Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
    Unfortunately, no team would trade for his contract even if we threw in our our own multiple 2nd rounders
    You could probably trade him for picks and hold on to some of the cap hit.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Curious to see what Mr. Blake does in this situation. Without being disrespectful, Jeff did play last season like he was trying to be traded. In the shrewdest of senses: If not now (read: healed), when? Buy a big red bow, tie it low around his hipbone, have him flash a smile and trade that 32 year old pretty boy to someone trying to sell tickets. You want a youth movement...commit.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudfisher View Post
    You could probably trade him for picks and hold on to some of the cap hit.

No team is giving one second rounder, let alone two, even with some of his salary staying on the books.

When the Kings got him--three years and multiple long term injuries ago--they only had to part with Matt f*&king Frattin and conditional picks, one being *potentially* a second rounder.

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.L.Jackson View Post
    No team is giving one second rounder, let alone two, even with some of his salary staying on the books.

When the Kings got him--three years and multiple long term injuries ago--they only had to part with Matt f*&king Frattin and conditional picks, one being *potentially* a second rounder.
    Have faith...The league is full of GMs who need to do something to win or risk losing their job.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2714 Post(s)

I agree. I don't think you do it this season if the Kings are in playoff contention at the trade deadline, unless it is a hockey deal, which would be very unlikely. After the season? Yes, I would do it. Always better to trade a guy too early than too late. Even if it means strength up the middle is downgraded for a time. It's going to get downgraded anyway as he gets older.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

Get rid of gaborik, not Carter.

Go in the other direction and try to build a scoring 3rd line. Once healthy, I'd like them to try Cammy/Carts/Gabby

If it is deemed that Gaborik has some hockey in him still, trade him. Otherwise it will be a buyout next summer for him.

They need to keep Carter and build a 3rd scoring line with Brodzinski and whoever on LW. Villardi is also not a lock given the injury and he could also be a RW.

Carter is very versatile. He's the guy you keep

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Look, Greg I'm not above drinking in the morning but key-rist man, no one, ever will pick up Marian or Dustin. And the Mike, Jeff, Marian line will be dubbed the AARP line. *lols*

Fifteen games deep and you guys are talking about the ramifications of his presence in the playoffs? Painting with a broad brush you'd rather keep Jeff for (potentially/myopically ) one round of the playoffs then trade a 32 year old who will be out for most of the season and then try and get a quality return at the end of the season (at 33 yrs) when the market is flooded? Seems unnecessary.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2714 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg33 View Post
    Get rid of gaborik, not Carter.
    You can't get rid of Gaborik. That's the whole problem. Can't trade him and can't buy him out. This wouldn't be an issue if the Kings weren't saddled with untradeable contracts in Brown and Gaborik.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2714 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Look, Greg I'm not above drinking in the morning but key-rist man, no one, ever will pick up Marian or Dustin. And the Mike, Jeff, Marian line will be dubbed the AARP line. *lols*

Fifteen games deep and you guys are talking about the ramifications of his presence in the playoffs? Painting with a broad brush you'd rather keep Jeff for (potentially/myopically ) one round of the playoffs then trade a 32 year old who will be out for most of the season and then try and get a quality return at the end of the season (at 33 yrs) when the market is flooded? Seems unnecessary.
    You can't trade Carter now. First, I don't think NHL rules allow for a player on IR to be traded, period. Second, even if he could be traded his value would be so low as to not make it worth trading him. He's 32 years old, he has a rather nasty injury. Who the hell knows if he's going to come back at 100%? There's also the possibility, however small, that complications will arise and he won't be able to come back at all. You think any GM would want to take a chance on having to explain to his owner why he traded good assets for a player who will never put on his team's jersey?

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    You can't trade Carter now. First, I don't think NHL rules allow for a player on IR to be traded, period. Second, even if he could be traded his value would be so low as to not make it worth trading him. He's 32 years old, he has a rather nasty injury. Who the hell knows if he's going to come back at 100%? There's also the possibility, however small, that complications will arise and he won't be able to come back at all. You think any GM would want to take a chance on having to explain to his owner why he traded good assets for a player who will never put on his team's jersey?
    Yes, yes I know all of that (believe I mentioned when Carter was healthy in my first post) just trying to get a bead on why the board is so opposed to this trade option at the deadline (all things being perfect with Jeff). More curiosity than cantankerousness.