Thread: Video reviews

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

The inconsistency is very apparent when just looking at the last two games. Perry purposefully kicked out his leg to interfere with Quick and prevent him from moving. No interference. Last night a scrum on a secondary shot when the goalie was already down just outside the crease. No goal - interference. I just don't understand what they are seeing to make the ruling they do.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

The Kings have lost most of their challenges. Some arenít even close. But they do it because, why not? And that time spent reviewing kills the other teams momentum and letís the Kings regroup. Not a bad loss.

devenir gris
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    It doesn't help that the staff's philosophy on challenges appears to be "F*** it. Let's have them take a look."
    this.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4190 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hrudey92 View Post
    The Kings have lost most of their challenges. Some aren’t even close. But they do it because, why not? And that time spent reviewing kills the other teams momentum and let’s the Kings regroup. Not a bad loss.
    That's exactly why I think any kind of video review should be banned from all sports. It's a game played by humans, it should officiated by them as well.

Being on the wrong end of a bad call is part of life that builds resiliency and character. It adds to the emotional element of the game for both the players and the fans. And that's why we are invested in the game, for the passionate drama.

I HATE what the NHL is becoming. It's video game hockey. Most of the points of contention are being removed from the game. There is less and less physical conflict every season, fewer board battles, less aggression, less anger, less of everything except generations of kids who are getting faster and more skilled with the puck.

That's not a bad thing, but it was that application of skill that survived the physicality and battle that made.the game so much more intriguing. The NBA is unwatchable now, and the NHL is taking the same steps to turn their game into their version of posterization that takes all the fun out after a few years of flashy skill on parade.

The modern game bores the hell out of me. I have only watched four full games this year, and a lot of that of that is because of the non-stop questioning of calls that brings the game to a stand still.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    That's exactly why I think any kind of video review should be banned from all sports. It's a game played by humans, it should officiated by them as well.

Being on the wrong end of a bad call is part of life that builds resiliency and character. It adds to the emotional element of the game for both the players and the fans. And that's why we are invested in the game, for the passionate drama.

I HATE what the NHL is becoming. It's video game hockey. Most of the points of contention are being removed from the game. There is less and less physical conflict every season, fewer board battles, less aggression, less anger, less of everything except generations of kids who are getting faster and more skilled with the puck.

That's not a bad thing, but it was that application of skill that survived the physicality and battle that made.the game so much more intriguing. The NBA is unwatchable now, and the NHL is taking the same steps to turn their game into their version of posterization that takes all the fun out after a few years of flashy skill on parade.

The modern game bores the hell out of me. I have only watched four full games this year, and a lot of that of that is because of the non-stop questioning of calls that brings the game to a stand still.
    Tiger Williams called. He wants to have a drink with you.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4190 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingrussell View Post
    Tiger Williams called. He wants to have a drink with you.
    Hell, there isn't much place for the Justin Williams' in today's game, much less Tiger Williams'.

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1639 Post(s)

If it wasn't for video review, I would be sitting in jail right now.

WIFT-WIF ME-WIF U-WIF US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

5 failed challenges.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post

Sorry, but video review does work; albeit in the right circumstances. The game moves so fast, and the players handle themselves with such precision that the human eye can miss objective analysis; i.e. offsides, goal/no-goal, or a puck hitting the protective netting in Detroit bouncing off Jonathan Quick's back and into his net...

Goaltender interference is the exception because it does not require an objective analysis. In this case, video review is trying to discern whether the attacking player "initiates deliberate or intentional contact with the goalkeeper" (Rule 69.1). That is not an objective analysis, and slowing down the video footage can mask the several things going on with the play at that time. As a result, video review of goaltender interference calls are not assisting the referees in discerning whether contact is (a) initiated by the attacking player, and (b) whether that initiation is deliberate or intentional.

And the NBA has been unwatchable for years simply because of the drama-filled egomaniacs that play the sport.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xcheck View Post
    Sorry, but video review does work; albeit in the right circumstances. The game moves so fast, and the players handle themselves with such precision that the human eye can miss objective analysis; i.e. offsides, goal/no-goal, or a puck hitting the protective netting in Detroit bouncing off Jonathan Quick's back and into his net...

Goaltender interference is the exception because it does not require an objective analysis. In this case, video review is trying to discern whether the attacking player "initiates deliberate or intentional contact with the goalkeeper" (Rule 69.1). That is not an objective analysis, and slowing down the video footage can mask the several things going on with the play at that time. As a result, video review of goaltender interference calls are not assisting the referees in discerning whether contact is (a) initiated by the attacking player, and (b) whether that initiation is deliberate or intentional.

And the NBA has been unwatchable for years simply because of the drama-filled egomaniacs that play the sport.
    The NHL is completely incapable of implementing a fair system or even a system that could function as intended. So, while you may make a fair case for video review in the great sport of hockey...

I'd rather just not have it or the coach's challenge at all then to see the NHL screw this game over and over and over again.

The refs with the tablets are a joke. These guys aren't trained to interpret what is happening in video review, they are trained to make calls on the ice in real time. Jim Fox, as an analyst and a person who watches video as part of his full time job was able to make the case for one of the challenges. He was able to demonstrate what was happening when player "X" was trying to go in 1 direction and Quick was trying to go in the other. The refs on the ice simply don't know what to look for.

Doesn't matter. It will NEVER be fixed. Just as soon not have it at all. They can't do it right.

They haven't done it right since BEFORE Brett Hull's toe was in the crease. Remember that fiasco?