Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1643 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingme View Post
    Refused to see his family in jail who flew out to visit him. Not much anybody can do for someone that doesn't want any help.
    Not that i have ALL the backstory, but in this case at least, it seems like it might be a good thing if somebody stepped in to intervene, even if he seemingly doesn't want help.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

All of your points are valid (in a healthy relationship) but as an adult how much pain would it cause you to see your parents for the first time in a decade from behind prison glass? Multiply that by ten if the relationship is strained. Siding with Matt if he does not want to see them, he has his reasons and I respect his choice.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    All of your points are valid (in a healthy relationship) but as an adult how much pain would it cause you to see your parents for the first time in a decade from behind prison glass? Multiply that by ten if the relationship is strained. Siding with Matt if he does not want to see them, he has his reasons and I respect his choice.
    What kind of "choice" is it if you're severely mentally ill? The guy has been rejecting help for far too long. He needs a serious intervention at this point.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1643 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    I mean, yeah... respect people's choices and all that. But not everybody if of sound mind. It's not like the guy just moved away and decided to stop talking with his parents. He's living on the street, cut off tie sto pretty much everyone, and their are personal accounts from close friends and family suggesting he's dealing with severe mental illness.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

Acknowledged the man needs help, not denying that fact. My issue is with the shade being thrown for not interacting with his family. The guy has enough problems. Look, I'm not a parent so maybe I don't get to have an opinion (fine) but my point is: bad parents exists. Not saying that they are bad parents but IF they are wouldn't a destructive relationship plus a mentally ill person equate to an exasperated situation?

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)

Might be doing self rehab in a place he can't get his vice. Hope he has the willpower to keep it up if he doesn't join a program.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

I hope this helps him turn his life around. It's never good to get arrested, but with his issues, it might just save his life, if he can somehow get treatment.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3296 Post(s)

I don't know about shade being thrown. I mean his family is in a terrible situation but they are trying to do what they think is the right thing. Matt no matter how you look at it, he needs some help. You add the two things together and I'm pretty cool with as an outside observer saying if someone needs help and keeps rejecting help, whelp thats probably not going to work out for them. This has all the markings of a tragedy.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1812 Post(s)

With what I read in the article from TSN, and all other articles and reports, my strong feelings/guess is that Matt has mild/moderate schizophrenia, combined with the affects of CTE, and a severe addiction to pain killers/opiates.

He is not of sound mind. A mental condition, combined with addiction is a one-two punch of having ZERO grasp of your reality and/or the ability to grapple with it.
    It appears his family clearly understands this. Matt however does not.

Matt cannot "fix" himself on his own. He needs heavy duty psychiatric help and addiction/recover help.
    Sadly the "odds" of beating both a severe pain killer/opiate addiction and a mental disorder (of what appears to be this variety-schizophrenia-) are very, very low.

Sadly on top of all this, it appears the NHL/NHLPA did him no favors both during and after his career.

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

Forgive me, I'm a type it send it kind of person and my "writing style" is probably super tactless and abrasive (comparatively?) so this could be a lost in translation situation; hearing the critique and will make an effort to amend. =)

As far as Matt and his parents are concerned: they are making an effort and doing the right thing, good for them. But still not going to eat Matt's lunch for not immediately accepting their help regardless of how much he may need it. Free will and whatnot. But understand where everyone is coming from on wanting the best for Matt.