Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would the Kings try to acquire in a trade?

Waiting for the night
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Shea Weber and Andrew Shaw. Cmon Montreal you know you wanna see Muzzin and Gaborik in rouge, bleu, et blanc.
    And thats how you get ants!

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketheKing View Post
    Dang people, you really want to give up Quick, the one piece that plays his heart out each game for us? Yes, he is having a rough patch, but he is top 5 goalies in the world and we can't get rid of him period, unless you are willing to take 2 steps backwards and re-enter the glory days of Fiset, Cloutier, LaBarbara, Burke? Felix Potvin, I'll grant you was nice while it lasted.

If you want the team to be competitive, get some upgrades on Top D pairing and Top 6 players that can actually skate and score.
    That's the reason why. He still has a lot of value and the Kings simply don't have a team who can compete for a Cup. Quick is played way too much and is getting hurt too often. Hell, he is hurt now again. The window is now imo. Too many years left on his contract. Plus with the heart of the team gone (Williams, Mitchell, RR, etc.) this team just doesn't seem to have the heart. A revamp will vitalize this team as in trading some of these core players now.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    403 Post(s)

Quick would get the best return and let's face it. The way the Kings are using him, he will be wore out in two years. Kuemper can get done.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1624 Post(s)

Considering we're discussing who they would trade for, not "the Kings suck and should fire sale everyone", I'd probably look at shoring up the D. Im assuming Carter will be back around trade deadline, which would presumably give a solid boost to the offense. What we need is probably a 2nd pairing guy on D that would allow players to slot into better roles and give us the depth we're lacking. I would think a 2nd pairing defenseman could be had at a reasonable price, and that's where i'd be looking. I'd even go so far as to narrow it down to more of a stay at home type player over a flashy scoring defenseman.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    664 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Considering we're discussing who they would trade for, not "the Kings suck and should fire sale everyone", I'd probably look at shoring up the D. Im assuming Carter will be back around trade deadline, which would presumably give a solid boost to the offense. What we need is probably a 2nd pairing guy on D that would allow players to slot into better roles and give us the depth we're lacking. I would think a 2nd pairing defenseman could be had at a reasonable price, and that's where i'd be looking. I'd even go so far as to narrow it down to more of a stay at home type player over a flashy scoring defenseman.
    Agreed. I'm not ready to blow up the team quite yet. A strong d-man is what is needed right now. Carts will bolster the offense. Only question is if it will be too late or can the Kings hang round for the next month until he arrives. That being said, if the Kings decide to go into full rebuild mode than you probably have to trade Carter, Quick & Pearson (possibly more) and really make a hard decision on Dewey if you think there is no way you will sign him.

Jerseys need purple
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)

I think the only thing the Kings should try to acquire in a trade is draft picks and the lowering of their salary cap.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    Kings need picks. Don’t worry about players unless they are young so they can develop. This team is 5 years away from anything. You’re going to trade Doughty, Carter and hopefully someone else for picks and a young players.
    5 Years mean you blow it up and start over. You trade everything that isn't bolted down and lose. A lot. How do I know this? I saw Lombardi do it.

If Doughty is a King, you keep tweaking and retooling and build around him. Evidence that this works? The Pittsburgh Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    I still think Rutherford is ballsy enough to do something like a Letang for Carter deal.
    Nope. Carter at his age is less of an injury risk than Letang.

Quote Originally Posted by jgs View Post
    Quick would get the best return and let's face it. The way the Kings are using him, he will be wore out in two years. Kuemper can get done.
    Then wear him out. That's what he's getting paid for.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1517 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Then wear him out. That's what he's getting paid for.
    It's the term, not the cap hit that is the problem with "wearing him out".
    Deano's 10 year deal was/is horrific.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)

I've been on the fence about this for a long time but I am truly starting to believe that we need to be sellers at the deadline. We need picks to start restocking the cupboard and we need to get rid of some contracts. With Brown performing, a playoff bound team might be willing to take a risk on a physical, goal scoring forward. Same thing with Carter. He's one of my favorite players, but looking long term, a playoff team could use a player like him (especially with one with so few games played this year).

We have assets on this roster that can help us secure some semblance of long term success but it's going to be ugly for a while. Unfortunately, I think it needs to be done and sooner rather than later. I don't know if we can continue the "Let's give the current crop one more year" mentality.

While we're on the topic, as much as I hate to say it (and you can crucify me for it) I think Doughty will be gone. I don't think Drew resigns here. I know lifestyle, culture etc help when it comes to the attractiveness of the team but he wants to win Cups. I don't think the current crop of players will do that.

I'm preaching to the choir about the following contracts but the facts remain ...

Quick (2022/2023 season)
    Brown (2021/2022 season)
    Gaborik (2020/2021 season)

Let's hear it ... (my armor is thick LOL)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3154 Post(s)

Restocking talk aside I'll tell you one thing for sure. The kings probably realize there are only 2 players on the team that people would pay to watch play. That's Doughty and Quick. If they arent selling stars and they aren't winning as a team then its going to be hard. Building marketing around Brown hitting people was one thing. Building marketing around Kopitar is much more difficult simply because he doesn't do enough to make a casual fan oogle and his game is maddening at times even for the more sophisticated crowd. They probably can't trade for that star so better figure out what they want to do about it.