0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    550 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Brown is down from his start.
    Kopi isn't.
    Quick was bound to regress after his hot start.

Depth is a huge problem. Kempe isn't ready to be a 2C but there is no one else. The 3rd and 4th lines give nothing. I would love to swap the LVK 3rd and 4th for the Kings.

Doughty doesn't trust his partners and is trying to do to much.
    Martinez leading in blocked shots. It gets quoted as some kind of achievement when it's actually a horrible sign.

Stevens changed the game plans to start the season. Teams have adjusted. Now he has to re-adjust.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. Like you said teams have adjusted and focused their attention on Kopitar's line and there's nobody else to pick up the slack. Kempe is being forced to play minutes he's not ready for with Carter out and the bottom 6 are barely NHL caliber or ready.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)

The problem is team chemistry. The Kings don't have the speed to compete and also lack the talent needed. Kings need to trade some of their best assets in order to bring in good talent with speed.

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    807 Post(s)

There are two basic reasons the Kings are where they are and why they've played the way they've played:

1) The new system includes more risk.

This season, with Stevens loosening the reigns, the team is more aggressive moving forward. Skill plays, but more importantly, timing or "space" plays, are way more frequent.

When they work, tipping a puck to an area or where a man should be, the team is moving the puck more quickly than the D can account for. It opens up space and generates speed. And the team looks like they could take on anyone in the league.

But, they are diffused more easily. A skate or stick in the way, a bump to throw off the pass, or if the timing is slightly off, then the Kings are caught on the wrong foot. The turnover gives the advantage to the other team.

And with dmen joining the rush more, and forwards booking it up ice anticipating the play, well, there's less cover to create a sound defensive structure.

The style is less reliable, so it's less consistent .

2) The team is relying on young players.

There are kids, a few of them rookies, who are in positions where there isn't much room to hide. In particular, of course, Kempe and Iafallo.

Yes, Anze is back to his usual self. Doughty's doing very well. Brown and Quick had a good starts. Gabby had a bump when he came back. Lewis has already hit his career high in goals.
    But we've seen those guys do their things before, and it's not enough. 1 playoff game won in 3 seasons.

So these kids are in scoring positions where there production is key. And you see it in the results: When they play well, the Kings win. If not, it'll be a long night. But you can't reasonably expect kids, rookies, to be consistent. So the team is inconsistent.

I'm not gonna go into the larger underlying problems contributing to those two reasons. They've been covered ad nauseum and are still being discussed here.

But in the end, this team is gonna be subject to two factors that, really, aren't controllable. The results on any given night are gonna be a grab bag. And we're just as likely to see a 4-0 win in fine style as we are to see a 4-0 loss by the Keystone Kings. Or a six game streak of either variety.

No significant help is going to come, with the possible exception of Carter. But even with him having his best season in several seasons last year, it just wasn't enough. This team will continue to be what the team has been all season.

I've made my peace with that and will continue to see how that develops.

SHOOT!
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)

Doesn't matter, the results just aren't there.

When the team can't score, Quick tries to do too much. If he lets in a softy, the opposite. And they all know they're screwed.

We've seen it before, and we'll see it again - quite possibly tonight.

The Don - Bob Corleone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

For what's it worth, I would support a full rebuild, as in "from scratch" and one that comes with a five-year plan.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    There are two basic reasons the Kings are where they are and why they've played the way they've played:

1) The new system includes more risk.

This season, with Stevens loosening the reigns, the team is more aggressive moving forward. Skill plays, but more importantly, timing or "space" plays, are way more frequent.

When they work, tipping a puck to an area or where a man should be, the team is moving the puck more quickly than the D can account for. It opens up space and generates speed. And the team looks like they could take on anyone in the league.

But, they are diffused more easily. A skate or stick in the way, a bump to throw off the pass, or if the timing is slightly off, then the Kings are caught on the wrong foot. The turnover gives the advantage to the other team.

And with dmen joining the rush more, and forwards booking it up ice anticipating the play, well, there's less cover to create a sound defensive structure.

The style is less reliable, so it's less consistent .

2) The team is relying on young players.

There are kids, a few of them rookies, who are in positions where there isn't much room to hide. In particular, of course, Kempe and Iafallo.

Yes, Anze is back to his usual self. Doughty's doing very well. Brown and Quick had a good starts. Gabby had a bump when he came back. Lewis has already hit his career high in goals.
    But we've seen those guys do their things before, and it's not enough. 1 playoff game won in 3 seasons.

So these kids are in scoring positions where there production is key. And you see it in the results: When they play well, the Kings win. If not, it'll be a long night. But you can't reasonably expect kids, rookies, to be consistent. So the team is inconsistent.

I'm not gonna go into the larger underlying problems contributing to those two reasons. They've been covered ad nauseum and are still being discussed here.

But in the end, this team is gonna be subject to two factors that, really, aren't controllable. The results on any given night are gonna be a grab bag. And we're just as likely to see a 4-0 win in fine style as we are to see a 4-0 loss by the Keystone Kings. Or a six game streak of either variety.

No significant help is going to come, with the possible exception of Carter. But even with him having his best season in several seasons last year, it just wasn't enough. This team will continue to be what the team has been all season.

I've made my peace with that and will continue to see how that develops.
    I still see Sutter's team out there on certain nights where they always fall back to the point shot mentality. Also a lot of players aren't getting into the soft areas to score enough. They've lacked creativity on many nights. The first 20 games of the season the Kings were attacking the middle of the ice quite frequently and created many scoring chances of greasy goals within 5 ft of the net. It was fun hockey to watch.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3671 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soyokaze View Post
    I still see Sutter's team out there on certain nights where they always fall back to the point shot mentality. Also a lot of players aren't getting into the soft areas to score enough. They've lacked creativity on many nights. The first 20 games of the season the Kings were attacking the middle of the ice quite frequently and created many scoring chances of greasy goals within 5 ft of the net. It was fun hockey to watch.
    It is kinda sad to watch them retreating into that pointless perimeter mentality.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1182 Post(s)

Between the abysmal performance on the ice paired with Faust and Fox calling the games, I no longer care if I miss watching a game...they have been tougher and tougher to watch as it is.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    925 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soyokaze View Post
    And the point shot hockey remains just as dull and uninspired to watch. I'll be there tonight to root them on hoping that we can finally outplay a bad team rather than play down to their level.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Between the abysmal performance on the ice paired with Faust and Fox calling the games, I no longer care if I miss watching a game...they have been tougher and tougher to watch as it is.
    This lament more than anything should get luc and Rob's attention. They have to decide what they are selling. Past glory, exciting product, winning hockey? Pick one and stay hell-bent on message.