Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Kneeling Phenomena (during National Anthem)

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

Having Free speech if one prime rights our country was founded upon, but while being free to speak as one likes the 1st amendment does not protect one from any repercussions any backlash is created by expressing ones free speech rights. One may actually have the protected right to voice such in protest but will not receive any protections if their workplace decides they don't wish to have such expressions voiced.

The 1st amendment allowed the KKK to march in Charlottesville but as those marchers who got identified by name have found that companies they worked for have chosen to part ways with them once it is found they hold such views. It is one of the reasons the Antifa marchers wear masks when confronting other groups at protests in which violence does occur. The fear of repercussions is strong.

Colin Kapernick can't find a job in the NFL due to his stand but in the same way Tim Tebow found himself on the outside of the league due to his strongly held religious faith was considered a distraction. Both expressed themselves on the football field in ways that lead teams to determine that their talent was not worth accepting the "baggage" they brought with them.

Currently a "Star" player can protest on the field where a borderline player who if they did may well find themselves cut. Not fair but still true. As far as Fan reactions , we will see how many abandon the sports if these protests continue and if a drop in money coming in from tickets and ads are enough to effect the bottom line. If so then that's a repercussion that will need to weighed and policies may well change down road.
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Apples and hubcaps. Certainly you see the inconsistencies in your analogies. This kneeling thing is a lazy, inarticulate temper tantrum, with all the maturity of holding one's breath. Don't draw parallels to truly courageous heroes like Parks and King who contested real issues; it's an insult to them and it implies you don't know better.

This isn't a matter of proper versus improper, uncomfortable, inappropriate, whatever. It's a matter of disrespecting the entire nation, everybody in it, everybody who fought and died for it, and everything it stands for. And when it's that very nation that pioneered the freedoms they enjoy, the one led the world in that direction, it's simply moronic. Then there's the "hiding in the locker room" thing. Sheer cowardice.

In summary: it's a disrespectful act by unashamedly uneducated, ungrateful, moronic cowards. There isn't one noble or heroic thing about this.
    Sorry man, you are woefully uneducated in regards to the reason for these protests. They aren't protesting the nation - they are protesting an ideal that has become just a matter of fact. African Americans have always had a different relationship to the symbols of so-called "freedom" of this country. It's not your business to tell ANY other American how and what they should feel about ANYTHING. That is the epitome of freedom, and their perspective is a completely different one than yours.

The current administration is openly supporting the very principles that concern a large portion of our fellow Americans. They have every right to protest and draw attention to their views. Sorry if it ticks you off, that's on you.

And you know what? It's about damn time every American takes a long look in the mirror and asks themselves just what is so "great" about this country, if anything at all anymore, instead of worrying about whether somebody else has a legitimate axe to grind.

It's just a knee. It's just a song, it's just a piece of cloth. The ideals that supposedly make up their meaning are slipping through our grasp more and more. They aren't here by accident, they were developed and tested, and we are learning more and more each day that they can be lost oh so easily. Hell, people are giving them away for nothing, just to make sure that other Americans don't have them.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Apples and hubcaps. Certainly you see the inconsistencies in your analogies. This kneeling thing is a lazy, inarticulate temper tantrum, with all the maturity of holding one's breath. Don't draw parallels to truly courageous heroes like Parks and King who contested real issues; it's an insult to them and it implies you don't know better.

This isn't a matter of proper versus improper, uncomfortable, inappropriate, whatever. It's a matter of disrespecting the entire nation, everybody in it, everybody who fought and died for it, and everything it stands for. And when it's that very nation that pioneered the freedoms they enjoy, the one led the world in that direction, it's simply moronic. Then there's the "hiding in the locker room" thing. Sheer cowardice.

In summary: it's a disrespectful act by unashamedly uneducated, ungrateful, moronic cowards. There isn't one noble or heroic thing about this.
    Sorry man, you are woefully uneducated in regards to the reason for these protests. They aren't protesting the nation - they are protesting an ideal that has become just a matter of fact. African Americans have always had a different relationship to the symbols of so-called "freedom" of this country. It's not your business to tell ANY other American how and what they should feel about ANYTHING. That is the epitome of freedom, and their perspective is a completely different one than yours.

The current administration is openly supporting the very principles that concern a large portion of our fellow Americans. They have every right to protest and draw attention to their views. Sorry if it ticks you off, that's on you.

And you know what? It's about damn time every American takes a long look in the mirror and asks themselves just what is so "great" about this country, if anything at all anymore, instead of worrying about whether somebody else has a legitimate axe to grind.

It's just a knee. It's just a song, it's just a piece of cloth. The ideals that supposedly make up their meaning are slipping through our grasp more and more. They aren't here by accident, they were developed and tested, and we are learning more and more each day that they can be lost oh so easily. Hell, people are giving them away for nothing, just to make sure that other Americans don't have them.
    Well said blando-- Golf clap. I completely agree that people have no right in hell to tell other people how to feel or how to non-violently protest oppression. Do people really think that rich athletes are doing this as a trend or just because they're bored? There are deep hurt filled feelings behind this that have been deep within the American social structures since our country's Inception that clearly did not go away after slavery ended.

If white people are so offended maybe they should get stepping stools so they're even higher up on the field to stand for patriotism-- but of course this is a joke and a meaningless gesture opposed to the personal message these athletes are standing up to. In the words of Bob Marley, if you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)

Default The Kneeling Phenomena (during National Anthem)

That very nation that pioneered the freedoms they now enjoy, or rather, built itself upon the backs of those it trampled, while doing so?

Don't get me wrong, America is certainly one of the best places in the world to be a citizen of, for some of us, but not all of us. I would think these issues are fairly obvious to most of you, being hockey fans, and considering that hockey is such a team oriented sport. Yet, we often lose sight of the fact that some of our American 'teammates' are woefully under-served, when it comes to their rights and freedoms.
    Last edited by DarkLeftHand; September 27th, 2017 at 12:33 AM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)

Here is my thoughts. Stand. Kneel. Do Jumping Jacks. I don't care. Don't cover it and it goes away. They don't even televise the Anthem. The media keeps covering it (Oh, look what ____ did) So I got to hear about from everybody including our President who should be worrying about Puerto Rico. You know, US citizens.

Everybody has the right to do what they want (within the law). That's why we are America.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2734 Post(s)

http://www.armytimes.com/opinion/201...-long-snapper/

The link is to an open letter to Kaepernick from Nate Boyer, a former Green Beret and college football player (he played one preseason game in the NFL), after Kaepernick sat for the anthem for three games.

I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It’s your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.

Even though my initial reaction to your protest was one of anger, I’m trying to listen to what you’re saying and why you’re doing it. When I told my mom about this article, she cautioned me that "the last thing our country needed right now was more hate." As usual, she’s right.
    Kaepernick met with Boyer for 90 minutes, and after their talk, decided to kneel rather than sit at Boyer's suggestion, in order to show respect to the flag. Why? Because that's how soldiers show respect at another soldier's grave and because at a military funeral, after the flag is removed from the casket and folded 13 times, it is presented to a family member while kneeling.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2022 Post(s)

I have no problem with the kneel or protest. Just the timing, why do they have to do it during the national anthem and in front of millions of fans on TV and tens of thousands in the stadium on company time and the fans dime? I would love to see them on their day off hold their protests.

I like what Brandon Marshall did last season when he had a meeting with the Chief of Police in his city. After that meeting, I believe he did not kneel for the rest of the season. They talked about both of their experiences. Who knew?

I believe kneeling during the anthem is not going to change any cause? Talking might?

Triple Crown Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

This is one of the more thought provoking threads I have read on LGK in a while.

If you don't like the protests, and want to protest against the protest, don't watch, don't buy the gear, cancel your NFL package. Just tell them you are cancelling due to the protest and you will get a refund.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)

The problem is that there are some of us (many of us) to whom it isn't just a piece of cloth. Contrary to the opinion of some, love for one's country is not a contemptible thing. It is that love that is the basis of my disgust with these players' behavior. I suppose if you just see it as a piece of cloth, or just a song, you just won't get it, so perhaps convincing you otherwise is a lost cause. But, I have served my country, and I have had friends that I served with who died doing the same. I am eternally grateful for the opportunities I have for no other reason than being born here, and you'll never convince me otherwise. I'm saddened that somehow you've been convinced otherwise.

I know I'm not going to convince you of my opinion because you seem pretty satisfied with your beliefs. In light of this, I'm off to go deal with matters of consequence, so I bid you farewell.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)

Default The Kneeling Phenomena (during National Anthem)

Kneeling in protest to institutional racism is a form of free speech soldiers died protecting.

I wouldn't kneel in protest, but I respect the rights of those who choose to do so.

And no matter what side you stand on, whether you want to kneel or stand, telling someone how they should express themselves is a manner of controlling speech. And controlling speech is one step removed from controlling thought.
    Last edited by King'sPawn; September 27th, 2017 at 09:05 PM.