Thread: Dare I say it...

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Pretty much everything has been clicking for nearly everyone on the team this season, so far.
    Even with injuries, the team continues to excel.

It is a fair assumption that under this system Gaborik will see an uptick in his game as well.

If the team is still firing away on all cylinders when Carter comes back, and the team nears the trade deadline, there is NO way Blake moves Gaborik or Carter.

- If it not broken, no need to fix it.
    - Gaborik even an improved Gaborik is still untrade-able. However, an improved Gaborik may be more akin to world cup Gaborik, and that would be quite nice.
    - Carter has a decent contract for what he produces, trading him at the deadline when the team is looking good would be a fools errand.

Think for a moment: Blake's job is to win Stanley Cup(s)

Blake's job is not to sign Doughty at any/all costs, and in doing so forgo the short term possibilities of winning said Cup.
    If the Kings are in contention, Blake is going to make moves he thinks will win a Cup, not a "hockey" move that sets himself up for the future at the expense of a Cup today.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2722 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Yes, yes I know all of that (believe I mentioned when Carter was healthy in my first post) just trying to get a bead on why the board is so opposed to this trade option at the deadline (all things being perfect with Jeff). More curiosity than cantankerousness.
    Part of it is just people being in love with players, logic be damned. Part of it is that this team is clicking right now and people are thinking that adding a player of Carter's caliber around the deadline will make the Kings a real threat in the playoffs, and not just for one round. If things continue as they are, or anywhere close, the Kings could be a serious Cup contender. You don't get many chances to pick one up so you don't trade one of your best players if you have a real shot at it. If the Kings are in the thick of it when he returns, I would be against trading him.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)

You can trade anyone...you might not get anything good in return, but all contracts , I believe are tradeable. I mean if Gaborik is that unimportant to LA and they don't like being saddled with his contract, you could probably send him to a team WAY under the cap who can use him for a little bit of punch, but you might have to accept a 6th or 7th round pick.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eskymi View Post
    You can trade anyone...you might not get anything good in return, but all contracts , I believe are tradeable. I mean if Gaborik is that unimportant to LA and they don't like being saddled with his contract, you could probably send him to a team WAY under the cap who can use him for a little bit of punch, but you might have to accept a 6th or 7th round pick.
    Nope. Untrue. With a hard cap, some contracts are in fact un-tradable. If the Kings could they would buy out some players, but the CBA makes that pretty much cap hell prohibitive long-term.......but..........you are saying that a team would take them off the Kings hands (for no money) and return a 7th round pick in return?!?!?!

Do the Kings get a jetpack and stable full of unicorns as well?

All joking aside, you don't think the Kings tried to do that with Richards, perhaps Brown and or Gaborik over the past few seasons? If it were that easy, Richards would have been gone long before he made the contract violation. Deano would have never had to make the non-buyout decision on Richards.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    541 Post(s)

Brown is on pace to score 82 points and only has 4 seasons left on his contract. Someone may actually bite on that bait.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2722 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eskymi View Post
    You can trade anyone...you might not get anything good in return, but all contracts , I believe are tradeable.
    You've never heard of a player passing through waivers?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    You've never heard of a player passing through waivers?
    Well, when putting a player on waivers you can't put a sign on him saying "if you claim my sorry ass you'll also get a 1st and a 2nd rounder in the upcoming draft and 1 million of my salary will be retained!". I think he's correct in that all contracts are tradeable, the question really is at what cost.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    891 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Pretty much everything has been clicking for nearly everyone on the team this season, so far.
    Even with injuries, the team continues to excel.

It is a fair assumption that under this system Gaborik will see an uptick in his game as well.

If the team is still firing away on all cylinders when Carter comes back, and the team nears the trade deadline, there is NO way Blake moves Gaborik or Carter.

- If it not broken, no need to fix it.
    - Gaborik even an improved Gaborik is still untrade-able. However, an improved Gaborik may be more akin to world cup Gaborik, and that would be quite nice.
    - Carter has a decent contract for what he produces, trading him at the deadline when the team is looking good would be a fools errand.

Think for a moment: Blake's job is to win Stanley Cup(s)

Blake's job is not to sign Doughty at any/all costs, and in doing so forgo the short term possibilities of winning said Cup.
    If the Kings are in contention, Blake is going to make moves he thinks will win a Cup, not a "hockey" move that sets himself up for the future at the expense of a Cup today.
    And nothing incentivizes Doughty to stay like trading our #2 center who was an all-star the year before. Drew spoke the truth-- he wants to play for a winner. He is going to get paid no matter what. He just isn't going to sign with a crap team in hopes of getting an extra million. He's a winner, not a merc.

Blake's job is to put together the best roster that he can. Everything he has done since being named GM has been the right move. I think you are selling him short making him out to be myopic and solely Cup focused in 2018.

Brown could likely be traded today. Hopefully Stevens can work a miracle on Gaborik but I don't see it happening. It doesn't seem like the team is any sort of rush to get him back. Maybe he can get that rash from Hossa.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I have been saying for years they need to blow it up and rebuild. Carter, Doughty need to go. They have the most value. You should be able to completely stock up in those two.

I donít think you will find takers for Brown, Kopi or Gabo. Maybe Kopi.

Heck... we should have gotten something for JW.

I am enjoying this year but if we donít full tank and rebuild then ... weíll you get the point.

We should have 3-4 first round picks next year.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

First, none of these trades would/could happen until the offseason. There already isn't enough time to showcase what Gaborik might have for this season's trade deadline. Also true, Blake wouldn't mess with what we have if things are still going well. As of right now, I don't think they will add anything- but that's a long ways away.

Gaborik to Arizona, where all bad contracts go to die. THEY can buy him out.

Peeps, look up Dave Bolland. Not only how his case could pertain to Gaborik, but to also say a prayer for Jeff Carter.