1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Default The Pruno Thread

Has any one here tried making it? Or tasting it?

For those who don't know, pruno is wine made in prison. They take fruit (usually fruit cocktail), juice, sugar (candies or even some ketchup), and yeast (usually mashed up bread, also raisins). It's all based on what they can get. They put everything in a plastic bag, warm it up under hot running water, wrap it in a blanket to keep warm, and keep it hidden for 3 days to ferment, usually in their toilet. During that time they burp the air out of the bag every few hours & occasionally warm it up again under water. And also keep it hidden from the guards. Then when it's ready they filter it through a clean sock and drink it.

So yeah I made it. I used chopped Kiwi fruit, 1 can fruit cocktail in sugar juice, 20oz Grape juice, 1 cup sugar, & a pack of instant yeast. I warmed everything up to between 105-115 degrees, added the yeast, & poured it into a gallon zipper bag. Then I wrapped it in a thick towel, put it in a disposable cooking tray, & kept it outside. For 3 days I kept burping it every few hours. Then I filtered it through a coffee filter and drank it. Oh God, it was pure nastiness. It was a combination of sweet & medicine like. I took about 5 sips before I threw it out. The good thing is I didn't get sick or die from botulism, which is a possibility.

To answer other questions, no I've never been to prison. I haven't made myself a tattoo. I haven't made a shiv out of a plastic spoon. And my sex life is 100% consensual. I've just been fascinated by the idea of making a low-tech alcohol.

So has anyone tried it? Is there a combination of ingredients that works? Or is it all going to taste like butt? If I ever made it again, one thing I would do is just use cheesecloth to just filter the big pieces faster & then freeze it. Then I'd just pour out the alcohol which doesn't freeze. Or I could just buy a beer making kit.

basically honorary nasty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

Hell yes.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

I don't have much to contribute to this but I would assume a lot of whether you get something palatable or drano would be chalked up to the type of yeast used.

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    714 Post(s)

I've never been locked up, but am related to or know a few people who have been, and I've discussed this with them and others over the years. The common themes that came out of all of those chats were:

--There is no "good" pruno. It's made to feed an addiction, scratch an itch, as a source of income and/or to escape a reality you don't want to deal with. It's a means to an end, and there is no Dom Perignon or Lafite-Rothschild. Hell, there's not even two buck Chuck. It's a step shy of poison in the best scenario, and there is no sipping. You gulp it, as it usually tastes like a mix of malt liquor, cheap wine and vomit.

-- Every person I've talked to that's tried it said that at best, you get the worst headache/hangover of your life. At worst, it'll be the infirmary or morgue.

I'd recommend against trying it again, as it can be playing with fire. Stick to making more legitimate (and safe) adult beverages with stuff from the home brew stores. Hell, you can even up the ante and get a still off Amazon.
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krussadams View Post
    I've never been locked up, but am related to or know a few people who have been, and I've discussed this with them and others over the years. The common themes that came out of all of those chats were:

--There is no "good" pruno. It's made to feed an addiction, scratch an itch, as a source of income and/or to escape a reality you don't want to deal with. It's a means to an end, and there is no Dom Perignon or Lafite-Rothschild. Hell, there's not even two buck Chuck. It's a step shy of poison in the best scenario, and there is no sipping. You gulp it, as it usually tastes like a mix of malt liquor, cheap wine and vomit.

-- Every person I've talked to that's tried it said that at best, you get the worst headache/hangover of your life. At worst, it'll be the infirmary or morgue.

I'd recommend against trying it again, as it can be playing with fire. Stick to making more legitimate (and safe) adult beverages with stuff from the home brew stores. Hell, you can even up the ante and get a still off Amazon.
    I pretty much figured that "means of escape" and "way to make money in prison" are the main reasons for making this stuff.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3060 Post(s)

I'd love to see a marketing team float "Sprung from the ingenuity of Prisoners" as a campaign

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    714 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I'd love to see a marketing team float "Sprung from the ingenuity of Prisoners" as a campaign
    "Sprung from the asses of prisoners" did NOT work, so I definitely think you're on to something there.
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

Registered Redophile
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    496 Post(s)

This episode of Porridge shows an example of this wine...