Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudfisher View Post
    It is really hard to judge someone when they have to work with Hayward one game. I think Faust just gave Hayward some room.

I think Faust is doing fine. From listening to him last night, he approached the game as a neutral play by play compared to a teams play by play. Which for a national broadcast you want that from a play-by-play caller. Faust does appear to do some significant research for his game preps as the stuff he inserts do add value to the calls.

Also, Hayward was "ok" yesterday. He was way more complementary of the Kings and their players then in the past.
    There always seems to be a difference depending on which network they are working for. On the NBC broadcasts Hayward does need to be more even handed as was Faust and even Fox has been. It always depends on what the person signing the checks wants.
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Hayward is actually pretty decent when he is on national TV. Back in 2012 Blues/Kings series he was the color commentator for NBC and actually did a good job.
    But the pain and agony in his voice during that series was oh so ...sweet and tastee...

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER View Post
    He sounds and looks like an over educated pretty boy sports announcer trying too hard to say the next perfect line...Kings fans will never take to him the way they did to Bob because Bob loved the Kings as much as he did his career.
    I think part of this is that he's calling a game for TV the way most announcers call games for TV. Bob was a simulcast guy for the most formative part of his career, so he was calling games on TV the same way he called games on radio, describing every second of the action, even though he didn't really need to when he was exclusively on TV. That's what we're all used to, and it will take some time to adjust. If it sounds like he's search for something to say, it's probably because he has a little extra time to say it.

Kings fans will take to him just fine. I think he does a good job despite having an almost impossible act to follow. 20 years from now, if he's still around, he will be the only voice that a lot of Kings fans have ever heard, and they may feel the same way about him as we all feel about Bob. I admit that I was concerned about how much I was going to enjoy this season without Bob calling the games, but personally, while I miss Bob a lot, I'm having just as much fun watching this team.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STONE View Post
    Ha! He's pretty damn good. His Collegiate broadcasts sounded awesome too, which these are starting to sound like. Just curious, how does one LOOK overeducated?
    His look is of pretty boy.

Sounds like an over educated broadcaster in always trying to come up with a perfect next line instead of just flowing with the game and not over expressing the play.

Ha! Reading comprehension 101.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKingFan View Post
    I think part of this is that he's calling a game for TV the way most announcers call games for TV. Bob was a simulcast guy for the most formative part of his career, so he was calling games on TV the same way he called games on radio, describing every second of the action, even though he didn't really need to when he was exclusively on TV. That's what we're all used to, and it will take some time to adjust. If it sounds like he's search for something to say, it's probably because he has a little extra time to say it.

Kings fans will take to him just fine. I think he does a good job despite having an almost impossible act to follow. 20 years from now, if he's still around, he will be the only voice that a lot of Kings fans have ever heard, and they may feel the same way about him as we all feel about Bob. I admit that I was concerned about how much I was going to enjoy this season without Bob calling the games, but personally, while I miss Bob a lot, I'm having just as much fun watching this team.
    That's fair.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Faust is doing just fine. Nobody can be "Bob"....but don't act like this is akin to the change from David Courtney to Dave Joseph. That was/is an abomination.

Faust will only get better.

Dave Joseph is a train wreck.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    He's doing fine and over time will only get better.

I'm happy the Kings found a suitable replacement for Bob, unlike David Courtney.
    This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

I know its still early, but I don't think I will ever really accept and crave listening to a Kings game being called by Faust the way I did with Bob Miller. There is nothing unique about his voice or his call, the guy has no character and is text book generic national broadcast material.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2737 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudfisher View Post
    Also, Hayward was "ok" yesterday. He was way more complementary of the Kings and their players then in the past.
    Hayward is a decent color guy and I would rate him better than "OK" when not doing Anaheim broadcasts. I've heard him do national games many times and I actually like him when he does those. When doing Anaheim broadcasts, however, his homerism is so off the charts blatant, and often results in making comments which are obviously wrong, that he is impossible to listen to and the primary reason Anaheim broadcasts are usually ranked last in the NHL. I don't know why he feels it necessary to do that, obviously he is capable of not doing it. Is he told to?

And I like Faust. He's solid now and he's only going to get better. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves the Kings for a national gig in the not-too-distant future.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)

Faust is doing fine. Bob Miller is a Hall of Famer, Alex is just getting started . Give him a chance.