Thread: Article on Doughty from The Hockey News

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1341 Post(s)

We all know the clock is ticking on Doughty.
    Deano created this upcoming mess.
    Blake will have to attempt to clean it up.

What happens to Doughty will be the defining moment of Blake's tenure as GM.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

I don't see Doughty going anywhere unless the kings are a complete dumpster fire in a couple of years. He's not going to Toronto. They will be in cap hell in a few years after they resign all of their young talent. They aren't going to have to room to make Doughty one of the highest paid players in the game. Most contenders don't have cap space, so unless Doughty wants to sign with an up and coming team (Arizona maybe?), I don't see him leaving LA. He's said it too many times he loves it here. Again if the Kings turn into mid 90's version of the kings, then all bets are off.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2646 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stadlere View Post
    I don't see Doughty going anywhere unless the kings are a complete dumpster fire in a couple of years. He's not going to Toronto. They will be in cap hell in a few years after they resign all of their young talent. They aren't going to have to room to make Doughty one of the highest paid players in the game. Most contenders don't have cap space, so unless Doughty wants to sign with an up and coming team (Arizona maybe?), I don't see him leaving LA. He's said it too many times he loves it here. Again if the Kings turn into mid 90's version of the kings, then all bets are off.
    If he becomes a UFA, contending teams would trade away some significant assets for picks/prospects to free up cap room. Good GM's will do whatever is necessary. Players of his caliber almost never become UFA's. He loves it here while it is a winning team. I'm sure he's loving it quite a bit less now. If they fail to make the playoffs yet again, I see no reason for him to stick around.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

IMO Drew is seriously signaling the Kings to get better now (because he wants to win), or else hes gone. How will Blake play it? Hes either going to have to make a key move to make them better NOW with big assets if he really wants to keep Drew (and will that result in a Cup contending team?) - or deal him for the richest set of assets he can get. Not too many FA's want to come to LA these days so that's not looking like the hopeful path. DD could be coming out with this message to force the Kings to make improvements.

Time to see what Blake is really made of and what direction the Brass really wants to take the Kings apart from all the free cookies and PR Bull.

I'm holding out hope Blake can find a way but honestly he's shown nothing in his past that would indicate he can handle this kind of thing.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)

If Doughty won't sign or the Kings can't afford to re-sign him then I have no trouble trading him at some point.

My take is if players like Gretzky, Dionne, Bourque, guys like that can be traded then I don't see why it's a big shock if the Kings ended up trading Doughty down the road. It's the nature of sports.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    411 Post(s)

I would not be surprised to see Doughty traded to rebuild the farm system. I'm not saying it should be done, then again, I'm not saying it shouldn't, just that it might.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2646 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

I'm holding out hope Blake can find a way but honestly he's shown nothing in his past that would indicate he can handle this kind of thing.
    I'm not sure anyone could handle this kind of thing. He's hamstrung by bad contracts and management's apparent desire to continue to "contend."

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2985 Post(s)

Anyone who thinks doughty won't go for the highest possible contract he can get is fooling themselves. That will be the greatest factor in any decision he makes.

Chalk Eating Weasel
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Anyone who thinks doughty won't go for the highest possible contract he can get is fooling themselves. That will be the greatest factor in any decision he makes.
    Immediately after the expiration of his ELC, for his first standard contract he demanded to be the highest-paid player on the team, and got it. The Kings have far less cap flexdibility now than they did at that point. Doughty (and his agent) didn't care about that then and it's ludicrous to think that this time will be any different.

I firmly believe that all the "Cups talk" is totally secondary to the $$$. Nobody wants to play for a doormat, but if that's where the bucks are to be found, I say he goes. I think he's hoping that there will be enough suitors to ensure a max contract, if he does in fact hit UFA status.

Get whatever you are able for him while you still can.

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

The story has gone viral by now as all would expect. Dewey is just posturing to get the best deal he can as soon as he can. Remember who he will be negotiating with. The truth will come out and then you will understand. In other words Blake better not screw the pooch on this one. But remember "it's just business".