Thread: Article on Doughty from The Hockey News

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Agreed that he will not sign with a team that is not in the highest tier of offers, but not necessarily the highest offer and that means total package, not cap hit. As he has said, coaching and the team system means something to him. Question is whether the extra year of term that the Kings can offer and its reduction of the cap hit by 12.5% combined with the cap space cleared by one or multiple of the following the summer he becomes UFA can put the Kings in the top tier:

Cap going up by approx 2m/yr = 4m more cap space in 19/20
    Buyout Gaborik save 2m 1st two years minus replacement salary
    Buyout Brown save 4m 1st yr, 2.5m next two years minus replacement salary
    Trade Muzz or AMart because in two years one of the prospects has stepped up- 4m minus replacement salary
    Greene's buyout hit comes off the books .83m
    Richards recapture penalty is on its last year in 19/20 and after that they save 1.3m
    If they can sign/develop a #1 goalie by then they could trade Quick- up to 5.6m, possible salary retention depending on circumstances and minus replacement salary

Yes, there are trade-offs associated with most of these but I think they have to do whatever it takes to keep Doughty and see what the new CBA after the 21-22 season can offer. Who knows, maybe they can get out of the Kopitar contract if his play doesn't become commensurate with his contract by then.
    Last edited by RockPile; September 10th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4187 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    So not willing to commit to fitness, going home to Toronto in the offseason, saying in other interviews how every Ontario player wants to play for Toronto isn't a question of his commitment to his team?

The one who says Sutter had to go doesn't lose leadership points?

Doughty will be worth max contract and will play at a high level until he's 38 years old, but Kopitar will be done at 34? Are these your thoughts or is Jim Fox thinking for you again?

My point is both Kopitar and Doughty need to do better as the leaders. But neither is singularly responsible for all wrong with the Kings. If you cannot apply your criticisms equally, then it's simply hypocrisy
    Lol, this is ridiculous. Doughty was known for being heavy when he was a kid, but it has NEVER been a problem in the NHL. He skates near 30 minutes every night without ever taking a shift off. He has never once given anyone any reason to question his conditioning, unlike Kopitar who takes WEEKS off a time.

Who the hell cares where anybody goes in the off-season?That has never been an argument of mine. Any time anybody has brought that up over the past two years I have said "of course he s going home, he is getting married" then "of course he s going home, he just had he first kid". You are grasping at the very tips of some chewed up paper straws here.

Doughty has always been a Kings fan. We have known that since he draft year. Making any innocuous comments about kids in Toronto dreaming about playing for the Leafs doesn't inspire any doubts.

Doughty has never given anyone a reason to doubt his ability to perform consistently at his absolute best for the team. Kopitar does so every season. Every stinking season.

And for someone who claims to be interested in scouting to not understand how defenseman ripen with age and have a much longer shelf life is pretty silly. I suspect you know this, but are grasping at this soggy straw ends again just to try and make a hint of a point.

For the record, I don't think either Doughty or Kopitar is the kind of guy who inspires confidence as a captain. I appreciate his candor in that article, and while it's disappointing that Doughty would openly comment about his coach as well, the most important difference is that Drew didn't quit on Sutter last year despite feeling he had to get replaced unlike a certain mega-deal signing first time captain who SHOULD have tried harder than he did after being rewarded with both of those honors.

Finally it's only hypocrisy in your eyes because you keep bending over backwards to deny Kopitar's primary role in the team's failure. The two are most definitely not equal. You are manufacturing a false equivalency here to justify a razor thin argument that frankly doesn't have a leg to stand on.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    891 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RockPile View Post
    Agreed that he will not sign with a team that is not in the highest tier of offers, but not necessarily the highest offer and that means total package, not cap hit. As he has said, coaching and the team system means something to him. Question is whether the extra year of term that the Kings can offer and its reduction of the cap hit by 12.5% combined with the cap space cleared by one or multiple of the following the summer he becomes UFA can put the Kings in the top tier:

Cap going up by approx 2m/yr = 4m more cap space in 19/20
    Buyout Gaborik save 2m 1st two years minus replacement salary
    Buyout Brown save 4m 1st yr, 2.5m next two years minus replacement salary
    Trade Muzz or AMart because in two years one of the prospects has stepped up- 4m minus replacement salary
    Greene's buyout hit comes off the books .83m
    Richards recapture penalty is on its last year in 19/20 and after that they save 1.3m
    If they can sign/develop a #1 goalie by then they could trade Quick- up to 5.6m, possible salary retention depending on circumstances and minus replacement salary

Yes, there are trade-offs associated with most of these but I think they have to do whatever it takes to keep Doughty and see what the new CBA after the 21-22 season can offer. Who knows, maybe they can get out of the Kopitar contract if his play doesn't become commensurate with his contract by then.
    Yep. Just back up the Brinks truck and get it done.

Btw, the Canadian dollar is now worth 82 cents so the cap could move up a much larger amount than it has the past few summers.

Most other competitive teams have gone out of their way to get into salary cap hell this summer so the Kings could be ok.

Plus what team is going to want a coach killer like Drew?

Myopic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Doughty and a pick

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    642 Post(s)

I'm already preparing myself for the day that he's no longer a King...whether that's via a trade before his contract is up or he leaves for free agency. Just feels like all of his comments, whether or not they are being made to push management to get better, give me little confidence he will be back.
    Last edited by LAKingSteve; September 11th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingSteve View Post
    I'm already preparing myself for the day that he's no longer a King...whether that's via a trade before his contract is up or he leaves for free agency. Just feels like all of his comments, whether or not they are being made to push management to get better, give me little confidence he will be back.
    I look at it more as his management is being very up front with Blake that he needs to manage the cap to accommodate his upcoming salary demand starting now. Every move he makes has to be with one eye on retaining Drew. It's fair warning and clear communication with a young GM, nothing more. Hopefully Blake understands that the team that ends up with the best player almost always wins the trade no matter how many bodies are involved and in what scenario will the Kings trade #8 and end up with a better player?

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1602 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Conie View Post

Best quote, "I want to win Cups. I donít give a s--- where I play"
    Translation: I want a new coach or I'm walking in ufa.

4th Line Insurance Policy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

It took me a couple days to figure out why Doughty's comments didn't bother me, when I knew in the back of my mind they probably should. And now that I understand why, I'm actually pretty glad that he did say what he said.

It's because I don't really believe that Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille are going to have what it takes to get this team turned around in the next two years. I mean, ****, we'll see right? I don't mean to be down on them when they haven't been given a chance yet. I just don't see much beyond talk so far.

But I'm not mad at Drew for being transparent. There are probably two people on the planet whose opinion has the power to truly motivate Kings management - those people are Phil Anschutz and Drew Doughty. DD basically just threw the organization's own "mantra-speak" right back at them.

We expect to win every year.
    Not making the playoffs is unacceptable.
    We don't tolerate a culture of mediocrity.
    Etc.

As fans, we like to think we can send this message to the organization through our mouths and our wallets. Meh. Not really. Fans in Toronto and Chicago were roundly ignored for decades.

Drew, in his own wonky way, just served up a reminder to management that the players are holding them accountable. And isn't that kind of what a winning culture is all about?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1426 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post

It's because I don't really believe that Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille are going to have what it takes to get this team turned around in the next two years. I mean, ****, we'll see right? I don't mean to be down on them when they haven't been given a chance yet. I just don't see much beyond talk so far.
    ?
    I don't believe that Luc and Rob were hired to "do whatever it takes to turn the team around".
    I think Luc was/is a "yes man" for AEG, and Rob was the only guy who would take the GM job as a "place holder".

AEG does NOT want a complete re-build. AEG wants to attempt to continue to ride the bandwagon money train until the wheels completely fall off. ( I think the bandwagon's wheels coming off came sooner than expected for AEG)
    AEG hired Luc and Rob to do whatever window dressing they can for the franchise considering their hands are completely tied thanks to Deano's horrible management over the past 3 years.

Given the current CBA, combined with Deano's disastrous contracts, and no hot prospects, there is really nothing Luc and Rob can do to turn the franchise around.
    Deano getting fired was a given. Stevens is a guy that is willing to take the head coach job KNOWING full well that he will not get any meaningful help from the GM.....because the GM can't do anything meaningful anyway.

I think the Kings would have been hard pressed to hire a top tier NHL coach who would be willing to coach a team that cannot be improved from the GM's decisions.

Deano made this bed.....AEG wants to run out the clock as long as they can.
    The players, coaches, management, and fans will all lay down in the bed Deano made.

Doughty being dealt or walking may well be the final kick in the teeth for Kings fans....all thanks to Deano.

Don't blame Luc, Rob, or Stevens.....they can't put Deano's "Humpty" back together again.

Best we can hope for as fans is mediocre, but more "exciting" hockey under Stevens.

The next CBA can't come soon enough for Kings fans.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    If he becomes a UFA, contending teams would trade away some significant assets for picks/prospects to free up cap room. Good GM's will do whatever is necessary. Players of his caliber almost never become UFA's. He loves it here while it is a winning team. I'm sure he's loving it quite a bit less now. If they fail to make the playoffs yet again, I see no reason for him to stick around.
    I agree with you and think all teams will line up to pitch to him, but there were only be a handful of teams that can make it happen, even after moving assets around to do it, which is easier said than done.

Another thing that will be interesting is Doughty will be a free agent he summer of the next NHL lockout. From what everyone is reporting it's almost a guarantee the NHLPA will opt out of the CBA. As we get closer to that, we will start hearing whispers of what the NHL and the NHLPA want in the next CBA. It will definitely be an interesting summer for him and the Kings....I'm thinking the no cap penalty buy out returns for two players on each team like last time.