Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1464 Post(s)

Default Surfacing - Paul Kariya (where is he now) mini-doco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPjvWBR_JgI

For those who don't know, Kariya basically disappeared after retirement due to way too many concussions.
    This is the first time since retirement he has really done any sort of "interview".
    He will be inducted into the HOF this year.

Huge take away from the vid: At one point he was diagnosed having lost 60% of brain function, and tested in the 25% in cognitive functioning for his age group........hits to the head (concussions) destroyed him. CTE much?
    A damn shame.

it's camping season!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Still remember Stevens knocking him completely out. Kariya comes back and scores! wow

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPKING View Post
    Still remember Stevens knocking him completely out. Kariya comes back and scores! wow

Ha! Was going to type the same thing. I was at that game cheering for the Devils at the Pond. A family member got me the tickets. They knew I liked hockey but apparently they did not know the team (I liked) or thought it was irrelevant. *laughing* Guess it all worked out in the end. That hit was AMMMAZZZING.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1159 Post(s)

Remarkable how he came back from that hit. That hit by Stevens is easily in the top 5 of biggest chicken **** hits in the history of the league.

They're a finesse team.
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    456 Post(s)

Great video. Thanks for posting.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Remarkable how he came back from that hit. That hit by Stevens is easily in the top 5 of biggest chicken **** hits in the history of the league.
    Even more amazing is that he does not remember the hit, the goal he scored afterwards, nor does he remember playing in the following game 7.

Stunning....and incredibly sad.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1159 Post(s)

Yeah man, I watched that at it really bummed me out. And seeing the clips off all the other hits to his head pissed me off even more...each one was very dirty. A crosscheck to the face, and punch (with hand wrapped around the stick) to the back of the head when he wasn't looking. Busch league p****y ***** right there.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Yeah man, I watched that at it really bummed me out. And seeing the clips off all the other hits to his head pissed me off even more...each one was very dirty. A crosscheck to the face, and punch (with hand wrapped around the stick) to the back of the head when he wasn't looking. Busch league p****y ***** right there.
    Same here. Watching that stuff again, and hearing him say how is brain is all screwed up made me sad and angry at the same time.

Players who commit these cheapshots should be tossed out of the league.....not to mention the fact that the NHL did/does put up with this ***** is disturbing, and down right wrong.

I fear with the (assumed) CTE Kariya has........what will his life be like in 5-10 years from now? CTE is degenerative.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Same here. Watching that stuff again, and hearing him say how is brain is all screwed up made me sad and angry at the same time.

Players who commit these cheapshots should be tossed out of the league.....not to mention the fact that the NHL did/does put up with this ***** is disturbing, and down right wrong.

I fear with the (assumed) CTE Kariya has........what will his life be like in 5-10 years from now? CTE is degenerative.
    The NHL, to its credit, has cracked down on head hits and taken measures to detect concussions (quiet room, etc.). No way in heck would Kariya return to that game today. Sadly, if not tragically, these changes came to late for Kariya, Peluso, and who knows how many others.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05/29/93 View Post
    The NHL, to its credit, has cracked down on head hits and taken measures to detect concussions (quiet room, etc.). No way in heck would Kariya return to that game today. Sadly, if not tragically, these changes came to late for Kariya, Peluso, and who knows how many others.
    Credit? You can't be serious. The league is getting sued. They buried this stuff for years. They are only now taking a "token" approach to concussions.

This same NHL that this year stated that they are "skeptical" about CTE. This same NHL who said this year they would NOT fund concussion research.
    This same NHL that is fighting tooth and nail in their lawsuit against former players who have had head injuries.

......THIS SAME NHL that allowed Crosby ( a well documented player with multiple concussions) to come back to play in the playoffs just 5 days after yet another concussion this past season.

...Sure the team/league doctors cleared him. If the doctors say you are good to go...then you are good to go.....right? The doctors have been doing that for decades now.
    The doctors don't work for the players, they work for the league/owner. They don't have the players interest at heart. They say they do, but watch their actions.
    The new "protocols" are smoke and mirrors.

I love this sport, but the NHL is down right sinister on the CTE concussion issue.