Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Default Army opposes LVGK trademark

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/01/...hts-trademark/

Looks like the Army has a pretty good case.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Wow, this could get interesting. Always thought "Silver knights" would have made more sense, since Nevada is the Silver state to begin with.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

Personally I hope the Vegas knights win. I don't like the idea of wide ranging copyright protections. Stifles innovation.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)

Highlight from the VGK response:

… we are not aware of a single complaint from anyone attending our games that they were expecting to see the parachute team and not a professional hockey game.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3894 Post(s)

Everyone associates Vegas with nightlife. Las Vegas Knights would have been just fine.

Guess they wanted to minimize the "sin" in Sin City.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Personally I hope the Vegas knights win. I don't like the idea of wide ranging copyright protections. Stifles innovation.
    Trademark, not copyright. Trademark protections really don't stifle anything. And in this case there's pretty good evidence that Vegas was purposefully ripping off the Army's trademark.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Trademark, not copyright. Trademark protections really don't stifle anything. And in this case there's pretty good evidence that Vegas was purposefully ripping off the Army's trademark.
    Well I'll stand corrected on that. But the Army wouldn't deal on sharing the trademark according to reports. If they aren't willing to sell and they are in entirely different arenas why not allow the 2nd trademark. While they drew inspiration they are not branding based off the original.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Well I'll stand corrected on that. But the Army wouldn't deal on sharing the trademark according to reports. If they aren't willing to sell and they are in entirely different arenas why not allow the 2nd trademark. While they drew inspiration they are not branding based off the original.
    Well, whether they were willing to share the trademark is irrelevant, you can't force someone to sell their property. Whether they're in "entirely different arenas" is a different question. The hockey team and the parachute team are both in the entertainment business, so there's that commonality. Plus there's a possibility that "Golden Knights" could be deemed to infringe on "Black Knights" and if that's the case, Army has a Division I hockey team, which would then clearly be infringement. Vegas and Army logo designs, both featuring a knight's helmet and the same colors, are too close for comfort. If I'm Vegas's lawyer, I'm telling them to have some alternatives ready.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Well, whether they were willing to share the trademark is irrelevant, you can't force someone to sell their property. Whether they're in "entirely different arenas" is a different question. The hockey team and the parachute team are both in the entertainment business, so there's that commonality. Plus there's a possibility that "Golden Knights" could be deemed to infringe on "Black Knights" and if that's the case, Army has a Division I hockey team, which would then clearly be infringement. Vegas and Army logo designs, both featuring a knight's helmet and the same colors, are too close for comfort. If I'm Vegas's lawyer, I'm telling them to have some alternatives ready.
    That may be the case, I'd be of the opinion that the black knights in west point and the golden knights in vegas have nothing to do with each other. I would probably be told otherwise by people with their own interests at heart.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

That may be the case, I'd be of the opinion that the black knights in west point and the golden knights in vegas have nothing to do with each other. I would probably be told otherwise by people with their own interests at heart.
    It's not a matter of opinion so much as what is the legal standard for trademark protection.