Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1734 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
    Here's a thought:

If GV turns out to be good enough to play 2nd line C for us next season, then Carter could move to 1st line RW,
    giving us a stellar 1st line that could strike fear in the hearts of any defense.
    Iíve heard hat somewhere before.

We trade Toffoli yet?
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

Default The Bannermen talk about Vilardi

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Vilardi didn't fall because of his skating, he fell cuz if you look at each pick above him , Every team got the player they were targeting.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

I missed this article from last month, but here it is now.

EXCERPT:
    “I think what we saw out of him in juniors, and the numbers that he put up in juniors, we look for him to battle for a spot on the team,” Blake said.

Vilardi was sidelined this past summer because of his back injury, but he participated in this year’s four-day development camp that ended Friday at Toyota Sports Center. After Thursday’s session, Murray spoke in glowing terms about Vilardi.

“I think he’s really worked hard, and he’s a special talent,” he said.

Murray believes Vilardi has blossomed emotionally, which could be a key factor to him making the team.

“He’s matured a lot in the last year,” Murray said. “Not that he wasn’t mature before, but he really understands that it’s going to be a tough challenge, but he’s up to all the challenges.”

The scouting report on Vilardi is he’s a lethal two-way center with terrific puck-handling skills and a composure about him. Murray adds to that.

“There are so many good things to say, but I think just the way he has the ability to see the play,” Murray said. “Not only see that play, but to see the next play. So if someone gives him the puck, he’s already looking for that next play.

“If it isn’t to shoot the puck, it’s to make a play to his linemates, teammates or whatever it may be. His offensive mind is special.”

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/06/29...make-the-team/
    Last edited by triplcrown; July 22nd, 2018 at 06:19 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

Default Just 4 Fun, try to guess-stimate how many points GV will have in his rookie season

A frivolous, useless pursuit?
    Yeah, probably.

But I'll do it for fun.
    Hey, it's summer.

But 1st,
    I'll do some research on recent rookie pts leaders to make this post as reasonably valid and informative as possible.

Some top-scoring rookies in recent seasons.

Taken from:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/p...sition/rookies

Age has to be taken into account, as player maturity can be a big factor in the player's impact.

Age listed is player's age in rookie season.

Our hero GV is still 18, but turns 19 in August.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

2017-2018:

NOTE: When games played is left out=complete season (82 games)

--Matthew Barzal, (at age 20 for most of season, now 21)-----85 pts.

--Clayton Keller----age 19----65 pts

--Yanni Gourde----age 26----64 pts

--Brock Boeser-----age 20-21 during season----55 pts in 62 games.

2016-2017:

--Auston Matthews----age 19 (as a rookie)----69 pts

--Patrick Laine-----age 19----64 pts in 73 games.

--William Nylander----age 20-21 in rookie season----61 pts in 81 games

--Mitch Marner----19-20 in rookie season----61 pts in 77 games

2015-2016:

--Artemi Panarin----age 24 as a rookie----82 pts in 81 games

--Jack Eichel----age 18----56 pts in 81 games

--Max Domi----19-20----52 pts in 81 games

(note: I am omitting Connor McDavid due to his being an acclaimed, generational talent, from the get-go)

--Dylan Larkin----age 19----45 pts in 80 games

2014-2015:

--Mark Stone----age 21-22----64 pts in 80 games

--Johnny Gaudreau----age 21----64 pts in 80 games (Mark Stone had 2 more goals)

--Filip Forsberg----age 20----63 pts

--Mike Hoffman----age 25----48 pts in 79 games

--Kevin Hayes----age 22--------45 pts in 79 games

2013-2014:

--Nathan MacKinnon----age 18----63 pts

--Ondrej Palat----age 21-22----59 pts in 81 games

--Tyler Johnson----age 23----50 pts

2012-2013:

-Shortened season--hard to compare--SKIPPED

2011-2012:

--Gabriel Landeskog----age 19-20 as rookie----52 pts

--Ryan Nugent-Hopkins----age 18-19----52 pts in 62 games

--Adam Henrique----age 20-21----51 pts in 74 games

--Matt Read----age 25----47 pts in 79 games

================================================== =========================================
    OK, now that I have gathered these stats, what do we make of them, in guess-timating
    what GV's rookie total will be?

Heck, I'm too tired right now.

I'll come back tomorrow and come up with my conclusion.

In the meantime, anybody else is welcome to check the stats and do the same.

If you have a crystal ball, please do not hesitate to use it.

Last edited by triplcrown; July 29th, 2018 at 07:25 AM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

While I VERY much appreciate the research and work done for this, ESPECIALLY since it's summer and I'm hockey starved, Most of those players were in situations where they can get top line minutes and opportunities. My expectations for GV would be right about the lines that Adrian Kempe put up last year. 16 g 21 assists in 81 games. More would be better. But it would have to be another injury filled disaster for The Kings to have to rely on him to carry the load this year.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2115 Post(s)

I can't wait to hear the "Volare" song after each goal he scores.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper9 View Post
    While I VERY much appreciate the research and work done for this, ESPECIALLY since it's summer and I'm hockey starved, Most of those players were in situations where they can get top line minutes and opportunities. My expectations for GV would be right about the lines that Adrian Kempe put up last year. 16 g 21 assists in 81 games. More would be better. But it would have to be another injury filled disaster for The Kings to have to rely on him to carry the load this year.
    I have lower expectations. He's an 18 year-old rookie who will be getting 2nd/3rd line minutes most likely. If he hits 15 points, I'll be happy. I'll be disappointed with less. A much older Iafallo who regularly played on the top line got 25 points.

What I care more about is Vilardi playing his game and not shying away from the puck. I want him to be decisive/play fast, because it's his sense of the game coupled with his skill that makes him special.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    405 Post(s)

I am going to be unreasonable and outlandish and say that from 50-60 pts is not out-of-the-question.

If he has a super-dynamic exhibition season, the team may be tempted to try him on the 2nd line between
    Pearson and Toffoli. If he sticks there right away and succeeds in that position, then the sky's the limit.

The advantage to doing that would be to free up Carter to be put on the 1st line with Kopi and Kovalchuk.
    (Please re-read the last sentence to fully absorb the implications).

Kopi got 61 pts as a rookie; Maybe GV could do similarly on the 2nd line and PP.

But admittedly, he would have to be literally spellbinding in exhibition season to open up that possibility.

The kid has accomplished all he's done while under the age of 19, and with missing the last 2 years' training camps/prep period
    for the season. This year, he's healthy and doing the full regimen in prep and conditioning for a full training camp and
    exhibition season. This kid was made for the NHL. I think he's gonna' tear it up this season. Rook-of-Year.

GV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kemp e/Iafallo

Other than skating speed, talent-level is not even close.

Have some faith in our boy!
    Last edited by triplcrown; July 29th, 2018 at 01:58 AM.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3052 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I have lower expectations. He's an 18 year-old rookie who will be getting 2nd/3rd line minutes most likely. If he hits 15 points, I'll be happy. I'll be disappointed with less. A much older Iafallo who regularly played on the top line got 25 points.
    Villardi is much more talented than Iafallo.