Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

Lightbulb Dare I say it...

It may be time to trade Carter.

Look, I don't want to do it either, but there are a couple of reasons it may be the best/only option.

I mean, if Gabby and/or Brown can't be moved, there needs to be some $$$ off the books for Doughty. Plus, I think Carter would bring us some really high picks and/or really good young players/prospects that we'd NEVER get for Gabby or Brown. I'm not saying do it as soon as he gets back, but probably by the 2018 draft. Again, my first choice would be for Brown and Gabby to have great bounce back seasons, and garner interest and then trades, but in the very likely scenario that this doesn't happen, Carter is the best option.

I'm against doing it right away, because we all know our beloved Kings will cool down at some point, and Carter could very well be the guy to start them up again. But at season's end, there needs to be conversations.

With the young D-men coming along fairly well, I also expect either Martinez or Muzzin to be gone by the draft as well.

I know these things would hurt many of us, but for the long term, it would be highly beneficial IMHO.

it's camping season!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)

I would be against it. Simply because if you trade him and one of Kopitar or Kempe go down we would be very light up the middle. Speaking of Kempe, yes he is doing great but he is a rookie with no playoff experience. Plus I would wait and see how he responds to the rigors of an 82 game season.

Carter is a proven veteran with a history of consistency. That has value. Patience my young Jedi, patience.

What can Brown do for you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I like your thinking outside the box, still wouldn't do it though. When he's on Carter is just money.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I'd wait until well into next season. Sure, he's not getting any younger, but I really would like to see how Kempe and (presumably) Amadio handle the center duties for a (long) while. If Blake trades Carter at the end of this season and Kempe hits a sophomore slump and Amadio doesn't progress as we'd hope he does, the Kings end up with a 1-punch instead of a 1-2 or 1-2-3 punch at center. Which is bad. No amount of well performing Gaborik or Brown would be able to fill that void.

I know there's Vilardi, too, but banking on him stepping up and delivering immediately would be incredibly foolish unless he maybe lights up the OHL on fire entirely and looks super ready. Speaking of - what's his injury status? He's now been out for quite a while.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    541 Post(s)

Why do you think the Kings will cool down?

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1602 Post(s)

You can't trade him if the Kings are in contending, it sort of goes against everything the team has said they're trying to do.

what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1072 Post(s)

Yeah, no.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

When Carter comes back Shore/Dowd will be Skyboxing.

I think when Gabo comes back I would try to trade him as it would be the last opportunity. I'd trade Gabo for picks, multiple 2nd rounders, and not a roster filling player.

The way the team is playing right now its hard to slot Carter back into a spot. The only player(s) who would lose there spot would be Shore or Amadio at the moment.

I lost my password
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Doughty is going to get paid. $12-$13 million AAV is possible. Maybe you're trading the wrong player?

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudfisher View Post
    I'd trade Gabo for picks, multiple 2nd rounders, and not a roster filling player.
    Unfortunately, no team would trade for his contract even if we threw in our our own multiple 2nd rounders