AAAAAAAAAARGGGHH!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Default Iafallo is everything Kempe isn't

For the last two years, as a Reign STH, I watched a lot of Adrian Kempe.

I watched a lot of Adrian Kempe use his blinding speed and strength to grab pucks and carry them up the ice, stickhandling in a phone booth, blowing through defenses... only to hit the offensive zone, curl up at the blueline... and confusedly turn the puck over or dump it to the wrong corner... then start skating back with a look of pained bewilderment on his face.

The guy just doesn't have the IQ. He doesn't know where to go. He's great at getting the puck, and then just doesn't know what to do with it.

And it's only been three games, but wow, what a breath of fresh air Iafallo has been. Who would have predicted a seemingly random low-tier college UFA could show this much effort and smarts and be the catalyst to get Kopitar and Brown playing great again? I love watching him get after the puck. That first game pass across the ice to Kopitar was really something.

I really think the Kings aught to send Kempe down and sign Laich, who would be much better suited to that third-line role.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1625 Post(s)

I think he needs to play on the wing.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Kempe has been making some REALLY bad decisions out there on the ice. WTF was he thinking cross-checking Tanner Glass into the Flame's goal last night?!? He seems to try too hard with the puck also, and ends up turning it over. Then he tries to muck it up after the play, does he even fight?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Please oh please just say NO to Laich.

Kempe may not be great, but Laich has ZERO upside as far as on ice game.
    Time and the league has passed him by. Kings don't need another washed up guy in the line up.

Purcell, Seto, Iginla, King, Nolan, dare I say the Squid.......all these guys have one thing in common: Father time and a changed game in the league.
    Laich is one of them too. Laich is a problem, not a solution.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)

It's better for Kempe to learn on the job than it is to give minutes to a vet like Cammalleri or Laich. This teams best chances lie in the coming years, not now.

I agree with Bird, play him on the wing with Lewis and Shore. Kempe is still very, very young. Let him cut his teeth on the wing in a role spot.

Iafallo does look very impressive. Everything he does is direct, no second guessing. He is the best Kings winger since Frolov at finding horizontal seams and putting passes directly on the stick in position where the receiver can make a one-touch response. That's how you build speed, economy of movement.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3549 Post(s)

Kempe has always looked most effective when playing with Lewis. Shore or Dowd centering works well enough.

Agree that Iafallo has been this year's best story -- and is the best thing that has happened to Kopi and Brown in 3 seasons.

Bring Chips, That's a 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    236 Post(s)

The problem is that when you are prospect poor, any prospect who looks decent is overvalued. So you tend to hope more than rationally evaluate. I feel the Kings are hoping Kempe becomes something he appears he isn’t.

IMHO he has shown very marginal if not no improvement from year to year and seems to play the same game, speed with no touch, smarts or finish. Like I said before he’s Gene Carr II, without a song being named after him.

Keeper of Dewy's teeth
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)

Kempe tried a blind between his legs pass last night that was incredibly stupid to try. That's a play that a guy who's trying too hard makes or a guy who's hockey IQ needs a lot of sharpening. Since Cliffy will be out for a while, putting Kempe there makes some sense to me. Either that or a trip to Ontario might be in order.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Please oh please just say NO to Laich.

Kempe may not be great, but Laich has ZERO upside as far as on ice game.
    Time and the league has passed him by. Kings don't need another washed up guy in the line up.

Purcell, Seto, Iginla, King, Nolan, dare I say the Squid.......all these guys have one thing in common: Father time and a changed game in the league.
    Laich is one of them too. Laich is a problem, not a solution.
    I feel for poor Teddy. He is developed as a top six winger, pencilled in as a potential top liner. Then the team changed it's focus to a defensive/wall game, changes him to his off wing, and moves him because he is a bad fit for the system.

Then they bring him back to play in be doldrums of the same system, where half the team has quit on the coach. He obviously fits poorly, gets sent down and released, THEN the team switches to the kind of game that suits his skill level.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Kempe doesn't look like he has it to become what is expected of him. All he has is speed but terrible at shooting the puck.