1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Credit? You can't be serious. The league is getting sued. They buried this stuff for years. They are only now taking a "token" approach to concussions.

This same NHL that this year stated that they are "skeptical" about CTE. This same NHL who said this year they would NOT fund concussion research.
    This same NHL that is fighting tooth and nail in their lawsuit against former players who have had head injuries.

......THIS SAME NHL that allowed Crosby ( a well documented player with multiple concussions) to come back to play in the playoffs just 5 days after yet another concussion this past season.

...Sure the team/league doctors cleared him. If the doctors say you are good to go...then you are good to go.....right? The doctors have been doing that for decades now.
    The doctors don't work for the players, they work for the league/owner. They don't have the players interest at heart. They say they do, but watch their actions.
    The new "protocols" are smoke and mirrors.

I love this sport, but the NHL is down right sinister on the CTE concussion issue.
    You raise many good points. The league has done a few things, but, as you've mentioned, not nearly enough. It's scary to think how worse things were 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3399 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Even more amazing is that he does not remember the hit, the goal he scored afterwards, nor does he remember playing in the following game 7.

Stunning....and incredibly sad.
    Not amazing, I went headfirst into the boards in a beer league game. Was out for certain, saw the doc and he told me I definitely suffered brain injury. Sat out a couple weeks. Played in a game, was sitting in the penalty box and looking at the scoreboard realized our team was up by 2 goals. Asked the scorekeep who scored them, he looked at me and said "you did?" I had no memory and was utterly bewildered by it.

Win it again..for Tanner!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    461 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Remarkable how he came back from that hit. That hit by Stevens is easily in the top 5 of biggest chicken **** hits in the history of the league.
    unfortunately, Kariya was on the other end of the Suter one as well.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    350 Post(s)

I just saw the video. Yeah, I kinda feel bad cheering for him getting hit so much, even though he was a Duck and a D!ck. It's amazing & sad that he doesn't remember anything before, during, or even 2 days after the Stevens hit. I actually think the Suter crosscheck to Kariya's head was way worse. That was absolutely chicken bleep & caused him to miss the Olympics. It certainly didn't make me proud to be 'Murican. With the CTE issue, the league is doing better now but they had to be dragged kicking & screaming into doing the right thing. And they could still do more.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Hope he has a long normal life. A shame what happened to him and others. Cheapshot hits for sure. Cant imagine what he would do in todays NHL. PPG player back then, WOW.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

That douchebag Suter also screwed up Gretzky's back in the 1991 Canada Cup.

No Kool-Aid needed!!!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)

For a while back in the 90's I followed both the Kings and the Ducks pretty closely. Kariya was never the same after that hit by Suter. He was still a good player, but it was always clear that something had changed.