussed Kopitar in weeks. Are we gearing for the regular season already? It's only August.

Registered abuser
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Invisitar.....
    If a ram is a sheep and a mule is an ass,why is a ram in the ass a goose?