Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
    Doesn't even turn 19 til August. That never quit attitude with his decisiveness and skill definitely make the "poor skating" manageable.

Highlights from the game where he got 3 assists:
    http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...18-osh-1-kgn-4
    To be fair of his skating assessments, he absolutely dogged it backchecking on more than a few occasions. He was able to find the higher gear on attack, but he was slow-footed in coverages and in defensive transition.

Thats not unusual for highly skilled offensive players, of course, but it may put a damper on the straight to the NHL talk.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    To be fair of his skating assessments, he absolutely dogged it backchecking on more than a few occasions. He was able to find the higher gear on attack, but he was slow-footed in coverages and in defensive transition.

Thats not unusual for highly skilled offensive players, of course, but it may put a damper on the straight to the NHL talk.
    Fair point, but I chalk that up to being young and not appreciating the nuances of defense. His effort level offensively is off the charts. If he even applies half of that to defense, he'll be fine.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

I always take evaluations of skating with a grain of salt. Not because they aren't important, but because what people mean by them varies so dramatically. For some evaluators it is a simple reference to speed. For others its form and/or efficiency referring to mobility, turns, starts and stops, transitions from back to forward, etc., and for still others, like Mondo Blanco above is used to refer to effort. And for still others it is about decision-making-do they make their turn facing the play /puck or away from it. Do they do that because their skating is weak, or because they aren't well coached, etc.

Anyway, some of these things matter more than others...and some can be overcome relatively easily and others are far more difficult.

Enjoy the chaos
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Ice View Post
    I always take evaluations of skating with a grain of salt. Not because they aren't important, but because what people mean by them varies so dramatically. For some evaluators it is a simple reference to speed. For others its form and/or efficiency referring to mobility, turns, starts and stops, transitions from back to forward, etc., and for still others, like Mondo Blanco above is used to refer to effort. And for still others it is about decision-making-do they make their turn facing the play /puck or away from it. Do they do that because their skating is weak, or because they aren't well coached, etc.

Anyway, some of these things matter more than others...and some can be overcome relatively easily and others are far more difficult.
    I've always been a terrible skater so I avoid criticisms of how player's skate, because I genuinely don't know what I'm talking about.

Unless it's something that really stands out, like when it used to look like Michael Mersch was just stomping his way around the ice.