All Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    573 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    He is not of sound mind. A mental condition, combined with addiction is a one-two punch of having ZERO grasp of your reality and/or the ability to grapple with it.
    It appears his family clearly understands this. Matt however does not.
    That's the key and also why things like interventions won't work. The time for an intervention was years ago when he still had a grasp of reality but from the sound of things, he's beyond that now. Things like logic, reason, and appealing to their own self interest don't work because they think they're fine and everyone else has a problem. That's their reality and you aren't going to get them to see otherwise. Of course, most people in this situation are also "sane" enough to avoid being committed, and even if they get committed it is usually just for a short period of time and then are released and are expected to keep taking meds they don't want to take and most likely are incapable of managing on a day-to-day basis. There just isn't a lot of hope in situations like this.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1644 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Forgive me, I'm a type it send it kind of person and my "writing style" is probably super tactless and abrasive (comparatively?) so this could be a lost in translation situation; hearing the critique and will make an effort to amend. =)

As far as Matt and his parents are concerned: they are making an effort and doing the right thing, good for them. But still not going to eat Matt's lunch for not immediately accepting their help regardless of how much he may need it. Free will and whatnot. But understand where everyone is coming from on wanting the best for Matt.
    Simply put, i'm not trying to advocate for a happy reunion (per se) with his parents. They may be **** parents for all i know. But given the circumstances, i think the guy needs medical/mental treatment, and likely it will go "against his wishes". But seriously ill people, who are not of sound mind, are people that need others to step in for them. I mean, I wouldn't let me drunk friend drive home just because it was what he wanted. If he was of sound mind, and sober, and was making a poor decision, then fine. Do what you want. But there are definitely cases where you have to do what's right, rather than what the other person may think they want.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Denny's pancakes do double facepalm ...

magniloquent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

"I may not be the smartest player on the ice..."

Remember THAT promo before the start of Kings games?

Taxi Squad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    376 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Simply put, i'm not trying to advocate for a happy reunion (per se) with his parents. They may be **** parents for all i know. But given the circumstances, i think the guy needs medical/mental treatment, and likely it will go "against his wishes". But seriously ill people, who are not of sound mind, are people that need others to step in for them. I mean, I wouldn't let me drunk friend drive home just because it was what he wanted. If he was of sound mind, and sober, and was making a poor decision, then fine. Do what you want. But there are definitely cases where you have to do what's right, rather than what the other person may think they want.
    Understood. And i'm coo-with that, H.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Not sure how much this matters but didn't he play long enough to get a monthly retirement from the NHL??Another thing ,if he refused to see his siblings it sounds like he won't accept help from family.Its really sad.I remember him playing back in the 90s..I sure hope someone can get through to him.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    813 Post(s)

What makes it even sadder is that being in jail is probably an upgrade. At least he’ll have a roof over his head and some food.

Retired Popo now Mr. Mom
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Unless his family, Law Enforcement or a mental health team can prove he is a danger to himself, danger to others or is "gravely disabled" (Lots of legal stipulations with that one) there is no way to force him to get the psychiatric help it appears he needs.

Nasti is correct as well. He seems like he is sane enough to realize that as long as he is in custody, he gets "3 hots and a cot." If he does get convicted of a crime most likely it will be probation with no jail time because of time served, possibly with court ordered drug rehab that he will most likely wont complete. He will then violate his probation and a arrest warrant will be issued. If he stays in LA County he will be arrested on that warrant again and again. If he leaves the county most likely the warrant will be ignored. All this time with no mental health administered.

The mean streets are filled with "Matt Johnsons" and I dealt with plenty of them in my 22 years except most of them did not have well paying pro Hockey career. He needs to want to get better or else he will stay on the streets and most likely end up in the coroners office one day.
    We are the Samurai, the warrior elite who protect and serve. Armed and armored from head to toe, masters of our personal weapons and bound by Honor, Duty, Loyalty, and Honesty. We walk the long path into the places society would prefer forgotten, and chase those demons that most would run from screaming in fear. We are the Samurai.

Slaves & Bulldozers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Very sad