Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Suggestions for Road Trip to San Jose?

  1. #1
    I need a new Avatar :-)
    Dude's Avatar
    Karma: 1008000
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Default Suggestions for Road Trip to San Jose?

    Have any LGKers gone to a Kings game in San Jose? Any suggestions on how to get decent tickets at a good price? Want to surprise my brother for a Christmas road trip for the game on the 23rd and would love some tips or suggestions. Thanks!

  2. #2
    friend to animals
    Cheez-It's Avatar
    Karma: 1057000
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

    Default

    Best tip i can offer, don't go. San Jose sucks. It's an upscale Sacramento which is like trying to polish a terd. I'm not a SoCal person against the NorCal crowd. But have you ever heard of someone saying, "Man, we need to go back to San Jose. So much to do." Just sayin. I've been to the old Sharks area which was whatever. Haven'y been to the SAP center yet.

    Now on the the other hand, San Francisco is amazing. Especially for the food. Do go there if you have the money and time.

    If you still wanna go to the Sharks game, I'd suggest you do some wine tasting up along the coast and end it with the Sharks game. Great scenery, wine, food..... all to cap it off at the Double Tree in San Jose. Don't forget your free complementary cookie.

  3. #3
    Super Sexy
    Birdman's Avatar
    Karma: 828692640
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,041
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1624 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Have any LGKers gone to a Kings game in San Jose? Any suggestions on how to get decent tickets at a good price? Want to surprise my brother for a Christmas road trip for the game on the 23rd and would love some tips or suggestions. Thanks!
    I do Stubhub when I head up there, but that's just me. I also stay at the Sheraton mostly because I'm usually burning points.

    We also pre and postgame at The Old Wagon Saloon. Parking right there fairly cheap, and its a short walk to the arena.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

    ---gescom

  4. #4
    Plaid to the Bone
    Drunken's Avatar
    Karma: 1179000
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,192
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

    Default

    Lots of good food/beer near the arena in San Pedro Square. The building is small and has a low roof, so it gets pretty loud. Fans have an inferiority complex and can be problematic. Credit to them for their passion, but the douche level can be off the charts, most especially if their team wins. If you really want to troll them, wear a 23 Brown sweater. Funniest thing for me is how, at every game, someone will go out of their way to tell me how much they hate the Dodgers. Like I care?

  5. #5
    Leaners FTL.
    Cup4TheKings's Avatar
    Karma: 1624002
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    512 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheez-It View Post
    Best tip i can offer, don't go. San Jose sucks. It's an upscale Sacramento which is like trying to polish a terd. I'm not a SoCal person against the NorCal crowd. But have you ever heard of someone saying, "Man, we need to go back to San Jose. So much to do." Just sayin. I've been to the old Sharks area which was whatever. Haven'y been to the SAP center yet.

    Now on the the other hand, San Francisco is amazing. Especially for the food. Do go there if you have the money and time.

    If you still wanna go to the Sharks game, I'd suggest you do some wine tasting up along the coast and end it with the Sharks game. Great scenery, wine, food..... all to cap it off at the Double Tree in San Jose. Don't forget your free complementary cookie.
    I lol'd at your polish statement. If the SAP center is the same as the HP Pavilion, I took the train there from where I was temporarily stationed in Mountain View. The train that drops you off across the street from the arena also takes you to Berkeley/Oakland/SF for a really cheap price, so it's not like you're stuck in San Jose

    FWIW, going to a Sharks game is expensive period, but the pre-christmas game is going to be really expensive. I'd save my money

  6. #6
    All Star
    salami's Avatar
    Karma: 1157072
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)

    Default

    I live 20 miles from SJ, and I won’t go to Kings games (or any other hockey games) there. Bay Area fans are the worst of the worst. Last time I was there, a little worm behind me called security on my 82 year old mom for leaning. She was sitting up to see over the people in front of her (who were actually leaning), but because we were wearing Kings gear, we got the attention. Perhaps it didn’t help when I told him to go find a phone book to sit on.
    Anyway, it’s a lousy arena (amenities are fine, but it is strangely poor for watching hockey), it’s extremely expensive for what it is, and the fans are obnoxious, yet passive-aggressive *******s. Whether 49ers, Giants, A’s or Raiders fans, they’re all *******s.
    After three experiences, with each having me wondering why I spent the money to not have fun, I decided not to go back.

  7. #7
    The bars suck in jail
    mervaldez's Avatar
    Karma: 2059011000
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,912
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)

    Default

    Henry's Hi-Life is a classic pre-gamer.

  8. #8
    Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Trapper9's Avatar
    Karma: 2936500
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I do Stubhub when I head up there, but that's just me. I also stay at the Sheraton mostly because I'm usually burning points.

    We also pre and postgame at The Old Wagon Saloon. Parking right there fairly cheap, and its a short walk to the arena.
    Hey Birdman, that time I met up with you at the Old Wagon Saloon, We went back after the game and they wanted us King's fans to take our jersey off to go in. I refused and went elsewhere. Will never go there again.

  9. #9
    Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Trapper9's Avatar
    Karma: 2936500
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    I live 20 miles from SJ, and I won’t go to Kings games (or any other hockey games) there. Bay Area fans are the worst of the worst. Last time I was there, a little worm behind me called security on my 82 year old mom for leaning. She was sitting up to see over the people in front of her (who were actually leaning), but because we were wearing Kings gear, we got the attention. Perhaps it didn’t help when I told him to go find a phone book to sit on.
    Anyway, it’s a lousy arena (amenities are fine, but it is strangely poor for watching hockey), it’s extremely expensive for what it is, and the fans are obnoxious, yet passive-aggressive *******s. Whether 49ers, Giants, A’s or Raiders fans, they’re all *******s.
    After three experiences, with each having me wondering why I spent the money to not have fun, I decided not to go back.
    we sat front row on the glass and they complained about us leaning.

  10. #10
    1st Scoring Line
    Dr. Tran's Avatar
    Karma: 1493212
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,811
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Have any LGKers gone to a Kings game in San Jose? Any suggestions on how to get decent tickets at a good price? Want to surprise my brother for a Christmas road trip for the game on the 23rd and would love some tips or suggestions. Thanks!
    My advice would be to stay in San Francisco for a few days & drive to the game. There's nothing at all interesting about San Jose. And yes, the Sharks fans can be class A douchebags. But that would make a Kings win that much sweeter.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •