4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man #32 View Post
    I like Brownie a lot, I think we are still paying him for both of the cups ...
    And itís still worth every penny!

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1355 Post(s)

Haha 14 games and people are back on the bandwagon. He'll be off Kopi's line as soon as he stops shooting 15%. He's slowly making his way back to the form of years past.

If he were waived no one would take him. Kyle Turris just got $6M for 6 years.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)

I think Stevens has brought th best out of Brown. Sutter system was hindering him.

True Men Kill Coyotes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post
    Trying to be objective about this team right now is a little tricky. But my feeling is whatever happens with the standings by April, it looks like they're going to have a real good opportunity to remake this team on the fly without having to tank and rebuild.

That's a real unexpected positive, and Brown's resurgence is a huge part of it, and a huge part of why no one saw this coming.

Yes, his performance might make him tradable again, but that contract means you still wouldn't get anything in return that helps you.

So, to answer the question, no I wouldn't personally trade him. I think he makes this team better right now. A lot better. Hopefully that continues long enough that by the time he sucks again there's not so many years left!
    Suddenly the composition of the roster and the salary cap issues don't seem so grim.

1. At the end of the season last year, the only younger player with any real promise seemed to be Kempe, but the emergence or signings of Iafallo, Fantenberg, Folin, Forbort, MacDermid, Amadio, LaDue, Auger, etc. has brought in a new class of younger talent that the Kings desperately needed. If they continue to develop and produce, their lower salaries really help balance the big contracts of Quick, Kopi, Brown, Gaborik, and Carter.

2. In the next two off seasons, Doughty is the only big name that needs a new contract. Kings will need salary relief to sign Doughty or they may be forced to trade him, but the cap situation seems much better now than it did 12 months ago. Its going to be interesting to see how Blake handles this situation, which has a tasty twist of irony given what he went through in his final year before UFA. It doesn't seem impossible at this point that the Kings would be able to re-sign him.

3. Kings have all of their draft picks in the three upcoming years, except for the 2018 7th. This will either help rebuild the system or give Blake more tools to use in trades, which will continue to make the franchise younger, more flexible, and more cap friendly.

As good as Brown is playing, getting his cap space could possibly make the difference between losing or keeping Doughty. You have to ask yourself who you would rather have. You also have to believe that Brown is not going to keep this up for 4 more years. I think this resurgence has everything to do with Sutter's departure. I like Brown a lot and will never forget what he has done for the team, especially how he played in 2012, but he's on the down side of his career at this point.

Keeper of Dewy's teeth
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoMakela View Post
    2. In the next two off seasons, Doughty is the only big name that needs a new contract. Kings will need salary relief to sign Doughty or they may be forced to trade him, but the cap situation seems much better now than it did 12 months ago. Its going to be interesting to see how Blake handles this situation, which has a tasty twist of irony given what he went through in his final year before UFA. It doesn't seem impossible at this point that the Kings would be able to re-sign him.
    No matter the cap, ya just can't trade Doughty. He's the best player in franchise history (Gretzky is of another world) and is right in his prime. In other words, you do whatever you need to do to keep him. Buy out Gabbo, Brown, whomever, but you have to make it happen. And Dewy obviously wants to stay, I mean how many times has he said in the past couple of weeks how much fun he is having?

And you described the scenario of how to succeed in today's NHL. Sign your best players and supplement with quality youngsters. Obviously you need to be careful who you sign to big deals and you have to be outstanding in your drafting. But it can be done.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2722 Post(s)

Are you people serious? He gets hot for a few games at the beginning of the season and he's now untradeable??? I would still trade him for a bag of pucks. Do you really think he's going to keep going at the pace he started this season for the rest of his contract? Or the rest of this season?

Reality check time: In his first seven games, he had 11 points (5G, 6A) and was +11 with 30 SOG and a 16.6 shooting percentage. In the last seven games he has 2 points (1G, 1A) and is a -2 with 15 SOG and a 6.6 shooting percentage. You do know which one is the real Dustin Brown, right?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

^^ This.
    all this and more!!!

....Carter will make a surprise return by Thanksgiving.
    .....Laich will prove he was worthy of the PTO and signing by netting 20 goals.
    ....don't forget kids, sign Doughty at ALL costs!
    .....Staples will debut the McFlurrrrry 2nd period.
    .....Leaners will promptly removed from Staples by the Red Coats.
    ...Andreoff is the real deal!
    .....Kings are gonna trade for Duchene

...ahh the wishful thinking...unicorns and rainbows!

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3062 Post(s)

All I know is 15 years from now I hope Brown is coming to Alumni events so I can buy him a beer. In the meantime I don't think anything's changed with his contract, best hope to get the best mileage out of him you can.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

Laich with 20 goals. I'd settle for 20 Shots.

Why So Serious?
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1148 Post(s)

As a Brown critic on this site for years, heís playing really well and Iím happy to see him get back to form. He was trying to be a player he wasnít and it seems like this year heís getting back to basics and itís paying off.

That being said, his contract is still too high. If we could flip that for more speed and more scoring, I would take it in a heartbeat.