Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3010 Post(s)

Default "I have no idea how to tell this horror story"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ncussions.html

Stephen played for the Washington Capitals, for 4 years, one time had 13 fights in 12 games, bare knuckle fights with big guys, some who are already dead now due to concussion related injuries. Yet, here we are, trying to put Stephen in jail because no one has any idea what to do with him. Yes, my brothers and I have asked for a no contact order, as we are concerned for our safety, but at the same time, we love him, and fear every phone call we get, it is someone to tell us he has died.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

It's difficult to remain overtly diplomatic or empathetic without being a bit naive on this topic. I watch the sport, consume the product and therefore I am part of the problem. But it is also difficult not to state the lack of foresight on the part of the Stephens of the world. Poor man.

What’s the pro-active solution to the enforcer concussions issue? The easiest answer is the hardest for me to process. A world without enforcers?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3296 Post(s)

No matter what, theres going to be a lost generation between the rule changes and reduction in horror stories. At that there's no guarantee that its only the fighting that leads to this, those are just the most obvious cases with an easy finger to point. Mike Ribero has call kinds of issues and nobody is blaming it on bare fisted fights.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

Fair point Jammer. The only way our hands are clean is if we just buy long scarves and start cheering for Leeds, right?

Pfft. I'm going to die with blood on my hands.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3010 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    No matter what, theres going to be a lost generation between the rule changes and reduction in horror stories. At that there's no guarantee that its only the fighting that leads to this, those are just the most obvious cases with an easy finger to point. Mike Ribero has call kinds of issues and nobody is blaming it on bare fisted fights.
    Of course it's not just fighting, look at football - no fighting, and an epidemic of these problems. Any contact sport is going to have these issues and they could never be completely eliminated. But these problems are way, way more prevalent among guys who are fighters. I mean you don't need to be a brain surgeon to understand that large men hitting you in the head repeatedly is probably not good for you.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3010 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Fair point Jammer. The only way our hands are clean is if we just buy long scarves and start cheering for Leeds, right?

Umm...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e1923a26359d

https://www.voanews.com/a/soccer-pla...y/3729947.html

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/03...city-roy-keane

I grew a Fatmanchu.
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    216 Post(s)

Anyone want to get the real perspective from an enforcer watch Ice Guardian on Netflix. Parros/Westgarth and the rest of the crew bring up examples where they claim they never had concussions from fighting but from high speed hits and people using elbow and shoulder pads as weapons.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Parros must not remember this.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Of course it's not just fighting, look at football - no fighting, and an epidemic of these problems. Any contact sport is going to have these issues and they could never be completely eliminated. But these problems are way, way more prevalent among guys who are fighters. I mean you don't need to be a brain surgeon to understand that large men hitting you in the head repeatedly is probably not good for you.
    Concentrating on fighting in the game as a liability issue probably isn't going to get traction from the ownership side. Concentrating on it as redundant probably will in an effort to eliminate it.