We Are All Champions x2!!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenhole View Post
    He called Mike Green... Matt Green twice last night. Threw me into the bizzaro world. I hope he is just trying to hard and will settle into an even keeled PbP guy that doesn't feel the need to turn up his voice 100db every time something happens.
    He makes me think important things are happening when I have to pee in the middle of play. Not cool man...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssa42 View Post
    Haven't watched a TV game for awhile, and I thought Faust was a lot better last night. He took a few moments to breathe, and he let Jim get a few words in edgewise while the play was going on instead of making him wait for a break.

Also seemed to be fewer "Faustisms". I've liked him all along, though. My only complaint was that he was just "narrating" too much in the beginning. I like the Canadian announcers who sometimes just let you watch the play and don't feel the need to tell you every detail of what you can see is happening in front of your face. (and, they assume you know the rules of hockey!)
    hahahahahaha, I'm sorry,but this is just toooo funny

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

For all of you guys who are complaining about Faust's announcing, are you watching the Kings/Blackhawks game. Dude!!! I feel for the poor Hawks fans who have to listen to this guy!!! He's terrible!!!

Two-way grinding forward
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I'll throw in my two cents on Alex Faust. He does a generally good job but he's in the unfortunate position of being the guy after Bob Miller, kind of like the guys after Lou Gehrig or the guy after Steve Garvey or whatever. I can tolerate him because he's calling the Kings but I really don't like the style of play-by-play callers who use lots and lots and, oh, just oodles of metaphors. Bob Miller called it straight all the time and only used metaphors rarely. Faust uses them often:

- referring to the crease as the "blue paint"
    - a player loses an edge, Faust says he "blew out a tire"
    - player goes to the box, I've heard Faust paraphrase "Slap Shot" by saying "he'll sit out two minutes in shame" or "he's going to the sin bin"

On and on it goes. Just not a fan of too many metaphors. I suspect it was the Fox Sports management who picked him, probably with little input from Miller or Fox themselves, based on market research. I watch lots of games in other markets by way of NHL.tv and I've noticed that Fox Sports seems to have that pattern. FS-Ohio (Blue Jackets) and FS-Midwest (Blues) both have that type of play-by-play.

Driver, Assload Wagon
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    448 Post(s)

I like him. As the two guys in the booth become more comfortable they'll be smoother and give each other enough room to develop a conversational style.

Thank God it's not Jeanneret; that guy calling a car backing down the driveway would make it sound like a demolition derby.

Starting Keeper
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrinderCB View Post
    Bob Miller called it straight all the time and only used metaphors rarely. Faust uses them often:

- referring to the crease as the "blue paint"
    - a player loses an edge, Faust says he "blew out a tire"
    - player goes to the box, I've heard Faust paraphrase "Slap Shot" by saying "he'll sit out two minutes in shame" or "he's going to the sin bin"

On and on it goes. Just not a fan of too many metaphors. I suspect it was the Fox Sports management who picked him, probably with little input from Miller or Fox themselves, based on market research. I watch lots of games in other markets by way of NHL.tv and I've noticed that Fox Sports seems to have that pattern. FS-Ohio (Blue Jackets) and FS-Midwest (Blues) both have that type of play-by-play.
    Funny you say that, I watched the last couple Dallas Stars games and Reaugh who used to be the color commentator now play by play guy uses all sorts of metaphors (Fox Sports channel as well). I think a lot of it has to do with getting used to a new voice after Bob that seems to rub some the wrong way, but I have to say listening to Darryl Reaugh and Craig Ludwig is like listening to a couple of friends watching the game. Reaugh lets the game breathe a bit which is what I think Faust will eventually let happen once he gets more comfortable.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

When Brown broke his twig early tonight...I've had enough. Switched to radio and muted the tv. Trying to be patient with Faust, he will get better I hope. Need a break from him for now

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3550 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    When Brown broke his twig early tonight...I've had enough. Switched to radio and muted the tv. Trying to be patient with Faust, he will get better I hope. Need a break from him for now
    Calling a pass off the boards an "indirect pass" is wearing thin on me. Quite often using the boards is the most direct route. If it caroms correctly to the intended guy, it's direct.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)

You don't know how refreshing it is to watch the opposing teams color commentary! Not only do I get local flavor, I don't have to hear Faust's stupid idioms or Foxes' captain obvious encapsulations.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    I know what you mean. I about lost it when the Kings regathered their dispossessed pinball, and it didn't miss by much.