Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
    Some speculation on Gabriel Vilardi:

(starts around 50:52)

https://soundcloud.com/user-16115473...-two-angry-men

IMO, GV will fit better on the 2nd line than the 3rd line.
    I agree, though I do think it would be better if he was put on the wing so he had lesser responsibility to learn the game. Which is why I want to keep Carter, to give Vilardi that consistent player.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)

I said the same thing way back in the early stages of this thread, I believe. Play him on the big club next year, just let him start the first 10-15 games on the wing, so he has less responsibility while he learns the pace and strength of the game at the highest level. If he looks entirely out of place at wing, then sending him back down before the 10 game mark is a no brainer.

There is nothing to lose, even if he looks overwhelmed and out of place, as that will serve as a good lesson and reminder of just how much better he needs to be to excel at the NHL level, regardless of how bad he makes the rest of the CHL look.
    Last edited by DarkLeftHand; May 28th, 2018 at 08:36 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Default Fun quotes about Gabriel Vilardi

From various net sources ...

"A dynamic and often brilliant offensive attacker…has skilled hands and outstanding awareness…looks to set up his linemates with timely passes, but can also finish off the play when the opportunity is there…has nice size and uses it to protect the puck…has a quick jump and agility on his feet, but is not really a speed demon screaming up the ice…plays aggressively both when his team does and does not have the puck; often hunting it down and stripping it from his opponent…has a bag of tricks he uses to shake defenders and get his hard, accurate wrist shot off or dish a soft pass…very difficult to knock off the puck and is able to dangle in very tight spaces while under heaps of defensive pressure…a toolsy center who is just scratching the surface of his potential…a constant threat in the offensive zone…has the look of a future offensive catalyst at the NHL level."

"For such a big forward, he is very slippery and evasive in tight areas down low and is extremely dangerous with the puck behind the net."

"Skates well for his size and has no issues getting into position. Individual puck skills are at an elite level ..."

"He already plays a mature yet dynamic game, and that indicates success for a long time at higher levels. All-in-all, a dexterous 200-foot player that is a consistent threat every time he is on the ice."

"Vilardi is a playmaking centre that possesses numerous elite talents. His IQ and vision are extraordinary, and his stickhandling abilities are potentially the best in this draft class."

"Nearly impossible to strip the puck from, Vilardi weaves deep in the offensive zone, effortlessly fending off attackers, until a setup presents itself. At that point, he makes deft, accurate, deceptive passes that end up on the sticks of teammates before anyone else is aware that he’s moved the puck."

“The enhanced stats tell us [Vilardi] is the engine on this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased.”

"He has phone booth stickhandling ability and needs only a fraction of a fraction of a second to find an open teammate and get him the puck in shooting position."

"You guys just got the best prospect in the draft at 11. This is going to be a Kopitar-like steal. Congrats guys."

"His skating is exactly like Kopitar. Big body and odd skating. His agility is good, he can make a 180 degrees turnaround with relative ease."

"He is utterly dominant, there’s no other term for it. Skating is not even close to a concern, like watch a game, lol. He comes back and works damn hard in his own end, too. At wing or at centre, LA has an absolute gem. My pick for best player to come out of the 2017 draft class before the draft and probably still to this day. Between he and Pettersson - and a host of other guys, too (looking at Frost and Thomas and others drafted later in particular) - I don’t think the 2017 draft will go down as even close to a “weak” class.
    He also scores so many different ways."

"Gabe Vilardi has a Kopitar level skillset and ceiling but he shoots much more.... so i would say, yes. Oh and Kopitar was also viewed as a poor skater and dropped to 11th"

"Vilardi is prettier than a mule deer, more elusive than a gaborik in heat, relentless like a vervet monkey."
    Last edited by triplcrown; June 6th, 2018 at 10:14 PM.

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    427 Post(s)

exactly how elusive is a gaborik in heat?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Default Fun quotes about Kale Clague

(from various net sources)

"Clague is a smooth skating defender that isn’t shy to join the rush when given the opportunity to do so. He is a very strong skater with excellent mobility which allows him to beat a forechecker by himself. His defensive game has improved since the beginning of the season and he has really simplified his game. He has very good skills and a hard, accurate shot from the point. When he uses his skating ability to full advantage, he’s a very dynamic player."

"... an offensive weapon with a cannon of a shot."

"Still a top prospect in my opinion. A high risk, high reward player, but the rewards are worth it. His skating ability, puck handling and creativity are high end."

“He has excellent vision when moving the puck, makes a solid first pass out of the zone and is a composed player who makes good choices under pressure.”

"Kale Clague is an outstanding skater. He has great top-end speed and acceleration in both directions allowing him to be an effective two-way defender. He can join the rush or make pinches in the offensive zone and still get back quickly on defence. He pairs the speed with good agility, pivots, and balance. This allows him to cover a huge amount of ice and transition quickly and easily from defence to offence or vice versa."

"Clague’s defensive game is good for a 17-year old."

"He has already been tested in high pressure situations, and has come out looking great in the process."

"June 2018 – Clague really took it to another level in 2017-18. The highly mobile defenseman scored an impressive 71 points in 54 games between Brandon and Moose Jaw in 2017-18, which ranks him first among notable WHL defensemen with 1.31 points-per-game average and third with 0.46 power play assists per game. As he’ll need to work on his shot to make it to the NHL level, the 20-year-old should have no problem bringing his skating, vision and playmaking abilities to the Kings’ camp this upcoming fall."

"The smooth-skating defenseman is strong on both sides of the puck, despite not being overly physical. He has the skills to quarterback a power play and his first pass to start the breakout is almost always perfect. It’s starting to look like he could be a steal for the Kings after being taken in the second round of the 2016 NHL entry draft."

"Very mobile and smart defenseman. Can distribute the puck and foresee plays at NHL level already."

"A wiry two-way blueliner with quickness and an exceptional understanding of his position."

"If there’s one thing Clague is known for, it’s his blazing speed. Add a good set of hands and a knack for making the right play, and it’s easy to see why he’ll be a solid offensive defenceman at the professional rank."

“Clague is possibly the most purely talented defenceman I have seen come down the pipe in the last few years,”

"He’s far from being the biggest blueliner in the draft, but Clague has honed his game in the toughest of the three Canadian junior leagues.
    He plays a physical brand of hockey and is not afraid to get his hands dirty once in a while."

"Whether Clague prefers the Combo Burrito or the Spicy Chicken Quesadilla at Del Taco is unknown at this time."
    ================================================== ========================

Then there's this:
    https://www.axs.com/la-kings-prospec...enseman-130191

LA Kings prospect Kale Clague wins 2018 WHL award for top defenseman.

Clague felt that his growth on the defensive side of the puck was what helped separate him from the pack over the course of the season.

"My defensive game has come around. Over the last few years, I've put a focus on that,” said Clague. "The offensive side has always come naturally to me and I just wanted to work on my D zone and this year, in doing that, that helped me produce better numbers offensively."

Going into the offseason, the second round NHL draft pick has his sights set on playing in the National Hockey League next season.

"I need to continue to work on my overall game," he said. "I'm going to train hard this summer to put on ten pounds of muscle that I want to be able to put on and help me moving into pro with bigger and stronger guys. Then just to continue to work on my skill, my skating and defensive zone, so I’m looking forward to the fall and getting going there.”

Clague finished his WHL career with 26 goals, 167 points and a plus-58 rating in 195 career games.

https://www.discovermoosejaw.com/loc...top-defenceman
    Last edited by triplcrown; June 13th, 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    I agree, though I do think it would be better if he was put on the wing so he had lesser responsibility to learn the game. Which is why I want to keep Carter, to give Vilardi that consistent player.
    I dunno. A line of Kempe-Vilardi-Carter could be rather awesome.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

Default Kale Clague's feisty side

The point is not that he's anything to write home about as a fighter.
    He's not. Plus, he's only 6'/185 lbs.

But this guy is a high-skill-player and playmaker extraordinaire
    with a significant amount of feistiness to his game.

Can't wait to see him in Ontario next season.
    Love to see him finish next season in the NHL (after a roaring 1st half in the AHL), but we'll see.
    Last edited by triplcrown; June 14th, 2018 at 03:19 AM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3267 Post(s)

The point is not that he's anything to write home about as a fighter.
    He's not. Plus, he's only 6'/185 lbs.

But this guy is a high-skill-player and playmaker extraordinaire
    with a significant amount of feistiness to his game.

Can't wait to see him in Ontario next season.
    Love to see him finish next season in the NHL (after a roaring 1st half in the AHL), but we'll see.
    There's feistiness in jrs and then there's feistiness against older men. Being in Chicago I went to some wolves games to see Nic Hague (knights 2nd round pick) since he had finished with the steelheads and was getting to taste AHL action. He was doing great out there, all the skill and smarts you could ask for. Got comfortable enough to try and establish a physical presence and the look on his face when that dude turned on him was pretty priceless. So he had his first fight and I'm sure he wished his teammates had helped out a little more but its a lot to ask for these guys to put everything together in transferring up divisions.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

(from various net sources)

"Clague is a smooth skating defender that isn’t shy to join the rush when given the opportunity to do so. He is a very strong skater with excellent mobility which allows him to beat a forechecker by himself. His defensive game has improved since the beginning of the season and he has really simplified his game. He has very good skills and a hard, accurate shot from the point. When he uses his skating ability to full advantage, he’s a very dynamic player."

"... an offensive weapon with a cannon of a shot."

"Still a top prospect in my opinion. A high risk, high reward player, but the rewards are worth it. His skating ability, puck handling and creativity are high end."

“He has excellent vision when moving the puck, makes a solid first pass out of the zone and is a composed player who makes good choices under pressure.”

"Kale Clague is an outstanding skater. He has great top-end speed and acceleration in both directions allowing him to be an effective two-way defender. He can join the rush or make pinches in the offensive zone and still get back quickly on defence. He pairs the speed with good agility, pivots, and balance. This allows him to cover a huge amount of ice and transition quickly and easily from defence to offence or vice versa."

"Clague’s defensive game is good for a 17-year old."

"He has already been tested in high pressure situations, and has come out looking great in the process."

"June 2018 – Clague really took it to another level in 2017-18. The highly mobile defenseman scored an impressive 71 points in 54 games between Brandon and Moose Jaw in 2017-18, which ranks him first among notable WHL defensemen with 1.31 points-per-game average and third with 0.46 power play assists per game. As he’ll need to work on his shot to make it to the NHL level, the 20-year-old should have no problem bringing his skating, vision and playmaking abilities to the Kings’ camp this upcoming fall."

"The smooth-skating defenseman is strong on both sides of the puck, despite not being overly physical. He has the skills to quarterback a power play and his first pass to start the breakout is almost always perfect. It’s starting to look like he could be a steal for the Kings after being taken in the second round of the 2016 NHL entry draft."

"Very mobile and smart defenseman. Can distribute the puck and foresee plays at NHL level already."

"A wiry two-way blueliner with quickness and an exceptional understanding of his position."

"If there’s one thing Clague is known for, it’s his blazing speed. Add a good set of hands and a knack for making the right play, and it’s easy to see why he’ll be a solid offensive defenceman at the professional rank."

“Clague is possibly the most purely talented defenceman I have seen come down the pipe in the last few years,”

"He’s far from being the biggest blueliner in the draft, but Clague has honed his game in the toughest of the three Canadian junior leagues.
    He plays a physical brand of hockey and is not afraid to get his hands dirty once in a while."

"Whether Clague prefers the Combo Burrito or the Spicy Chicken Quesadilla at Del Taco is unknown at this time."
    ================================================== ========================

Then there's this:
    https://www.axs.com/la-kings-prospec...enseman-130191

LA Kings prospect Kale Clague wins 2018 WHL award for top defenseman.

Clague felt that his growth on the defensive side of the puck was what helped separate him from the pack over the course of the season.

"My defensive game has come around. Over the last few years, I've put a focus on that,” said Clague. "The offensive side has always come naturally to me and I just wanted to work on my D zone and this year, in doing that, that helped me produce better numbers offensively."

Going into the offseason, the second round NHL draft pick has his sights set on playing in the National Hockey League next season.

"I need to continue to work on my overall game," he said. "I'm going to train hard this summer to put on ten pounds of muscle that I want to be able to put on and help me moving into pro with bigger and stronger guys. Then just to continue to work on my skill, my skating and defensive zone, so I’m looking forward to the fall and getting going there.”

Clague finished his WHL career with 26 goals, 167 points and a plus-58 rating in 195 career games.

https://www.discovermoosejaw.com/loc...top-defenceman
    I have seen him play quite a bit. The description as "wiry two-way player" is apt. He has deceptive speed and good skill and has a great first pass/breakout pass. He excels on the pinch and know when to jump in on a play. I was really happy when he fell to the Kings and they were able to get him. His trade to Moose Jaw this year also threw him into a playoff race/championship run that just furthered his experience - along with manning the Junior Canadian team #1 pair, #1 PP and PK - in high pressure, high competition games. He is definitely a pair member on the 2nd line and may even see time with Doughty. It is just a question as to whether he starts in Ontario or LA this season. Can't wait to see what he does. Winning WHL Defender of the year is no small feat - remember the WHL has some very nice talent - Cal Foote (Adam's son), Colby Sissons and Jake Bean are all high end prospects.