Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    3-5 games minimum.
    I hate this cheap shot crap!

NHL should get serious.
    If you are implying that this was a deliberate cheap shot, then I disagree. As a forechecker, you are looking to get a piece of your opponent. When two players are moving towards each other, there is scant time for the forechecker to respond to a sudden move. What Brown thought was the correct angle got changed faster than he could adequately and legally respond.

Should Brown have peeled off to his right to evade contact? Of course, but decisions within that split second are a challenge. IMO, this was an unfortunate contact; certainly not a deliberately "cheap" hit.

Now having said that, I will agree that despite never having been suspended for it, Brown seems to have been prone throughout his career to this "mistake". Rather than being malicious however, I see it as a combination of his mindset for a hit combined with less than top-notch agility.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1510 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post
    If you are implying that this was a deliberate cheap shot, then I disagree. As a forechecker, you are looking to get a piece of your opponent. When two players are moving towards each other, there is scant time for the forechecker to respond to a sudden move. What Brown thought was the correct angle got changed faster than he could adequately and legally respond.

Should Brown have peeled off to his right to evade contact? Of course, but decisions within that split second are a challenge. IMO, this was an unfortunate contact; certainly not a deliberately "cheap" hit.

Now having said that, I will agree that despite never having been suspended for it, Brown seems to have been prone throughout his career to this "mistake". Rather than being malicious however, I see it as a combination of his mindset for a hit combined with less than top-notch agility.
    It's cheap. No doubt. Even the video says that Brown's hit was being evaded....Brown knowing this extends his elbow AND knee. BOTH of those are illegal. Brown has done this before.
    The NHL vid goes on to say "All contact is avoidable. Brown has time for a full body check or avoid all contact." Brown chose the cheap shot elbow and knee. Brown chose to extend his elbow and knee. Both of which are illegal.

How is extending your elbow and knee not deliberate?!?!?!
    I don't apologize for cheap shots. Neither should any fan.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4257 Post(s)

It was just dumb. He has limited hockey sense and is prone to making stupid plays.

Trying to hit somebody in the middle of the ice without making any play on the puck is the kind of dumb decision that leads to these kinds of penalties. It's not malicious, just stupid.

All Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    550 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    It's not malicious, just stupid.
    I've tried to explain that to a number of people. Brown isn't Darcy Tucker or Brian Marchment, he's not trying to take someone's knee out but his horrible decision making ends up doing it anyway.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1182 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsave30 View Post
    Take out the enforcers they said. It'll be a cleaner game they said.
    Here is the thing about "enforcers". Now a days, they (the remaining few) only fight each other, so who/what are they enforcing?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1510 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    I've tried to explain that to a number of people. Brown isn't Darcy Tucker or Brian Marchment, he's not trying to take someone's knee out but his horrible decision making ends up doing it anyway.
    Then what exactly then is Brown thinking in his "stupid" or "horrible" mental state when he throws out an elbow AND a knee?
    Both elbowing and kneeing are illegal. Kneeing and elbowing (especially kneeing) lead to injuries, hence why they are illegal.

I've never thought of Brown as not having the mental capacity to not understand this.

His horrible decision was to try to make that dumb open ice hit. When the hit was avoided, Brown wanted to make contact anyway he could, so he stuck out his elbow and his knee knowing full well that two players coming right at each other at a high rate of speed will result in a significant collision.
    Throwing an elbow or a knee at that rate will result in a very high probability of injury.

Brown may not be the smartest guy in terms of hockey sense, but don't try to sell him as being flat out stupid, as if he does not know throwing an elbow and knee is going to have dire consequences.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1182 Post(s)

Time wounds all heels.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Oh yea, that time Roszival nearly died on the ice from a hit to the THIGH. I loved the ending to that game BTW.

RANGZ
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1377 Post(s)

Kneeing:
    Roszival, Hertl, Tarasenko (olympics), Sergachev

I'm sure I've missed a few

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4257 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moog View Post
    Then what exactly then is Brown thinking in his "stupid" or "horrible" mental state when he throws out an elbow AND a knee?
    Both elbowing and kneeing are illegal. Kneeing and elbowing (especially kneeing) lead to injuries, hence why they are illegal.

I've never thought of Brown as not having the mental capacity to not understand this.

His horrible decision was to try to make that dumb open ice hit. When the hit was avoided, Brown wanted to make contact anyway he could, so he stuck out his elbow and his knee knowing full well that two players coming right at each other at a high rate of speed will result in a significant collision.
    Throwing an elbow or a knee at that rate will result in a very high probability of injury.

Brown may not be the smartest guy in terms of hockey sense, but don't try to sell him as being flat out stupid, as if he does not know throwing an elbow and knee is going to have dire consequences.
    He does dumb stuff practically on a shift by shift basis. This just caused an injury.

I don't see him trying to injure the opposition, I see him going for a big dumb hit, leaning in to make as much contact as he can, and a player who could lean to avoid the shoulder but not the knee.